Front fan grille mystery

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Sooty

Front fan grille mystery

Post by Sooty » Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:45 pm

As a newbie, I’m failing to understand what purpose is served by having fan grilles located between the front fan and the outside casing. What are they guarding against? Surely they are a restriction to air-flow – also a restriction to noise escaping, which may be why Ralph decided to leave his in place (Ralph’s 3700 in photo). Please solve this mystery for me!

Riffer

Post by Riffer » Fri Oct 31, 2003 3:50 pm

Easier to fabricate?

Concerns about structural integrity?

Beats me.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:17 pm

im pretty sure he just didnt see the need, and probably didnt feel like it.

Sooty

Post by Sooty » Fri Oct 31, 2003 5:14 pm

GamingGod wrote:im pretty sure he just didnt see the need, and probably didnt feel like it.
Mine is a general query regarding most computers I’ve seen – I’m not so much questioning what Ralph has or hasn’t done to this example. Although, having looked at that photo again, I’m wondering if Ralph hasn’t removed the centre section of grille, directly in front of the fan, and left the rest to cover in the gaps between fan and casing. Anyway, I’m asking why, generally speaking, why most computers have this grille in the first place.

Sooty

Post by Sooty » Fri Oct 31, 2003 5:17 pm

GamingGod wrote:im pretty sure he just didnt see the need, and probably didnt feel like it.
Mine is a general query regarding most computers I’ve seen – I’m not so much questioning what Ralph has or hasn’t done to this example. Although, having looked at that photo again, I’m wondering if Ralph hasn’t removed the centre section of grille, directly in front of the fan, and left the rest to cover in the gaps between fan and casing. Anyway, I’m asking why, generally speaking, why most computers have this grille in the first place.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Oct 31, 2003 5:22 pm

EMI shielding is the main reason for fan grills. To stop Radio Frequency electromagnetic energy from escaping the case and rasing havoc with your... cell phone, cordless phone, radio reception... whatever. I have had only ONE experience of EMI intereference in a PC -- my sis was on the phone to me on a cordless phone, sat down at her computer & immediately, the connection became garbled. She moved a few feet away from her computer... clear again. It was a Mac -- ha!

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Re: Front fan grille mystery

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Nov 01, 2003 6:22 am

Sooty wrote: which may be why Ralph decided to leave his in place (Ralph’s 3700 in photo). Please solve this mystery for me!
As far as my case goes, when I initially built that system I cut out the back grill knowing that I would need an exhaust fan there. I left the front grill intact hoping that I wouldn't need a fan there and wanting to save the time that it takes to cut out the grill by hand.

After I got the system running I found that I didn't need the front fan for cooling the case but that I did need a tiny bit of aircooling over the HDD. I left the grill in place so I could mount whatever size fan I wanted (80mm, 92mm or 120mm). The fan that's there is a 92mm L1A running at 5 volts. I can't hear any turbulence that's being caused by the grill so I just left it in place. At some point in the future I may rip apart that system and cut a 92mm hole in the grill.

Dingus

Post by Dingus » Thu Nov 06, 2003 6:05 am

my theory is that the guys who make the 'chassis' of the case and the art guys who make the 'body' don't really get together on the project, but rather work to a list of specifications... ie, it has to have some air intake at the front, be strong / lite, look nice, etc.

just a theory i'm chucking up cos my other theories have been said.

fractal

Post by fractal » Mon Nov 17, 2003 3:09 pm

MikeC wrote:EMI shielding is the main reason for fan grills. To stop Radio Frequency electromagnetic energy from escaping the case and rasing havoc with your... cell phone, cordless phone, radio reception... whatever.
Correct. You won't pass FCC testing without the grates, or any other countries emissions testing.