are dual chamber atx cases better airflow[?]

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Post Reply
dan
Posts: 1243
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:01 am
Contact:

are dual chamber atx cases better airflow[?]

Post by dan » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:50 pm

i've been mulling over my next possible build, and i'm attracted to the idea of a dual chamber atx case on the theory of isolating the powersupply in adjacent chamber is a good idea.

ultimate for an atx full desktop but fanless, using no-fan or something similar cooler, for 100% fanless ssd silent pc build

Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver Edition High Airflow ATX Cube PC Case
Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver Edition High Airflow ATX Cube

is an example of what im talking about.

unforunately the case has a lot of fans i want removed since the goal is fanless silence

the seasonic fanless powersupply requires vents pointing up whereas the case may require it mount sideways

so those are my concerns

quest_for_silence
Posts: 5275
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:12 am
Location: ITALY

Re: are dual chamber atx cases better airflow

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:56 pm

dan wrote:so those are my concerns

I guess the Corsair case is probably too restrictive to run the NoFan without case airflow (check the NoFan/InWin cases for comparison), and you might want to remove the dust filters as well.
The Seasonic PSU can be run in any orientation.

BTW, IMO you've just to try.
Regards,
Luca

Support SPCR, use these links when you buy: NCIX, Amazon and Newegg

dan
Posts: 1243
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:01 am
Contact:

Re: are dual chamber atx cases better airflow

Post by dan » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:24 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:
dan wrote:so those are my concerns

I guess the Corsair case is probably too restrictive to run the NoFan without case airflow (check the NoFan/InWin cases for comparison), and you might want to remove the dust filters as well.
The Seasonic PSU can be run in any orientation.

BTW, IMO you've just to try.
the fanless seasonic can only be run in one orientation, with vents up, problem is it looks like the cosair case requires psu to be sideways

quest_for_silence
Posts: 5275
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:12 am
Location: ITALY

Re: are dual chamber atx cases better airflow

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:37 pm

dan wrote:the fanless seasonic can only be run in one orientation

You likely say so because perhaps you don't own it, I know what they say about but I gave you my actual experience with that PSU.
I never took into consideration that manufacturer advice/sticker, and run three fanless (and those not fanless ones has the same concern, while running passive, so most of the time with most of the rigs, albeit they don't sport any sticker) Seasonics since 6 years in any orientation, and all they are still alive and kicking, including my original X-460 Gold from 2010 mounted upside down (I was forced to) in an original Antec Solo.
Said that, do what you think best, I don't care you follow/trust my advice.
Regards,
Luca

Support SPCR, use these links when you buy: NCIX, Amazon and Newegg

dan
Posts: 1243
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:01 am
Contact:

Re: are dual chamber atx cases better airflow

Post by dan » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:45 pm

yeah i had in mind this

http://www.silentpcreview.com/Seasonic_ ... s_520W_PSU

reviewer says vents must be facing up, not sideways or upside down

the other issue is whether nofan cr95 will fit inside the case

quest_for_silence
Posts: 5275
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:12 am
Location: ITALY

Re: are dual chamber atx cases better airflow

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:38 pm

dan wrote:reviewer says vents must be facing up, not sideways or upside down

Mike Chin (the reviewer) just reported there what Seasonic writes on that sticker (he didn't critically comment it).

dan wrote:the other issue is whether nofan cr95 will fit inside the case

I don't own that case, but at the moment I don't see any potential issue using the CR95C with ATX motherboards: do you?
Regards,
Luca

Support SPCR, use these links when you buy: NCIX, Amazon and Newegg

dan
Posts: 1243
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:01 am
Contact:

Re: are dual chamber atx cases better airflow

Post by dan » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:45 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
dan wrote:reviewer says vents must be facing up, not sideways or upside down

Mike Chin (the reviewer) just reported there what Seasonic writes on that sticker (he didn't critically comment it).

dan wrote:the other issue is whether nofan cr95 will fit inside the case

I don't own that case, but at the moment I don't see any potential issue using the CR95C with ATX motherboards: do you?
i don't but u never know unless it's tested.

remember mac g4 cube? whatever happen to desktop atx cases?

it should be possible to build an atx system that is 100% fanless passive cooled using nofan cr95c, seasonic fanless, and a cpu/gpu combo

i prefer atx bc it seems much higher quality than micro atx or itx

a desktop atx case with no fan and seasonic psu vents poining up

cmthomson
Posts: 1266
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:35 am
Location: Pleasanton, CA

Re: are dual chamber atx cases better airflow[?]

Post by cmthomson » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:03 am

A build with a couple of decent fans running around 300 RPM will give you much more headroom and will be inaudible from more than a foot away. Totally fanless is an interesting goal, but not very practical IMHO.
i7 4790K [email protected] GHz, ASUS Z97-PRO, 16GB G.Skill 2400C10, Intel 335 240GB SSD + WDC EFRX 1TB, Internal i7 graphics, Antec P180 case, Seasonic X-400 fanless PS, Megahalems CPU HS, Nexus 3-pin & AC PWM fans < 600 RPM, AcoustiPack foam, homemade ducts.

Post Reply