motherboards and case fit (antec p150)

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

studio32

motherboards and case fit (antec p150)

Post by studio32 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:50 am

Hi,

Newbie here. I want to go the cheap way and buy a 2nd hand computer and also a case, I was thinking about the antec p150 I.
Now I'm wondering whether the hardware of that computer would fit in the case. How do you choose a motherboard for a case, or does all motherboards with the right size fits? How future proof is such a p150 case when it comes to usb ports etc.?

thx

khaakon

Re: motherboards and case fit (antec p150)

Post by khaakon » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:24 am

Hi, and welcome. It is a brilliant idea to buy second hand to save money, as the performance strides in the PC industry hasn't been that great the last 3 years or so. Surely you can get good performing HW for less money than new stuff (save your money for good monitor/mouse/keyboard, one of my personal hangups :wink: ) As long as you don't get burned and end up with stuff that fails and is hard to return, sorry I don't mean to scare you. Maybe you even find used SSD's worth a look.

A PC case wouldn't be in much danger to fail, though - and the P150 can be a good home for a silent computer (think good fans, sound dampening mats like http://www.scan.co.uk/products/acoustip ... terial-kit, and else the right HW for your needs). The Antec P150 will fit most any motherboard (standard ATX and smaller) and PSU, I think it is sold with 430W PSU. http://www.antec.com/specs/P150_spe.html. It does not come with USB3 ports so that you would have to fit yourself.

Good luck :) *edit; be careful if you add sound dampening mats as it will make your temps go up.

khaakon

Post by khaakon » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:37 am

And, yeah - if the computer your want to put in a standard ATX case is a Dell or HP or any of the brand name players, they can have non-standard MB fittings and power connectors, at least they used to so be aware.

For connectivity your motherboard determines most or all of that, if it has USB3 there will be some ports on the back and u have the option of adding a PCI bracket with more ports easily. Just to elaborate.

studio32

Post by studio32 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:54 am

Thanks a lot.

Opting for an mobo / cpu with a Noctua NH-U12P cooler, according to a thread here on the forums, that should fit... But how many fans does it need, 1 or 2?

Regards