Need help with Lian Li PC-A05NB

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Akustyk

Need help with Lian Li PC-A05NB

Post by Akustyk » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:27 am

I need to ask you for help deciding whether to use noise dampening on my new PC-A05NB build. First of all, I really love this case! It's beautiful and surprisingly roomy. The two 120mm stock fans are nice and quiet. I built a Core i7 system with an NVIDIA GTX260 video card and a silent Thermaltake CPU cooler. The build is not for me, so I cannot put any more money into it. I can't, for example, replace the stock cooler on the video card, which is the noisiest part of the system. Overall, the PC is quiet, but not silent. The HDD dampening I installed works nicely, but the VGA fan is a bit too noisy for my taste. Please, help! I am going crazy trying to decide.

Question. I bought the ModRight XXXL noise dampening kit but I haven't installed it yet. Do you think it would help make the build quieter? I would really hate to put the ugly black foam on this beautiful case, unless it would really make a significant difference in noise levels. I have used foam before, but always the much thicker, even uglier kind, and without concern for looks.

Akustyk

Re: Need help with Lian Li PC-A05NB

Post by Akustyk » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:40 am

OK, I stopped agonizing over this :D . I will not install the foam. The case looks nice. The buyer doesn't care. System sold!

vertigo

Post by vertigo » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:28 am

I know it's too late now, but did you use those plastic standoffs to mount the motherboard?

Akustyk

Post by Akustyk » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:04 am

vertigo wrote:I know it's too late now, but did you use those plastic standoffs to mount the motherboard?
No, I used regular metal stand-offs. They came with the case.

vertigo

Post by vertigo » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:40 pm

Akustyk wrote:
vertigo wrote:I know it's too late now, but did you use those plastic standoffs to mount the motherboard?
No, I used regular metal stand-offs. They came with the case.
Okay. I once built a system with an absolutely terrible fan (5000+ rpm) and el-cheapo case and I decided at the time just to use screws and not the plastics. Well yeah, I never tried that again. :)