Which miditower case for a DAW computer?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

klappa

Which miditower case for a DAW computer?

Post by klappa » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:01 am

I have spent months trying to find a case optimal for music production where silence is the most important thing. I haven't found anyone that really sticks out so i thought i make thread for this.

I've looked into these cases. Fractal Design Define, Cooler Master Sileo 500, Antec Solo or NZXT H2.

As long they all have dampening materials. And the fans i would replace with Noctuas anyway so they don't matter much.

Which of the cases is most suited for DAW use?

Thanks!

boost

Re: Which miditower case for a DAW computer?

Post by boost » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:26 am

Antec Solo, if you use hard drives. Because the Solo has a build-in hard drive suspension.
For DAW work you don't need a hot graphics card, so one 92mm in the front and another fan on the CPU cooler, maybe one in the PSU should do.

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:01 pm

Best? Make one with 3/4 " particle board,as if building a speaker cab.

Have QUIET components, not an overkill of power.look at ONE BIG low RPM fan where the soundwaves are deflected.

SSD drives are silent and can handle your OS and software. You can use an external eSATA drive as mass storage. That can be 6 ft from the main unit...as in behind a cabinet.

A DAW does not need to be hopped up and overclocked like a Gamer rig. It needs to be QUIET.

magu2k

Post by magu2k » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:34 pm

I've had good luck with the Sonata in the past, Solo is good too, but have not compared them myself. But yeah don't need to worry usually too much about performance focus on quieter parts, I did like the Sonata because it was all steel, easy to access internals, and hard disk noise isolators