Will a CNPS7000A fit in an Evercase 4252?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

helzerr

Will a CNPS7000A fit in an Evercase 4252?

Post by helzerr » Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:25 pm

On an Asus A7N8X motherboard? If not, is there any other quiet case less than 430mm high that will fit? I am trying to squeeze this into my desk.

helzerr

Bueller... Bueller...

Post by helzerr » Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:20 pm

Anyone? :P

I guess I may have to be the guinea pig that finds out.

Secondary question: Where can I buy the 4252 accessories Evercase makes (like HDD gromets, E4252-03)? I really like the 4252B, but Newegg only sells it with a powersupply, the side fan (I'd rather have the duct), and no gromets. Maybe another distributor offers the 4252B closer to my desired specs?

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:40 pm

The grommets you can get at your local hardware store. Just take the hard drive cage down with you to test fit them.

Taking a peek at Newegg, I'm figgerin the 4252B is the black case? Maybe things come and go, but I remember them having the black case listed multiple times before. It might be worth looking around for other vendors who carry Evercase.

On a sidenote, noticed that Newegg just changed the layout of their pages slightly. I don't like change. Hrrmph.

Especially ones not fully tested. Ya get to the images page now, and its in the same window. Close that window and you've closed Newegg. Double hrrmph.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:43 pm

I agree, I noticed that newegg changed the layout the other day also. And I really dont like the change. I visit newegg on a daily basis to look for specials and new products and the new layout was a completely pointless change.

cmcquistion

Post by cmcquistion » Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:47 pm

I don't think that will fit.

The A7N8X socket is right next to the top of the board. That cooler will go at least 3/4" over the top edge of the board.

The top of the board is only 1/4" from the bottom of the PSU in that case.

I ran into similar problems, recently. I bought 3 A7N8X Deluxe boards and 3 Evercase 4252's.

helzerr

Post by helzerr » Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:18 pm

No one knows for certain if this will fit or not? If not, what is the best substitute for the 7000A that will fit?

If I were to decide to upgrade to a Sonata instead, are its internal dimensions as restrictive (I would imagine they are since they're both ~430mm high cases).

Lilla

Post by Lilla » Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:59 pm

Startech.com sells the rubber grommets for Evercase E4252 hard disk drive mounting. They sell it as:

HDD Shock Absorber Kit for ATX8300PRO
StarTech ID: 8300SHOCKKIT
$13

I am building in the E4252-AB from NewEgg.com
I bought black rubber grommets from local hardware store, 25 cents each. And made my own shoulder bolts using instruction provided by Chris McQuistion here. Chris tells and shows a picture of the grommets you want to buy.

Good luck,
Lilla

helzerr

Post by helzerr » Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:42 pm

Thanks for the great link, Lilla! On page 8 of Chris's article, by the looks of that 80mm fan rotated 45 degrees and mounted on an SK-6+, there may be enough room for a 7000A in there after all... Corner to corner, an 80mm fan should be ~113mm across, the Zalman is only 109mm in diameter.

Lilla

Post by Lilla » Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:11 pm

Edited *Sorry, I just read more carefully Chris McQuistion's post saying you would need another 3/4", this is probably too much to bend. *

I am using
Evercase E4252-AB
Intel D875PBZLK motherboard retail
Intel P4 2.6GHZ 800 FSB HT retail
Zalman CNPS7000-AlCu CPU Cooler

For a time I thought the 7000 was not going to fit, so I was contemplating ways to force a fit, MikeC offered this advise to me in this thread on page 2, scroll down to this post by MikeC.
MikeC wrote:Depending on how much room you need, you could just try bending the edges of the HS fins back just a bit. I've done this with other Zalman HS in tight spots. Easy to do with needle tip pliers. It's less work & less mess than filing. Also even less permanent -- you can bend them back one day if necessary. No effect on cooling I could detect.
As it turns out, I now think the 7000 is going to work after all. I have returned my motherboard and am waiting now on the 302/301 revision, but before I RMA'd the 205 revsion board I did a mock up by placing the motherboard over the screw holes, and placing the 7000 in place. It fit, not much room to spare, but it fit.

Maybe MikeC's great idea would work for you.

Lilla

cmcquistion

Post by cmcquistion » Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:45 am

helzerr wrote:No one knows for certain if this will fit or not? If not, what is the best substitute for the 7000A that will fit?
The SLK-800 and SLK-900 (clip-on type only) will fit on that board and work just great. Make sure you don't get the bolt-on type, though. They are rotated 90 degrees and will stick over the top of the board a LOT.
helzerr wrote:Thanks for the great link, Lilla! On page 8 of Chris's article, by the looks of that 80mm fan rotated 45 degrees and mounted on an SK-6+, there may be enough room for a 7000A in there after all... Corner to corner, an 80mm fan should be ~113mm across, the Zalman is only 109mm in diameter.
That board in page 8 of my article with an SK-6+ and 80mm Panaflo was not an A7N8X. It was a Shuttle board and the socket was lower on the board, then the A7N8X's socket. That picture will give you an idea how much space there is between the motherboard and PSU, though.

helzerr

Post by helzerr » Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:44 am

I didn't think it looked like a Asus board. What model Shuttle board did you use? About how much lower do you think the Shuttle's socket is compared to the A7N8X?

mahkum2

Post by mahkum2 » Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:15 pm

helzerr--I don't think it will fit. Here is the relevant link. Key thing here is this statement:
Compatibility requires that no physical interference by the power supply occurs within the 55mm radius of the CPU socket's center
This following image clarifies it even better...

I too was in a similar situation as yours but in the end I chose to go with the SLK 800 and I am very happy with it.

cmcquistion

Post by cmcquistion » Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:11 pm

helzerr wrote:I didn't think it looked like a Asus board. What model Shuttle board did you use? About how much lower do you think the Shuttle's socket is compared to the A7N8X?
It was a Shuttle AK35GT2. I'm not sure exactly how much lower it was. I don't have the Shuttle or the Asus board in my posession, any more, so I can't measure, exactly.

makhum2's statement, however, hits the nail on the head. If you already have the A7N8X, you should be able to measure, using the information listed. I believe the distance from the top of the motherboard to the bottom of the PSU is about 4-6mm.

helzerr

Post by helzerr » Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:54 pm

After reviewing the Socket 462 specification, if my calculations are correct, there neeeds to be 13.6 mm from the very top of the socket to the bottom of the power supply. I wonder if there will be enough room afforded by the extra space above the socket on the motherboard (maybe 8 mm) plus the space from the top of the board to the bottom of the power supply?

I'll be mail ordering parts to build three systems, thats why I really want to find out beforehand if this'll work. It's close enough that I'll probably take a chance and see, and bend fins if I have to to make it fit.

cmcquistion

Post by cmcquistion » Tue Dec 09, 2003 7:16 pm

helzerr wrote:After reviewing the Socket 462 specification, if my calculations are correct, there neeeds to be 13.6 mm from the very top of the socket to the bottom of the power supply. I wonder if there will be enough room afforded by the extra space above the socket on the motherboard (maybe 8 mm) plus the space from the top of the board to the bottom of the power supply?

I'll be mail ordering parts to build three systems, thats why I really want to find out beforehand if this'll work. It's close enough that I'll probably take a chance and see, and bend fins if I have to to make it fit.
I wouldn't recommend it. I would recommend just getting the SLK-800 or SLK-900 and Panaflo L1A. They will fit and their performance and noise level will be on par with the Zalman.

helzerr

Post by helzerr » Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:54 am

Well, I decided to chance it and I've finally ordered the parts (Evercase 4252b, A7N8X-E Deluxe, CNPS7000A-AlCu), I'll be sure to let you all know what the outcome is.

tofutti

Post by tofutti » Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:19 am

you'll be fine.

i have same mobo, same heatsink, in a chilli case. The top of the mobo is practically flush (~1mm) with the bottom panel of the case (upside-down orientation). I did bend the hell out of the fins of the heatsink, but it's doing it's job keeping my cpu cool.

~61C, 2500+@3200+, stock (asus) voltage, zalman@5V, no other fans.

edit: by fine i mean you'll have to bend the fins :P (not at the natural split of the zalman - should make sense). i assume that you're ok with the cosmetics of this, and you were more interested in if the fan would still spin (not hit the case/psu).

helzerr

Post by helzerr » Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:26 am

I've finally received all the parts, and after assembling everything I'm happy to say that it fits! No bending required. There is about .5mm space between the HS and the PS... Talk about a perfect fit!