aopen H340H, any good?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

mynci
Friend of SPCR

aopen H340H, any good?

Post by mynci » Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:46 pm

anyone have any experience of this?

i have been searching for a prettty, cheap htpc case (that can be cooled/silenced efficiently). it sonly drawback is the low form factor pci slots, but the nebula digital tv card i have my eye on is not much more expensive in the usb flavour so i can plump for that.

any ideas/suggestions at all?

also, whats the coolest running athlon that will easily encode/playback divx/mpeg2 at the same time?

cheers
mynci

mynci
Friend of SPCR

Post by mynci » Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:22 pm

ok perhaps, i need to provide more info on this one.

http://www.aopen.com/products/housing/h340-series.htm

can anyone offer an opinion, or an alternative (perhaps with full size pci slots) for a similar amount of money?

thanks

nucleus

Post by nucleus » Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:16 am

I have the same kind of quest for small & silent HTPC..
Same as you, I'm a bit disapointed by all those slim case with only low-profile PCI slots (I need to fit a Hauppauge DVB-C card) like the AOpen H340..

But there is hope! I've just noticed in this review featuring a AOpen H340, that the completed system has a FULL SIZE PCI card thanks to a PCI riser! :o

silvervarg

Post by silvervarg » Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:40 am

I guess it depends on how hot CPU you will put in there.
As you see in the picture it will be awfully tight between the CPU HSF and the PCI in the PCI raiser slot.
This will probably force you to use a smaller heatsink and either no fan or a small/low fan on the CPU.
Another option is to put the PCI raiser further to the left (loosing a PCI slot) to get more room. This will probably require modding the case somewhat.

wumpus
Patron of SPCR

Post by wumpus » Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:25 am

That looks like an EPIA mini-itx board, too.. I would expect a "real" athlon or p4 socket to be larger.