Yeong Yang dual 120mm case

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

wumpus
Patron of SPCR

Yeong Yang dual 120mm case

Post by wumpus » Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:49 am

Similar to Sonata design, but I think maybe more practical (larger, better front panel port positioning, better front ventilation)

http://www.ginun.com/index.php3?page=Te ... yang01.htm

Very interesting. Can anyone tell where the front fan is mounted? Is it behind the drive bays like the sonata or somehow in front of the drive bays?

lucienrau

Post by lucienrau » Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:10 am

Interesting design... When did case manufacturers forget about simplicity as a design concept. It looks like someone modded window blinds onto the case.

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Tue Oct 07, 2003 1:10 pm

looks very good

No beam across the case!!!! Makes removal of a PSU when you have a Zalamn 7000alcu installed much easier!

Seems like it has everything the Sonata has, but better in design IMO :)

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Oct 07, 2003 1:11 pm

Oh yeah, that's the one with the louvres that open up as needed to cool the case. No really, they do!

Of course we've done this one before. :)

Ya gotta wake up pretty early to put one over on the hard-core investigative journalists here at SPCR! :D

modman
Location: A land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas.

Post by modman » Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:36 pm

Babel Fish english translation

"...a garlic conduit actually connects directly this one to your ventilator of the processor for an optimal cooling."

Hmm. This is the first case with a breath saver. :D

Kostik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Kostik » Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:21 pm

There's a typo, he wrote "ail" instead of "air", and "ail" actually means garlic.

There's a hole in the left side pannel, with an airduct pointing to the CPU. Interesting feature, at least for overclockers.

NeilBlanchard

good review via Google

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:31 am

Hello:

Here's a good review that has plenty of good pictures:

http://www.modthebox.com/review228_1.shtml

wumpus
Patron of SPCR

Post by wumpus » Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:26 am

Man, if i hadn't already purchased the Sonata, I would be all over this case.

That review indicates that the front 120mm fan is mounted directly behind the louvers, as part of the front bezel assembly-- not behind the drives as in Sonata design.

Plus the airflow design isn't stupidly restricted like the Sonata. I never understood the "lower noise by blocking all air from entering the case" design. Yeah. Because blocking airflow doesn't.. increase case temps.. which forces you to run faster fans.. and increase noise.. or anything.. yeah.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:27 am

I think i read somewhere that those blind things vibrate alot though

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Wed Oct 08, 2003 2:03 pm

Plus the 5 1/4 inch drive bay rails are not plastic!!

wumpus
Patron of SPCR

Post by wumpus » Fri Oct 31, 2003 5:57 pm

Another review from Dark Tweaker:

http://www.dark-tweaker.com/YY-Cetus-5601.htm

I really like this case.. it even has the side CPU duct that we were recently discussing..

modman

Post by modman » Fri Oct 31, 2003 7:35 pm

I like the YY-5602. Its the same case with a face plate that looks like the Dell Precision Workstation. I plan to get this one or the Antec P-160.

Here is the link to the Online Catalog PDF.

oldabelincoln

Post by oldabelincoln » Sat Nov 01, 2003 12:40 am

Is anyone actually selling the 5602 (which looks more interesting)?

modman

Post by modman » Sat Nov 01, 2003 12:18 pm

oldabelincoln wrote:Is anyone actually selling the 5602 (which looks more interesting)?
I tried to ask contact the company but their contact form is also a PDF and it gave me an error. Maybe someone else could try.

Likif
Friend of SPCR

Post by Likif » Sat Nov 01, 2003 8:19 pm

my god it's ugly. But good airflow, prolly.

wumpus
Patron of SPCR

Post by wumpus » Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:55 pm

Directron has this case in stock

http://store.yahoo.com/directron/yy5601.html

I think I will use it for my next system build. It retains a lot of things I like about the Sonata (dual 120mm, sideways HDD mounts), with the inclusion of side CPU duct, adjustable front ventilation, and top mounted ports.

Really a logical set of features IMO.. aesthetically it's OK, but the features are what I am looking for.

mwalt2

Post by mwalt2 » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:02 pm

The case from directron does not come with the CPU duct on the side panel. I ordered this case from them, and just got a regular side panel. I think it's an option, but you may have to call directron to get it. The rear 120mm fan is really easy to mount with the rubber stick fan isolators that directron sells. The front fan is a different story. The HDD cage is in the way and two of the regular mounting holes are too large to use the isolators (even if you had small enough fingers to somehow fit them behind the drive cage). I ended up buying a roll of rubber tape at home depot (about 1/8" thick made of pretty soft rubber and sticky on 1 side). I cut strips and placed them around the four sides of the fan to make it thicker. I put enough of the tape so that I was able to push the fan into the front slot and have it held in by the friction of the rubber tape. This way I was able to decouple the fan pretty well. The case comes with 2 purple fan clips which I didn't want to use (plus they were too small for the evercool aluminum fans I bought). You will definately want to cut out the front fan grill (I cut out both for good measure). I like the fact that both side panels are removable. It made it easy to hide extra power supply wires. The HDD and optical drives all mount easy using the included rails. There are some small rubber grommets on the pins that hold them in, but it is not decoupled (there is still metal-metal contact). You have to have the connector side of HDD's facing out (I originally thought you would be able to mount either way like antec's cases). The fan filter is not easily removed like in antec cases. You have to take the side off and both parts of the front bezel to clean it. I did have some trouble getting the floppy drive to work with the eject button on the case (had to remount several times) and had to remove part of the cd-rw door so it can come out the stealthed slot in the door. Overall, the case has been good. I really like the front ports and cooling ability of this case. It's also a pretty quiet case. The loudest things are my HDD's, which I have yet to work on quieting.

edcrane

Post by edcrane » Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:04 am

lucienrau wrote:Interesting design... When did case manufacturers forget about simplicity as a design concept. It looks like someone modded window blinds onto the case.
agreed. there's a plethora of really ugly/deformed cases out there, but only a handfull of tastefull/minimalist designs. <sigh>

wumpus
Patron of SPCR

Post by wumpus » Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:40 am

thanks for the hands on review mwalt2!