Looking for case advice

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

swaf

Looking for case advice

Post by swaf » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:58 am

Hi,

I have pretty much settled on my system components, but can't decide on the case. I'm not a heavy computer user: I don't game, some photo editing is involved, but for the rest: normal pc use (browsing, music, etc). No OC'ing whatsoever. I do like a fast sytem though, since I can't stand a computer hanging, and also I don't update often. My previous pc is five years old and now the mobo has given up on me. So, I want something that will last as long as possible.

These are my sysytem components. You can comment if you want, but I have been reading a lot on them and my choice is pretty much made.

CPU: i5 2400 (I realise the 2500K has the better built-in GPU, but it's also more expensive and I am confident the 2400 will do)
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H67MA-UD2H-B3 (close call between this one and the MSI H67MA-E35-B3. The Gigabyte has better components for increased durability and that's why I chose it, although it has only two fan headers. I might need extra fan control).
No discrete GPU.
RAM: 1033MHz Mushkin Silverline 8GB: 2 x 4 GB (cheapest quality RAM in the shop I order)
PSU: Nexus NX-5000 (seems most quiet and affordable PSU to me. Seasonic X-550 would perhaps be better, but too expensive. I'm sure the Nexus will be fine.)
CPU cooler: I was thinking about Scythe Mugen 3 or perhaps 2, if it fits the case.
HDs: I have two old HDs that I want to reuse (they have combo SATA and IDE connections, you can imagine their age). Both are WD160GB. I'm sure they'll make lots of idle noise.
Some old DVDRW optical discdrive
Some N-Wifi PCI or PCI-E card.

I think eventually I'll evolve toward SSD, but right now I'll be saving my money for a bit. I already have a NAS (Readynas NVX) making a lot of noise in my basement for storage. Combined with a single system-SSD in my pc and gigabit ethernet to link the two should make for a more quiet system. Problem: the ethernet cable. I find wifi a tad too slow to use the NAS as storage HD. But it's hard to get a cable upto the living room.

Now, problem. I'm looking for the ideal case. I don't want it to be too big, I don't need that.

So far I have three candidates.

Antec Solo
Fractal Design Define Mini
NZXT H2 Classic Silent

Of those three, the Fractal mini is the smallest. Price of the three is comparable.

Now:

Antec Solo.
Dislikes: Top PSU, will probably have to replace the Tricool fans, some threads around here where people kept saying that, while it's not a bad case, it's old and there are better cases available for the same money (such as?).

Fractal Mini.
Likes: smaller, nice estethics, bottom PSU with vents underneath (in combination with my bottom fanned PSU this means it'll suck cool air directly from outside the case - the NX-5000 does have a back grille that might pump hot air back into the case though)
Dislikes: no HD suspention system (but I can rig one myself easily, seems like there's enough place for that), only two 5.25 external bays (I wanted a DVDRW, fan control and a cardreader: that's three)

NZXT H2.
Dislikes: no HD suspention system (but can rig one myself), airflow

So far I'm stuck. I'll help greatly if anyone could offer me some new insights...

Dr. Jim Pomatter

Re: Looking for case advice

Post by Dr. Jim Pomatter » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:42 pm

swaf wrote:My previous pc is five years old and now the mobo has given up on me. So, I want something that will last as long as possible.
It is best to have a system last a long time. It is better for the environment, as it causes less "e-waste". Also, building PC's is a skill that has a close-to-zero value.
swaf wrote:These are my sysytem components. You can comment if you want, but I have been reading a lot on them and my choice is pretty much made.
They are fine choices, but we always have different opinions around here then the gaming sites.
swaf wrote:CPU: i5 2400 (I realise the 2500K has the better built-in GPU, but it's also more expensive and I am confident the 2400 will do)
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H67MA-UD2H-B3 (close call between this one and the MSI H67MA-E35-B3. The Gigabyte has better components for increased durability and that's why I chose it, although it has only two fan headers. I might need extra fan control).
No discrete GPU.
RAM: 1033MHz Mushkin Silverline 8GB: 2 x 4 GB (cheapest quality RAM in the shop I order)
PSU: Nexus NX-5000 (seems most quiet and affordable PSU to me. Seasonic X-550 would perhaps be better, but too expensive. I'm sure the Nexus will be fine.)
CPU cooler: I was thinking about Scythe Mugen 3 or perhaps 2, if it fits the case.
HDs: I have two old HDs that I want to reuse (they have combo SATA and IDE connections, you can imagine their age). Both are WD160GB. I'm sure they'll make lots of idle noise.
Some old DVDRW optical discdrive
Some N-Wifi PCI or PCI-E card.
Gigabyte makes nice boards. They currently are using an old PC-style BIOS (not UEFI) with a 2+ TB change that some people call a "hack". Look it up if you think you will want to use a large drive in the future. In this generation, I have been recommending ASUS.

Have you considered the Pentium G840 or G850? They have most (85%) of the single-threaded performance of the i5-2400, but they cost about 1/2 as much ($95 vs $190).

What is your monitor resolution?
swaf wrote:I think eventually I'll evolve toward SSD, but right now I'll be saving my money for a bit. I already have a NAS (Readynas NVX) making a lot of noise in my basement for storage. Combined with a single system-SSD in my pc and gigabit ethernet to link the two should make for a more quiet system. Problem: the ethernet cable. I find wifi a tad too slow to use the NAS as storage HD. But it's hard to get a cable upto the living room.
I have had the same problem. I eventually ran a cable up to the second floor through the cool air return ducts.
swaf wrote:Now, problem. I'm looking for the ideal case. I don't want it to be too big, I don't need that.
What was wrong with your old case? (This will help us understand your needs.)
Last edited by Dr. Jim Pomatter on Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

swaf

Post by swaf » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:41 pm

What was wrong with your old case? (This will help us understand your needs.)
Nothing, I just want something decent this time, something that lasts. It was a cheap pc, bought in one piece for $800 at the local discount store. Case was standard.

I think you can gether my needs from my Likes/Dislikes roundup. I'm looking for a small tower, something Antec solo - alike, but since I'm hearing that the solo's outdated and that there are better cases for the money, I'm looking further. I'd like at least three external bay devices (I'd have ordered the Fractal mini by now if it had three), or if it has a built-in cardreader two will do. I won't be gaming (as you can gather from my system components list I guess), but I want the case to be as quiet as possible. Just looking for a case that is the "new solo".
Have you considered the Pentium G840 or G850? They have most (85%) of the single-threaded performance of the i5-2400, but they cost about 1/2 as much ($95 vs $190).

What is your monitor resolution?
1920x1080, It's an Eizo EV2333W. I have looked at the P850, but I think the Turboboost, better graphic capabilities and the four cores of the 2400 warrant the higher price. I'll we using Windows 7, which does a lot to use the different cores, I hear. Also I think a lot of the software suites these days do well with multiple cores. The CPU is something I don't want to be cheap on, as it has to last.

Dr. Jim Pomatter

Post by Dr. Jim Pomatter » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:37 am

The Antec Solo has much thicker walls then the other two. If you keep your case for a long time you will appreciate that the solo does not bend and dent.

Thin steel vibrates and makes noise. You have to add weight to thin walls to deaden the noise. A set of sound dampening mats & blocks will run $25-55, and people think it is a pain to install them.

Most included fans are of low quality.

With your needs, I doubt that you need more then a single 120mm case fan along with the 120mm fan built into the power supply. Just unplug/remove the other fans, and tape over any rear holes so that air flows from the front to the back.

I like my NZXT Whisper, it has massively thick walls and comes with sound dampening foam already installed.

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:01 am

I like the looks of the Define mini, the Define R3 got good reviews here in SPCR, seems its very similar, just smaller case. But since you want
I wanted a DVDRW, fan control and a cardreader: that's three
Just go with the Solo, i personally use an USB SD card adapter, the rest of the memories formats i have no use, but if you do, go with the Solo and have your 3x 5.25 slots.

swaf

Post by swaf » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:07 am

Dr. Jim Pomatter wrote:The Antec Solo has much thicker walls then the other two. If you keep your case for a long time you will appreciate that the solo does not bend and dent. Thin steel vibrates and makes noise. You have to add weight to thin walls to deaden the noise.
As fas as I know, both the Antec Solo and the Fractal R3 are made of 0.8mm steel. I assumed the Fractal Mini was as well, since it's essentially a smaller version of the R3, but I can't find any source on this.

The mini does come with heavy sound dampening bitumen installed however.

Vetotat

Post by Vetotat » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:47 am

swaf wrote:As fas as I know, both the Antec Solo and the Fractal R3 are made of 0.8mm steel.
The Antec Solo uses thicker 1.0 mm steel and it does also have plastic (not bitumen) sheets glued onto the walls for extra noise/vibration killing effect.

It sounds like thick solid oak when I knock at the side walls on my Solo.