Now THAT is a quiet case

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

the_bfg

Now THAT is a quiet case

Post by the_bfg » Tue Nov 25, 2003 6:28 am

Don't know if most of you have seen this but it impressed me no end. The sound measurements seem very good (apparently done in a dolby lab studio, 5dBA ambient) and 14dBA is just astounding!

Bit thin on the specs, but based on the pictures its a high end P4, Seagate Barracuda V drive, high-end gfx card and a Lian Li Pc 6070 case.

And for those of you who dont like Paxmate or Dynamat, this case is stuffed to the gills with it...

Some great ideas in there - shame the performance/temp data isn't there to put the low low noise into perspective...

TechTV's Yoshi and his YS-2 Project

Don't miss the video clip on the first page!

/bfg

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Nov 25, 2003 6:44 am

the_bfg - WELCOME TO SPCR!!!

It's old news though. :(

A mediocre project at best.

the_bfg

Post by the_bfg » Tue Nov 25, 2003 7:01 am

thanks for the welcome - long time listener first time caller as they say... ;-)

I stand corrected - thought I'd done a forum search first, but obviously not well enough...

Was a bit sceptical for the same reasons (-30dB sound meter??, no specs, no temps etc) but still liked the idea. Yoshi seems very design focused, and his laser etched case stands out nicely... Probably better than the silencing aspect.

Guess I was also partly happy to see a PC-6070 project as Im set on getting one but not quite sure its worth the $$$...

/bfg

canthearyou

Post by canthearyou » Tue Nov 25, 2003 7:58 am

I agree, that it might not be worth the $.

The PC-6070 is an attractive case, alu and quiet is what I am looking for. It does look a little like a refrigerator. The quieting features seem to be the least effective ones for the highest price. Sealing the case and dampening are less important than quiet components from what I read here. The trend is towards 120mm fans, although I have considered putting a 120mm PSU and a 80mm for outflow and two 80mm in the front on a Lian Li for equal flow. That might be too loud. I am leaning to 120mm PSU and 120mm undervolted outflow and 120mm very slow inflow for cooling HD's in a case that has dual 120mm fans.

Seal

Post by Seal » Tue Nov 25, 2003 8:07 am

lol the amount of money he must have spent on all that dynamat etc... he could have easily bought watercooling... now that officially is quiet :) (speaking for experience ;))

JEN

Post by JEN » Tue Nov 25, 2003 8:10 am

I really like that muffler on that TechTV case. Anyone know where to get it from, or how to make it?

Preferably with 3 80mm fan holes instead of 2.