Air vs Water for silence

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Rykon

Air vs Water for silence

Post by Rykon » Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:24 pm

Hi, this will be my first attempt at building a silent pc. I was thinking of going with a Athlon 64 of some type. My findings so far would be going with:

A: A external for the liquid and throwing it in any old case and if needed replacing the PS with a quieter one:
ThermalTake Aquarius III External Liquid Cooling System

B: Go for a silent air cooled pc and get everything new:
Lian-Li PC-6070
Zalman cnps7000-cu

I heard somewhere I can not remember where but, all the Athlon 64 chips except the FX are locked. If so would it be worth getting the water bases system for overclocking?

Price is not a total option breaker but I would rather not spend over $400 on just case/cooling.

Any input on what you think would be a better set up would help.

chylld

Post by chylld » Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:07 am

Welcome to SPCR, Rykon!

It really depends on your taste. Watercooling will cost you a lot more usually but it'll give you that little bit more performance (a lot more, actually). Have you looked at the Asetek Waterchill system? That one's won heaps of awards. But don't limit yourself to complete wc kits - have a look around at some individual parts; which is what you'll have to do if you want the best performance.

Try to stay away from aluminium cases (lian li, etc) since they have a significantly greater tendency to vibrate and resonate and thus amplify sounds coming from inside your case. Unless you want it for style, or are prepared to dampen the case with (expensive) acoustic material, go with a steel case.

As of a couple of months ago or so, all amd chips except for athlon fx's were coming out of the factory locked. Whether this alters your cooling needs is beyond me, but if you read around a bit you'll find that the a64's are often quite poor overclockers anyway.

If I were you I'd go for option A, but not necessarily that specific system. Once I have more money I'd get a new, steel case.

Seal

Post by Seal » Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:53 am

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS Rykon!!!!!!!!!!111

Hi i watercool. Whatever you do if u decide to go water. DO NOT get a prebuilt case, not even the asetek waterchill, the performance of these kits are very very bad compaired to kits you put togeather yourself. They are also alot more expensive then putting it togeather youerself. - the money you'd save would probably be enough to buy yourself a new case.

External watercooling is also a little cumbersome, if you have the time to make a nice external box and dont transport it around much then that option is often better as you can place the box for good, cool airflow. If i were you i'd go for chyllds option, get watercooling and when you get more money, get a new case. Why isnt internal watercooling an option in your books?

I did something similar to what chylld suggested, i started with my old naff case with watercooling and upgraded to a nice new case about 1/2 a year later. Have never regretted doing it or going watercooling.

Thats my old setup.

This is my new setup.

Seal

chylld

Post by chylld » Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:03 pm

We really need a watercooling section in SPCR :) it'd be good to list some low-med flow recommended wc components

miker
Patron of SPCR

Post by miker » Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:36 pm

Watercooled Sonata. Pretty low flow equipment.