define r5 rattling noise

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

menancewhite

define r5 rattling noise

Post by menancewhite » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:17 pm

I picked a fractal define r5 as case for my next computer. During initial test runs I've noticed something of an slight noise that's somewhere between rattling and fast sparking sound. After some effort I've narrowed it down to that the sound is caused by the case fans. The noise doesn't originate from the fans themselves, but seems to come from the motherboard or chassis caused by the vibrations from the fans as turning off the fans also removes the noise.

Since R5s are popular here I'm wondering if anyone here has run into similar problems and if you guys have found any way to sort it out?

CA_Steve

Re: define r5 rattling noise

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:32 pm

first guess: fan wire is touching the fan blades.

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:34 pm

Try unplugging one fan at the time and see if you still get the noise.

menancewhite

Post by menancewhite » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:40 pm

Already tried those things.

Unplugging one fan at a time:
Noise remains as long as either of the two case fans runs.

Already checked and made sure wires aren't touching.

Tried applying pressure to motherboard and various other parts to make sure it's not some lose part vibrating.

Tried removing fans and running fans by themselves outside of case : no noise.

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:58 am

Might be the leads of the front panel connectors that are set in motion through the fans.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:47 am

After moving my R4 I found the front fan cages could pop out and lean against the HDD, causing noise.

Quinnbeast

Post by Quinnbeast » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:42 am

If the R5 is anything like the R4, part of the front fan housing / dust filter may be making very slight contact with front fans. I ended up cutting away the inner plastic framework of the fan holder, which on the R4 has the same pattern as the filter, but obviously sits a bit too neatly against the fan blades.

http://www.sotechdesign.com.au/wp-conte ... ilters.jpg

menancewhite

Post by menancewhite » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:10 am

Alright, after some more extensive checking after removing most parts from the chassis I've come down to the fact that the clicky noise actually comes from the chassis fans themselves. It's not really audible unless if you keep your ear close to the fan, but I guess the sound travels through the chassis or something which somehow makes it audible. :?

It's unfortunate but since fan installation is easy I'll just bear with it until I can replace the now three of them after I get my pay.

Does anyone have good 140mms to reccommend?

I'm looking at either
Fractal Design Venturi HP-14 PWM 140mm
Antec TrueQuiet 140 140mm

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:59 am

The Venturi HP-14 PWM 140mm might be more to your liking. Fractal Design say that this fan's mounting system means that "...screws only pass through rubber, not through plastic, therefore eliminating the prospect of noise derived from rattling when in use...". Not sure about that but used in PWM mode I suspect that you will not have any clicking or motor noises from these fans.