GMC Neo Classic questions

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Lilla

GMC Neo Classic questions

Post by Lilla » Sun Oct 19, 2003 7:20 pm

I'm interested in using this case to build my first computer, but I was disappointed when I read in one of the reviews that is has NO power LED, and no hard drive LED, it has no LEDs at all. I think I would miss them, yet I've not seen anyone address this in the group and I know that a couple of people have used the case.

I've never seen a case that didn't have a power LED and a hard drive LED.

Sometimes it's nice to be able to look at the little light and see yellow if it is in standby, or green otherwise.

And sometimes it's nice to be able to glance at the case to see if the hard drive light is active. Software LEDs are OK for 2nd drives, but for the main drive it really seems like there should be a LED on the case.

Can someone tell me why it is they left the LEDs off of this otherwise nice case?

Cams, DImblum, and others that are using this case or other cases that have no LEDs, do you miss not having LEDs on the case?

Also, to Cams, and DImblum, and anyone else that is using this case or has knowledge about the case. Does the cutout in the bottom of the case provide sufficient air intake, even when the accessory panel at lower front (USB, sound, ISA port) is closed?

At this link, Cams has posted a picture of the air flow vent in the bottom on the case. He comments that the passage remains unobstructed when the accessory panel is open? Which leaves me to wonder if sufficient air intake is available when the accessory panel is closed (or does closing it obstruct)?

Thanks, Lilla

sys64738

Post by sys64738 » Mon Oct 20, 2003 4:41 am

I've just got one of these cases (Jeantech "Timeless" branded in the UK). It does appear to have HDD and power LEDs - inside the reset and power buttons... I'm not 100% sure, as I haven't had a chance to transfer my PC across to it yet.

Airflow looks tricky, but of course I won't know until I try it for real. When the front port is closed, there's a crack probably about 2 or 3 mm deep (by the width of the case) for air to get through at the front. I'm thinking of ducting one of the spare upper bays direct to the PSU (as per MikeC), and ducting the 3.5" bay past the hard disk then out with one case fan at the back.

I'm a bit picky about how it will look though - I bought the Neo Classic mainly because of its simple, clean styling. So the problem with using spare drive bays for air inlets, is how to finish them off neatly. I'm thinking of copying the bass ports on the PMC FB1 speakers http://www.audiotechnique.com.hk/248/content/20_b.jpg and neatly blanking off the bays with black open-cell foam on the inside. I've no idea where to get it though.

I'll post more info on the Neo Classic when I find time to set it up - in the next week or two.

Lilla

Post by Lilla » Mon Oct 20, 2003 9:07 am

Here's excerpts from two reviews that lead me to think that the GMC Neo Classic has no LEDs, I hope it's not true.

first one

Excerpt:

What we have here — absolutely white case with big chromed buttons and ribbed stripe at the bottom. ... I couldn't find any LEDs here, either Power or HDD. And in spite of it's simplicity i can not imagine how to mod this case;). But it is still an interesting example of case design.

2nd one

Excerpt from Page 1, along with a close up of the power on & reset buttons (shown below).

These switches are very cool, they are silver colored and have a mirror-like finish, the match the case real well. Who needs a bulging switch when you can have one of these? Just dremel a bit of the sides away on the underside and add a blue LED, it will look better than anything!

Excerpt from page 2:

... You can strip this case down in only a matter of minutes. When we take off the front we can remove the front multi panel, change out the switches (why on earth would you want to do that is over me), add some LEDs, and finally remove the front 80mm fans.

Now, perhaps these two cases are early models, and the final models will have LEDs, but I on the manufacturers site I see no mention of LEDs, and none are evident in the pictures.

Lilla

sys64738

Post by sys64738 » Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:00 pm

I'm fairly sure that there are leads for LEDs going to the power and reset switches... I'll dig out the box (I've just moved house) and check!

Lilla

Post by Lilla » Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:25 pm

sys64738, that would be great. If the LED wires are there, then hopefully the LEDs are there too.

For those that didn't see Ralf's post, the silenced version of this case, as shown in the reviews, is now available in the US from buy.com $104 and compusa.com $129. Thanks to Ralf Hutter for posting. The non-silenced version, is available from Egghead $69.

I would like opinions on this idea, to be used if there is a need to provide increased air intake. Some posts seem to indicate that there might not be adequate air intake as the case comes, especially when the accessory panel is closed.

On the picture below (copied from Cams post in another thread), how about cutting away on the back side of the existing air intake hole so that more air could flow into the case even when the accessory panel is closed. Would this solve the problem? If not, I think I'll forget this case as I don't think I can adjust to the idea of turning the drive bays into air intake ducts.

Lilla

sys64738

Post by sys64738 » Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:05 pm

Just checked. There is indeed a lead marked "HDD LED" going to one of the switches. There is also a pass-through (i.e. male one end, female the other end) molex lead going through the switches - perhaps this is used for the power LED.

I don't suppose that this would change between versions of the case, so my guess is that the reviewers you quote weren't too thorough! Did they even build a PC with it?

Looking at the air intake gap again, I'm cautiously optimistic (naive perhaps?) that I won't need to use a drive bay or two for air intake... but seeing as it's only a Celeron 1200, GF2MX, one CD drive, and one HDD, it won't be generating a lot of heat compared to the latest ninja systems. It is a fine looking case!

Lilla

Post by Lilla » Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:23 pm

thanks for the feedback, I'll watch for your posts regarding your building of this system. Indeed it looks like a beautiful case. In one of Cams posts he reports that he was monitoring the temps inside the case, and there was no mention of problems, so hopefully air flow will be OK.

Curious, did you get the accoustic version (with pre-applied accoustic materials, and fans), or the do-it-yourself version (no accoustic material, or fans)?

Lilla

sys64738

Post by sys64738 » Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:39 pm

I got no fans or accoustic dampening material, but I did get the clamshell with fan and PSU mounting pads, screws, cabling, etc.

John

Calv

Post by Calv » Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:08 pm

To Lilla. I do believe that John is right and that there are LEDs in the front. I've been doing alot of reasearch into this case as i intend to buy on, (the silent built one), January next year (when they become available to Australia through pccasegear.com).

Here are the reviews so far that i've found for this case

http://www.modlabs.net/index.php?locati ... rl=engneoc

http://www.rbmods.com/Articles/Cases/Neoclassic/1.php

I really like this case, although, i wish the design had a more "style". However, what really baffles me is the air intake. Yes i see that little gap under the PC but what about running a high performance P4 system? I want it both quiet and cool but am not sure this case will be able to perform the cool.

Anyway hope these reviews help

Lilla

Post by Lilla » Tue Oct 21, 2003 3:32 pm

Thanks Calv, that first article was what I needed, it clearly shows that this case does have LEDs. I share your concerns about the air flow, I would like more information on this from those that have the case.

That first review shows the power on and Hard drive lights (shown below), and has these words (translated to English) to say about them:

As aesthetic effect, to relate that the button of power contains a blue Led and of Reset it contains a green Led that is at the same time led of functioning of the hard disk.

Lilla

DImblum

Neo Classic performance / LED's

Post by DImblum » Tue Oct 21, 2003 4:49 pm

Lilla,

The picture in the most recent post shows the LED's in action. To confirm, the reset button LED does double as the Hard Drive light. They are not only fully functional, they look great to boot.

It is true that the air intake comes from the bottom of the case via the slot pictured in your follow up post. I can confirm that the air flow is 'not' blocked when the accessory panel is closed or open. They designed the case carefully so airflow can always pass.

The only concern for airflow is if you plan to have the case sitting on a plush carpet floor or something similar that would block the air passage. The case does include rubber feet, although they were designed for a low profile. I ultimately decided to keep my case on my carpeted floor and elevated it with a narrow 1" thick book under the center. The book cannot be seen and it adds enough distance for full airflow.

I am thoroughly pleased with the case as it's design quality is the best I have ever seen. The pearl white also looks excellent.

Mine did not include the sound dampening materials as I bought mine from NewEgg. I wish I would have known about BUY.COM and COMPUSA.COM stocking silenced versions.

I decided to barter a deal with GMC in Korea to ship me the missing parts (sound dampening foam, clamshell, 15db AddA case fans, etc). It cost a pretty penny to wire the money, although it would have probably cost more to buy similar parts of the same calibur in the US.

I would highly recommend paying the money for the full version of the case with the sound dampening material / parts included. I hope mine arrive soon.

Let me know if you have any more questions about the Neo Classic case.

Lilla

Post by Lilla » Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:26 pm

[I posted a reply earlier but it is not showing up so I decided to repost. If the other post shows up later, I apologize in advance for duplicating.]

Calv, thanks for the information.
Mine did not include the sound dampening materials as I bought mine from NewEgg. I wish I would have known about BUY.COM and COMPUSA.COM stocking silenced versions.
They only recently became available, so probably this was not an option at the time you were making your decision. Hope this is some comfort.
I am thoroughly pleased with the case as it's design quality is the best I have ever seen. The pearl white also looks excellent.

Oh good, but what about matching the drive fronts with the pearl white? Did you use beige devices? And if so, how does that look? Any chance you could you post a picture? My first choice would be a beige case with beige devices, but they don't offer such. I wonder if the gold champagn color would match the beige device fronts better? I have no idea what color gold champagn is, I don't recall seeing it shown on mfgr site or in any reviews.

Thanks, Lilla

Calv

Post by Calv » Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:12 am

To Lilla,
through a bit of mispelling ("on" instead of "one") i can see how my words above could have sounded like i already own a case. No unfortuately they do not have them in Australia (yet) and i will have to wait until January before buying one. But it will be an insulated one! To answer your colour matching problem. I'm basically going to buy the case first, the pop of on of the driver bay covers and take it down with me to colour match with my CD-ROMS and disk drives. People down here don't mind if i do that.
Anyway let me know how yours is going? Still don't know about these heat issues though (esp since we don't have Seasonic Supersilencers available), so cooling it down quietly will be a nightmare.
have a good day

Calv

Lilla

Post by Lilla » Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:22 am

I'm confused? I received an e-mail notice that DImblum had responded to my post. I replied, and then he replied. Those two or three posts do not appear in this thread on my system. DImblum posted a picture of his system, to show me how his beige/white drives look in his white pearl GMC Neo Classic case. Thanks DImblum, your case with drives look really nice!

Do others see the post from DImblum where he posted his picture, because it does not show up as part of this thread on my system.

If others also don't see it, then I'll see if I can't do some cut/paste, and bring that information back into the thread. If others do see it, then why don't I see it. I clear my IE cache each time I close the program so it can't be a cache problem. I don't see any new threads that this information might have created. It's a mystery to me.

Please advise.

Lilla

DImblum

Missing messages

Post by DImblum » Wed Oct 22, 2003 2:46 pm

Lilla,

Sorry for the confusion. I sent both a general forum post and a personal message to you as well. I wanted to send the personal message to make sure you were notified.

For everyone interested - Here is a picture of two CD drives installed in my Pearl White Neo Classic case. The drives match the case color very well.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/vie ... &members=1

Lilla

Post by Lilla » Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:37 pm

DImblum, ah, that's better. I just knew that others would want to see the picture of your case too, it is a beauty. Oh, now, I have another question for you. It's so nice to have someone in the thread that has experience with the case.

While the fans supplied are very low noise themselves, there are four of them, and I've read that the turbulance of air moving is another noise factor.

A few questions about the supplied fans:
- Did you connect up all four fans (80mm ADDA)
- Do the fans run full out all the time, or do they adjust themselves based upon the temps in the case?
- Do you run your fans at the stock 12V, or did you mod them to run at 7V or 5V?
- Are you using a fan controller?
- What power supply did you install?

As a newbie, I'm amazed at the amount of things that must be thought out.

Thanks,
Lilla

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aphonos » Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:53 pm

Calv wrote:To Lilla. I do believe that John is right and that there are LEDs in the front. I've been doing alot of reasearch into this case as i intend to buy on, (the silent built one), January next year (when they become available to Australia through pccasegear.com).

Here are the reviews so far that i've found for this case (the first one shows the LEDS):

<super-duper-long url's deleted.

I really like this case, although, i wish the design had a more "style". However, what really baffles me is the air intake. Yes i see that little gap under the PC but what about running a high performance P4 system? I want it both quiet and cool but am not sure this case will be able to perform the cool.

Anyway hope these reviews help
FWIW, the use of the bbcode posting conventions to create shorter links will help prevent the thread from becoming extra wide.

DImblum

Lilla's questions

Post by DImblum » Sat Oct 25, 2003 7:28 am

Lilla,

I will have the answer to your questions soon. I got confirmation that the sound dampening foam, ADDA case fans and the Clamshell are on their way.

I plan to connect all four ADDA fans when they arrive without a fan controller. I checked into the fans via other Neo Classic reviews and found them to be model: AD0812DS-A70GL. Here is a link to ADDA's website (kinda hard to find information) http://www.adda.com.tw/products/index.htm

They appear to run constantly at 15db and do not use a temperature sensor (I'll verify this when they are installed).

For my power supply choice: I made a final decision to buy and install a PC Power and Cooling Silencer 400 ATX. Here is a link to the stats

It's not the quietest when compared to a Silenx power supply, but I was sold when I discovered several reviews in which people reported performance / reliability problems with the Silenx supply (one person said they had to replace theirs three times!). The Silencer 400 ATX on the other hand is rock solid and PC Power and Cooling has an exteremely high reputation for quality. I have been pleased with it's low noise performance.

As a bonus I have already installed a Zalman CNPS7000-Cu as the CPU cooler / silencer, a Zalman ZM80A-HP as my Video Card cooler / silencer (the ZM80C-HP was not available at the time), and a Zalman ZM-2HC1 as the hard drive cooler / silencer.

I highly recommend all of these Zalman products. They have made a significant difference in noise, vibration and cooling performance. I am already able to run my system in the Neo Classic case with one silent case fan (until the ADDA's come) and my components have stayed plenty cool even under 100% CPU load (note: I do not Overclock). I'm looking forward to adding the four additional fans for extra cooling.

Let me know if you have any other questions about the Neo Classic case or components.

Cams
Friend of SPCR

Post by Cams » Wed Oct 29, 2003 12:57 pm

Sorry I'm late to the thread, but better late than never!

To allay your fears about the LED on the power switch and reset button, I quickly took this picture in bad light:

And HOW bright are the LEDs on my Sunbeam Rheostat?? I quite like it though, and the blue matches the blue on the power switch very nicely thank you very much!

I took pictures as I was modding the case, fitting the fans with isolators and the completed case with two optical drives and Sunbeam thingy so I'll try and get those on a web page for you all soon, prolly tomorrow.

I'm really pleased with the case so far. I tend to keep the front panel open if I need air flow and it definitely proved its salt tonight. I was running my synchronise prog to backup to an HD fitted via the front panel's IDE slot and the CPU reached 60ºC working at over 90% (this is a P4 2.0 Ghz with Zalman flower and Papst NGL 8412 blowing on it at full volts). I had the two M1As on the front at 12v and the L1As at the back at 7v (blue LEDs on fan controller for 12 and red marking the 7v border). I turned the L1As up to 12v and the CPU temp went down to 50ºC.

Oh yeah, I modded the inside of the case with MagicFleece. I've now got an ALMOST silent system - just need to suspend the HD (Maxtor Diamond something or other (6Y120LO).

Watch out for more pictures tomorrow. And any Qs, just ask.

Cams

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Oct 29, 2003 1:46 pm

OK, new members, here's the heavy admin hand:

Long URLs that are posted without using bbcode posting conventions kindly pointed out by Aphonos above will simply be deleted.

Some of you will see this was already done in this thread on several posts. It's a common courtesy to others in order to avoid side-to-side scrolling.

This is your only warning.
Last edited by MikeC on Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cams
Friend of SPCR

Post by Cams » Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:00 pm

Pictures are on the web! I had a bit of time on my hands and my fingers were sore from playing guitar so what better way to relax than put together some pics for y'all with some good tunes on in the background!

Neo Classic Modding and Component Installation

Night all,
Cams
Last edited by Cams on Sun Nov 16, 2003 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DImblum

Neo Classic Cooling

Post by DImblum » Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:13 pm

Cams,

I was able to achieve temperatures of 34 degrees Celcius while idle and 45 degrees Celcius under load - Front panel closed.

I received the missing silencing parts from GMC in Korea - Sound dampening foam, 4x ADDA case fans 15db, and the Clamshell package. Installation went well.

I'm running all four fans at their default 12V - no fan controller.

Total system parts include:

Intel P4 2.4ghz CPU - No overclocking
Zalman CNPS7000-Cu CPU cooler (1300 rpm)

ASUS P4T533-C MB, mounted on silicone washers

ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
Zalman ZM80A-HP Video Card cooler / silencer

Western Digital 120GB 8MB Cache, 7400RPM
Zalman ZM-2HC1 hard drive cooler / silencer

PC Power and Cooling Silencer 400ATX PSU, mounted with Vantec PSU vibration dampener

4X ADDA case fans - 1665 RPM, 20.5 CFM, 15db, mounted with 4 Vantec fan vibration dampeners

GMC Neo Classic sound dampening foam

System is extremeley silent

I think I got lucky with the temperature levels. The hard drive cage is removed for greater airflow. The Zalman ZM-2HC1 hard drive cooler allows the hard drive to be mounted in a 5 1/4 bay. Im using standard ribbon cables folded flat along the panels of the case. Remaining wires are organized with wire ties.

I can send additional pictures if you like. Let me know.

Cams
Friend of SPCR

Post by Cams » Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:39 am

So what's the sound damping material supplied in the modded cases like? I presume that that is part of the reason you get such low temps - the MagicFleece is quite thick (and comfortable looking too!) so it probably raises temps by a few degrees.

I'll need to check out one of these Hard Drive enclosures you mention DImblum. That's the only thing still audible in my rig.

Calv

Post by Calv » Thu Oct 30, 2003 1:13 am

Sorry Mike C :oops: My mistake. Won't happen again!

Message for Cams: what's the air intake like with the bottom USB port closed?

DImblum

Neo Classic update

Post by DImblum » Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:49 pm

Cams,

The sound dampening material appears to be GMC's own brand. It's relatively thin and has two seperate layers. The outermost layer feels like a stiff/spongy fabric foam. Everything came in it's own seperate GMC labeled package.

You might be right about the magic fleece. It definately looks more plush (like carpet). The magic fleece may do a better job of absorbing sound than the GMC material.

The Zalman ZM-2HC1 hard drive cooler / silencer is pretty nice. It's a heatpipe cooler that is suspended with four rubber grommets to absorb vibration and lower noise. Here is a link: Zalman ZM-2HC1

Calv

Post by Calv » Thu Oct 30, 2003 7:01 pm

DImblum,

how silent are the fans supplied by GMC? are they 15db? or is it worth replacing them with undervolted panaflos?

btw. Nice setup you go there

DImblum

ADDA Case Fans

Post by DImblum » Sat Nov 01, 2003 9:20 am

Cams,

To my knowledge the 15db claims are true. The 20db fan on the Zalman CNPS7000-Cu CPU cooler makes a slightly more noticeable air tubulence noise than the ADDA fans do. I was surprised that all four can run at the same time with no dicernable difference in case noise.

My guess is that undervolted PanaFlos might not be that far off once they hit a 15bd rate. The Panaflo FBA08A12L runs at 1900rpm, 21db, 24CFM. The ADDA fan runs at 1665rpm, 15db, 20.5CFM. - The Panaflo would fall below 20.5CFM by the time it hit 15db, but not by much. I did some math which could break down that the Panaflo in theory is creating 1db of noise for every 90.4rpm and the ADDA fan is creating 1db for every 81.2. This would make the Panaflo sound better, however that would mean that the Panaflo would probably have to spin at 1356rpm to be at 15db which would drop the CFM to 17.14. I'm not sure how much impact that would have on case temps? Maybe none. You would only loose 3.4CFM. That is of course if my calculations are anywhere near accurate (math has never been my forte').

Thanks for the complement on my rig. I'm a big time game buff and got tired one day because my case noise was always whirring along in the backround. It kept breaking the mood of whatever game I was playing. Now I can play games in peace.

Lilla

Post by Lilla » Mon Nov 03, 2003 1:44 pm

An update... since I started this thread I thought it would be nice to let people know that I'm still here, and that at this point it looks like I will go with the Ever Case ECE4252-PCT instead of the Neo Classic.

Reasons for changing:
- Comfort factor. Is on Intel's list of approved cases for the new P4 motherboards.
- Comforat factor. Is at the top of SPCR's list of recommended cases for good airflow.
- Price and availability, $39 + $15 shipping from newegg.com

Thanks to all who responded. I've enjoyed this thread, and have learned a lot from the posts here.

Cams, I really enjoyed the pictures of your system build. Since this will be my first build, it helped me a lot to see your step-by-step pictures. I have bookmarked it for future reference.

Lilla

DImblum

Case chosen

Post by DImblum » Mon Nov 03, 2003 5:10 pm

Lilla,

Nice to see you back on the thread.

I wish you great luck with your first build. I'd be happy to offer help with any questions you have on PC construction.

Have fun..

Lilla

Post by Lilla » Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:00 am

DImblum, great, I really appreciate that offer of help.

I'm trying to finalize my plan now, I posted it here

You will notice that I will be using the Vantec Vibration Dampening on PSU and fans too. I found them at SVC.com for a better price than from Newegg. I mention this in case it might help someone else.

Does the sound dampening material go behind the motherboard too, or not?

DImblum, you offered to post detailed pictures. I would love to see them.

Lilla