What's a quiet computer case for gtx980 and i7 skylake

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

DavetheChamp

What's a quiet computer case for gtx980 and i7 skylake

Post by DavetheChamp » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:05 pm

Give me a couple options I'm willing to spend a lot.

edh

Re: What's a quiet computer case for gtx980 and i7 skylake

Post by edh » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:49 am

Cases themselves are neither quiet or noisy, it's what you put in them that counts. What is your usage scenario? What other components are you using?

DavetheChamp

Post by DavetheChamp » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:36 am

gona use a ninja 4 cpu cooler. I dunno what motherboard. Gonna get a 1tb ssd.

I'm thinkings of getting the fractal r5 case.
evga supernova 850 watt.

Stratohero

Post by Stratohero » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:53 pm

edh wrote:Cases themselves are neither quiet or noisy, it's what you put in them that counts. What is your usage scenario? What other components are you using?
People like you should be banned.

There are hundreds of graphs on various sites showing different cooling/noise results for cases with identical components, and here you are speaking such deceiving nonsense.

Mods, pleas ban this useless guy.

[Mod comment: your opinion is your right, but this poster makes a valid point, and you do not need to insult them. Keep it civil, and read the rules of posting.]

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:22 am

Stratohero wrote:Mods, pleas ban this useless guy.
What about leaving this community? We don't need your gross ignorance and your rudeness.

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:24 am

Stratohero wrote:
edh wrote:Cases themselves are neither quiet or noisy, it's what you put in them that counts. What is your usage scenario? What other components are you using?

There are hundreds of graphs on various sites showing different cooling/noise results for cases with identical components, and here you are speaking such deceiving nonsense.

While edh probably one of the more cynical guys, he's right. The noise-blocking effect of cases is marginal.

You can have a super quiet PC, even with a GTX980 and top-level i7, in a relatively cheap case. As long as the case has decent ventilation and your components aren't -- let's say -- short-tempered.

@DavetheChamp: The Fractal R5 is a great choice. Have a look at the ATX-gamers build guide on the front-page.

Quinnbeast

Post by Quinnbeast » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:17 am

Stratohero wrote:

People like you need to learn how not to overreact to something because you disagree with it. Instead of requesting a ban, feel free to offer an alternative opinion in a constructive manner that is helpful to the OP. Otherwise, all you've done is rant. And, part of what he said is true - cases do not generally make noise, although they do (of course) vary in how they deal with resonance and direct escape paths (i.e. top & side vents) etc to a greater or lesser degree.

For a single GPU setup (even with some overclocking on the CPU/GPU) the Fractal Define range is a natural starting point for many on here. Solidly built, clean aesthetics, easy to work in, pretty flexible for both quiet operation and/or improved cooling... and not extravagantly priced. It's worth seeing if you think they'll fit the bill and going from there.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:34 am

Lets stay on topic, please, and keep it civil.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:16 am

Stratohero wrote: There are hundreds of graphs on various sites showing different cooling/noise results for cases with identical components.....

not one of those sites has a soundproof room with a noise floor as low as ours. -so they can basically stick their "graphs"
up their collective arses.
Last edited by xan_user on Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

DavetheChamp

Post by DavetheChamp » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:16 am

I like the fire. This is the kind of fire I need in my new pc.
Ya I'm gloing with the fractal r5.
Could use a more specific power supply recommendation. Willing to spend more for quiet.