E4252 case & D875PBZLK mobo - Connecting Internal Header

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Lilla

E4252 case & D875PBZLK mobo - Connecting Internal Header

Post by Lilla » Sat Jan 10, 2004 4:26 pm

E4252 case & D875PBZLK mobo - Connecting Internal Headers?

I'm looking for confirmation that I've connected the Internal Headers from the case (Evercase E-4252) to the motherboard (Intel D875PBZLK version 301) correctly. The instructions are abreviated, and seem to assume that one can read between the lines, and being a newbie (first build) I decided I should ask for some help, or at least confirmation before I turn the power on. I don't want to blow anything up here.

The two USB connectors supplied by E4242 have one wire per connector that is labeled with a small up arrow (sort of like this ^) only. It doesn't say KSP like the other connectors described next.
What does ^ mean?

Other connectors supplied by E4252 have one wire per connector that is labeled ^ KSP.
What does KSP mean?

How does a wire labeled ^ alone differ from a wire labled ^ KSP ?

Quick Reference manual page 17: Figure 8. Location of Internal Headers.
provides the layout of the Front panel headers, that looks something like this:

On/Off (top/left); Reset (top/right)
[8] | [7]
[6] | [5]
--- ---
[4] | [3]
[2] | [1]
power LED (bottom/left); HD LED (bottom/right)

Now, here's what I decided to do, based upon what looks logical to me, but might in fact be totally wrong:

I aligned the ^ KSP wires on the E4252 connectors with the pins labeled [1], [2], [5], [6] on d875pbz diagram above.

The result is that the labels on the connectors from the E4252 all face the same direction, ie the labels face the memory slots. This means that the writing on the "on/off" & "Power LED" connectors cannot be read because they face the back of the front row of connectors.

Please advise if what I did above is right or wrong, as I don't want to blow anything up.

Thanks for your help,
Lilla

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Jan 11, 2004 6:23 am

OK, I'll assume that all you're trying to do is hook up the front panel switches (Power and Reset switches and the Power and HDD LEDs).

I'll also assume that your ASCII diagram is a representation of this:

First off, I don't know what the "^" symbol and the "KSP" means but it really doesn't matter.

Each set of wires has a hot side and a ground side and that only matters for the Power and HDD LEDs.

The Power switch and the Reset switch can be hooked up in either orientation and they'll work fine. So just plug the Reset connector into pins #7/5 and the Power connector into pins #6/8 and both of your switches will function perfectly.

The Power and HDD LED wires are polarity sensitive but it won't hurt them to be hooked up backwards, their respective lights just won't work. I've found that *generally* the colored wires are the hot (or positive) and the white wires are the ground (or negative) so I'd try hooking up the HDD LED wire so the colored one is on pin #1 and the white is on pin #3. Hook up the Power LED wire so the colored one is on pin #2 and the white one is on pin #4. If you start your system and the Power and/or HDD LEDs don't light, just shut it back down and flip the connector over the other way, then you'll be fine.

Just to reiterate: You can't mess anything up if the polarity on the connectors isn't right, the Power and Reset switched will work no matter which way they're plugged into the mobo header and the 2 LEDs won't work if they're plugged in backwards but it won't hurt anything either.

Lilla

Post by Lilla » Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:00 pm

Ralf, thanks. Wow!! I am always amazed by your clarity.

To my surprise, what I had done matched what you said I should do, which indicates that ^ or ^ KSP denotes the hot (+/positive) side, at least in this instance.

Thanks for sharing your experience with me. I'll print your post out and save it. I appreciate your explaining the white wire / colored wire method.

COUNT DOWN... fingers crossed!!!... LIFT OFF (please!!!)...
I'm about ready to turn the power on, and I am scared to death.

One reason I am scared is because I noticed that there is a little round tallish component near the speaker, labeled C9J1, that it is not solidly connected like the other components are.

I noticed that it was tilted, not straight like the others, so I put a finger on it (gently) to see if it felt secure, and it MOVED, it actually kind of jumped to a different angle, a little more upright, but still not quite staight up. I know that components may not be straight and this is fine, so long as they are secure, that's why I was so startled when it moved. I was expecting to find that while it was tilted, it was secure, but that was not what I found. I'm afraid to touch it again. I am concerned about the implications of this. Is this something that will affect the integrity of the board? What does this component do?

This component is labeled "C9J1". It sits right next to the 3-pin Power LED connector labeled B in Figure 8. Locationof Internal Headers on pg 17. Note, this is not the 2 pin Power LED connector that is part of the front panel header that we have been discussing.

AFAIK, I did not at any time bump this component. I tend to work slowly I stay pretty aware of my movements, so I am pretty sure that the board arrived like this.

If the board doesn't start up, then I'll suspect this component. And if it does start up, then maybe I should run some kind in depth diagnostic on the board to make sure the board can pass all the tests.

I'll keep you posted on what happens when I turn the power on. I connected the floppy drive only for now. I left the hard drives, and cd-rom disconnected for now. I connected the CPU fan via the Fan Mate to the motherboard. I connected the PSU fan monitoring cable to the motherboard Vreg fan pins. I connected the back Panaflo fan via the Fan Mate to the motherboard. I left the front fan disconnected for now. I connected all of the Internal headers per figure 8, and all of the fans and power connectors per figure 9, execpt for the Chassis intrusion - my case doesn't have a connector for this, and this is not a feature I would use anyway.

Thanks for your help,
Lilla

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:17 pm

Good luck, hope all goes well with your first startup attempt. Don't hesitate to email me if you have questions/problems. You've got my email address or you can find it here.

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Sun Jan 11, 2004 1:52 pm

Good luck, hope all goes well with your first startup attempt. Don't hesitate to email me if you have questions/problems. You've got my email address or you can find it here.
Ralf, you really are a gentleman. (BIG tick emoticon)

You've helped me, as you've helped others ('DOUBLE' BIG tick emoticon),
but this is the Perfect example of what convinced me to join the forum ranks.

I've floated round on the interweb for 4yrs and this is the first site that accepts people from all levels of competence without any predudice.

Which is what prompted me to join the forums and the (folding) team. (A first for me (Mr Cynical) on both counts)

Yourself, haysdb, MikeC, Zy...thingy (only joking Zyzzyx :lol: ), mpteach, miker and numourous others make this a site with a massive spirit of unity and good will.

Makes me feel good to be part of something this good... and I don't contribute much :roll:, just a few measly points. :cry:

Hope this (above) thread shows others what SPCR is all about and tempts them to join the ranks.

Keep it up guys, an excellent job is being done with not enough recognition but I'm sure it's appreciated far more than you all (everybody) realise.

Pete

And long may we continue to tronce 'the mac lads'. :lol:

Doh!.... nearly managed a post without a jibe :roll: (in the friendliest 'we're better than you' way :lol: :lol: )

Lilla

Post by Lilla » Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:31 pm

Ralf Hutter wrote:Good luck, hope all goes well with your first startup attempt. Don't hesitate to email me if you have questions/problems. You've got my email address or you can find it here.
Thanks Ralf, fortunately it looks like I won't be needing to send up any SOS smoke signals... But, it is a great comfort to know that I've got this great forum, and great people like you, that are willing to help when needed.

Good news! I flipped the switch and all is well. It works. Yes!

I've got it running MemTest86 now.
Video card only is installed currently.

A couple of initial observations, ie wrinkles I will need to address later...

1) CNPS700AlCu has a rather loud tick, I can hear it (case cover is off) from my other computer which is about 10-12 feet away. The ticking sounds louder with the Zalman turned all the way down. With the fan mate turned all the way up, the swishing sound help cover up the ticking sound.

2) On the back fan, if I turn the Fan Mate all the way down, then the fan stops turning, it just sort of quivers as if it is trying to start but cannot.

Followup: More good news, the two issues above were resolved by a BIOS change. Intel d875pbzlk ver 301, BIOS 16 (shipped), Fan Control Enabled => Disabled. This is under Advanced tab > Fan Control Configuration.

Conclusion: With the Zalman Fan Mate Controllers installed, I needed to disable the built in fan control, at least with this BIOS version.

Thanks for all the great support,
Lilla

Gooserider

Post by Gooserider » Sun Jan 11, 2004 6:02 pm

One reason I am scared is because I noticed that there is a little round tallish component near the speaker, labeled C9J1, that it is not solidly connected like the other components are.
I am guessing from the description and the label, that you are talking about an electrolytic capacitor that looks like a miniature tin can (probably wrapped in plastic) with two legs sticking out the bottom into the motherboard? If so, as long as both legs are sticking into holes in the board and are securely soldered then it being a bit wobbly isn't a great concern. If one of the legs is broken, or not securely soldered, then you should probably RMA the board.

What can happen with 'Through hole' type components is that they don't get stuffed all the way into the board when it is being loaded (or sometimes they get pushed out a little when the board is being wave soldered) and end up spaced a little off the board. (Electrolytic caps are particularly prone to this for a number of reasons) The gap means that the legs are able to flex a bit so the component wobbles. As long as the legs are securely soldered, and don't break from excessive flexing, it doesn't do any real harm.

Gooserider

Lilla

Post by Lilla » Sun Jan 11, 2004 7:47 pm

Gooserider, thank you so much for explaining that, I feel better now.

To all, I want to report that my new build is so, so, so quiet - this is without the hard drive but that is the best way to evaluate the noise of the power supply, and fans. When running MemTest86 it is practically silent. This is with the cover off. I am so tickled! It is way better than I expected :)

Of course when I put a load on the CPU it will be louder, and when I add the hard drives. Will see as things get added. Will keep you posted.

Thanks for your help,
Lilla