High Performance - Low Noise Case

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

gcwebbyuk

High Performance - Low Noise Case

Post by gcwebbyuk » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:52 am

I currently have a Coolermaster CM690-II Advanced case.

It has each of the 6 main fan bays filled with a Scythe S-Flex E fan (running at about 500rpm).

I then use a Gainward Phantom GTX570 GPU and a Coolermaster V10 with the fans replaced with S-Flex Es.

All in all, this setup is enough to keep my i7 2600k (oc'd to 4.5GHz) under 70c at load, and the GPU under 80c at load.

The system is pretty much silent at normal working usage, but is noticeable when gaming (this isn't a problem).

I am pretty happy with the setup... however...

I want to try out a different case. What cases are there that will provide the same amount of cooling and still be quiet?

I have looked at the Define XL, Corsair Obsidian series, Silverstone Raven / Fortress series

My concern is that I will buy another case to dabble with, and find it is either not as good at cooling, or is louder.

What can you suggest (and don't say keep the CM690-II :mrgreen: )

cordis

Re: High Performance - Low Noise Case

Post by cordis » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:41 pm

I have a fortress, and it's a great case for cooling high powered systems. I have an i7 980x in it with dual gtx 460s, all OCed to various degrees, and it can keep them all pretty cool under load without a lot of noise. Of course, for your system I would ditch the V10, I've never read a review of that where it comes close to the higher end coolers you can get.

The only other thing you may want to consider is that it looks like you do some water cooling on your signature systems. The fortress probably wouldn't be an ideal case for water cooling, of your choices the obsidian would probably be best for that. So if you're considering switching from air to water at any point in the future, you may want to reconsider. But for a single gtx 570 and an i7 2600k with air, the fortress should be more than up for it.

gcwebbyuk

Post by gcwebbyuk » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:36 pm

Thanks for the reply.

You would be suprised how well the V10 works with Scythes as a quiet cooler. It ticks over with the fans at 500rpm - and keeps the CPU plenty cool enough.

It is a bit of a monster though!

I am just moving my components onto an Asus Sabertooth P67 - so hoping the downward facing fan will blow some air under the TUF armour casing on the board.

I am not really into WC any more. I spent a lot of time and money on it, and in the end swapped it all for the V10 and Phantom - not really looked back!

Which Fortress do you own? It would be the FT02 I would get - and possibly followed by an FT03 for my HTPC.

cordis

Post by cordis » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:53 pm

I have an FT 02, although I later made a case that was something like the FT 03. The vertical fan arrangement seems pretty effective to me. :D

gcwebbyuk

Post by gcwebbyuk » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:27 am

Are you using the stock fans with the case? If so - which ones are they and how do they compare to say a Scyte S-Flex E?