Alert: Team MacOSX shows life

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Macaholic

Post by Macaholic » Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:50 am

Looks as if your members have been turning off THEIR machines. Everything alright over here?! Hello, anybody home? :wink: So near, and yet so far!
22 EOC Folding@Home Team -124,573 7,501 04.7.04, 9pm / 17 Days

23 SilentPCReview Folding@Home -11,394 2,046 03.27.04, 8pm / 6 Days

wgragg

Post by wgragg » Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:37 am

Macaholic wrote:Looks as if your members have been turning off THEIR machines. Everything alright over here?! Hello, anybody home? :wink: So near, and yet so far!
22 EOC Folding@Home Team -124,573 7,501 04.7.04, 9pm / 17 Days

23 SilentPCReview Folding@Home -11,394 2,046 03.27.04, 8pm / 6 Days
Nah, we just got inundated with 160 pointers and unlike some others, we don't delete them when we get them!

***Disclaimer****. The above comment is not aimed at anyone in particular. The guilty already know who they are and the innocent shouldn't care.

alcimedes

Post by alcimedes » Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:52 am

lol, people are deleting large proteins when they get them?

two questions:

1. how do you find the time to figure out what each machine is folding, then delete them as they come in?

2. aren't these actually worth a pretty decent ppd total? it's just that they take a long time to finish?

(or are these the proteins crashing machines, in which case both of the above two are answered)

Macaholic

Post by Macaholic » Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:20 am

Nah, we just got inundated with 160 pointers and unlike some others, we don't delete them when we get them!
Those damned others! What can you do?! Really! :lol:

wgragg

Post by wgragg » Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:50 am

alcimedes wrote:lol, people are deleting large proteins when they get them?

two questions:

1. how do you find the time to figure out what each machine is folding, then delete them as they come in?

2. aren't these actually worth a pretty decent ppd total? it's just that they take a long time to finish?

(or are these the proteins crashing machines, in which case both of the above two are answered)
Well, since I have 42 processors running, I'm not about to check them all. People with one or 2 processors can check their unitinfo.txt file or use one of the utilities that tell.

Actually, I think most of that happens with tinkers. Some people feel that if their machines aren't optimized for tinkers it is ok to delete them and hope for a gromac. They forget that the point of the exercise is not points, but to help the research. By cancelling them, they just slow down the researchers.

AZBrandon
Friend of SPCR

Post by AZBrandon » Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:25 am

wgragg wrote:Well, since I have 42 processors running, I'm not about to check them all.
Maybe this was answered elsewhere and I couldn't find it, but what is the type/speed of the majority of your processors?

NoahJ

Post by NoahJ » Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:38 am

Hey, I have been getting 160 pointers all weekend. And still we gain. Excuses are like armpits... :P

Macaholic

Post by Macaholic » Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:45 am

Yes, what ever happened to the big ARMpit?! They really are SILENT! I can't hear anything from them! :P Fold on!

wgragg

Post by wgragg » Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:39 pm

AZBrandon wrote:
wgragg wrote:Well, since I have 42 processors running, I'm not about to check them all.
Maybe this was answered elsewhere and I couldn't find it, but what is the type/speed of the majority of your processors?
Hmm, I will have to guesstimate here, but I will start with what I know for sure:

1 Barton 2500, overclocked slightly
1. Athlon 1800 at stock
1 Celeron 1.8 laptop.
9 or 10 p4 2.4c's
1 Xeon running only one of the processors
1 Xeon 1.9 gig (If I remember right)

Most of the rest are PIII 800's with a few pII's in the mix.

The first 3 are my personal machines. The rest are from my work.

I will be adding a couple more p4's soon. Also, we are looking at a large scale modernization, so I might be adding a number of p4's as well as replacing the PII's with P4's. This may be months away though.

Sorry guys, no Macs. Our Library Automation System requires PC's and we have had no demand for Macs as public access machines.

wgragg

Post by wgragg » Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:41 pm

Macaholic wrote:Yes, what ever happened to the big ARMpit?! They really are SILENT! I can't hear anything from them! :P Fold on!
ARM warned us that their massive point blitz would not be sustained. They have a business to run first and foremost and what points they are able to contribute largely depends on how well their business is doing. I am sure we will see rises and falls from them, but what is more important is their loyalty to the cause.

roym@arm
-- Vendor --

Post by roym@arm » Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:27 pm

wgragg wrote:
Macaholic wrote:Yes, what ever happened to the big ARMpit?! They really are SILENT! I can't hear anything from them! :P Fold on!
ARM warned us that their massive point blitz would not be sustained. They have a business to run first and foremost and what points they are able to contribute largely depends on how well their business is doing. I am sure we will see rises and falls from them, but what is more important is their loyalty to the cause.
Just let me know when you see the white of their eyes... :evil:

RoyM

NoahJ

Post by NoahJ » Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:45 pm

:shock:

How's this?

:lol:

Macaholic

Post by Macaholic » Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:49 pm

Just let me know when you see the white of their eyes...

RoyM
I'd say you can see not only our eyes, but a big boot coming to kick your Gluteus maximus! :lol:
23 SilentPCReview Folding@Home -12,770 1,776 03.29.04, 9pm / 7 Days
Last edited by Macaholic on Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roym@arm
-- Vendor --

Post by roym@arm » Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:50 pm

NoahJ wrote::shock:

How's this?

:lol:
Nope...we don't fire until we see the real WHITE of your eyes and we won't stop until we see the tears rolling down... :lol:

RoyM

NoahJ

Post by NoahJ » Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:10 pm

Ok, see you in a week or so.... :twisted:

roym@arm
-- Vendor --

Post by roym@arm » Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:00 pm

wgragg wrote:
Hi Wragg,

Sorry we had to turn it up a little. We were waiting for you to catch up, but the MacOS guys are getting too cocky.. so we powered up our big folding clients back on-line yesterday..:lol: Enjoyed seeing you in the rear view mirror.

We should now be pulling away from them...check the stats... In a couple of days, they'll be off the threat list.

Fold on! :wink:

RoyM

mas92264
Patron of SPCR

Post by mas92264 » Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:26 pm

Roy,

Hey, glad to see you guys around again. Just slow down a little when you get up behind me. :)

M

roym@arm
-- Vendor --

Post by roym@arm » Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:01 pm

mas92264 wrote:Roy,

Hey, glad to see you guys around again. Just slow down a little when you get up behind me. :)

M
Thanks M...we'll be sure to tip-toe along. Let's get a little buffer away from Team MacOS and we'll let you enjoy being #7 or #6? for a long while. :wink:

RoyM

NoahJ

Post by NoahJ » Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:57 pm

Keep flapping your ARM's and eventually you will not be able to stay ahead anymore.

roym@arm
-- Vendor --

Post by roym@arm » Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:51 pm

NoahJ wrote:Keep flapping your ARM's and eventually you will not be able to stay ahead anymore.
:shock: "eventually?" :shock: Sounds like you just want us to eventually get tired so you can pass us again! The trick is to get more of those expensive Macs and get them folding... :lol:

Macaholic

Post by Macaholic » Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:35 pm

The trick is to get more of those expensive Macs and get them folding...
That IS quite difficult to do. Unfortunately, I like to get important revenue generating business done by using my Macs. So, to compensate I just buy plenty of CHEAP PC parts using the money generated from my Macs and allow them to fold non-stop. :lol: Cocky?! No, more like CONFIDENT! :P Just fold it!

wgragg

Post by wgragg » Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:02 am

roym@arm wrote:
wgragg wrote:
Hi Wragg,

Sorry we had to turn it up a little. We were waiting for you to catch up, but the MacOS guys are getting too cocky.. so we powered up our big folding clients back on-line yesterday..:lol: Enjoyed seeing you in the rear view mirror.

We should now be pulling away from them...check the stats... In a couple of days, they'll be off the threat list.

Fold on! :wink:

RoyM
Roy, don't worry about me, I much prefer beating the pants off the Mac guys over what position I am in within our team.

wgragg

Post by wgragg » Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:04 am

Macaholic wrote:
The trick is to get more of those expensive Macs and get them folding...
That IS quite difficult to do. Unfortunately, I like to get important revenue generating business done by using my Macs. So, to compensate I just buy plenty of CHEAP PC parts using the money generated from my Macs and allow them to fold non-stop. :lol: Cocky?! No, more like CONFIDENT! :P Just fold it!
You mean you make that much money using macs to run bubblegum machines? Wow! I guess 90% of the business world using PC's can learn a lesson there. :lol:

Macaholic

Post by Macaholic » Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:19 am

You mean you make that much money using macs to run bubblegum machines?
Yeah. You know the ones with cheap trinket toy prizes in them. I fill them with CHEAP PC parts and WINDOWS code and people herd like lemmings running off a cliff to get to the stuff! :lol: It's crazy I tell you! But, business is booming! Fold on!

roym@arm
-- Vendor --

Post by roym@arm » Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:41 am

Macaholic wrote:
You mean you make that much money using macs to run bubblegum machines?
Yeah. You know the ones with cheap trinket toy prizes in them. I fill them with CHEAP PC parts and WINDOWS code and people herd like lemmings running off a cliff to get to the stuff! :lol: It's crazy I tell you! But, business is booming! Fold on!
Its nice to know that when F@H research finds a cure for what ills humanity, a great deal of credit go to the cheap PC parts we all put together, including those cheap PC's the MacOS guys mostly uses for folding. They now just as much admited cheap PC's generate the best folding power for the $$$ :wink:

Macaholic

Post by Macaholic » Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:37 am

cure for what ills humanity
Look. I already know the cure for that. Get rid of Microsoft, Bill Gates, and Michael Dell! :lol: To quote John Lennon, 'Imagine!' :wink:

wgragg

Post by wgragg » Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:04 am

Macaholic wrote:
cure for what ills humanity
Look. I already know the cure for that. Get rid of Microsoft, Bill Gates, and Michael Dell! :lol: To quote John Lennon, 'Imagine!' :wink:
You forgot to mention Steve Jobs.....(or whoever it is that is leading Apple nowadays).

Besides, price does not equate to quality. Heck, I remember the days when it cost Apple 1250 dollars to produce a Mac, but charged $2500 for it. Now that is really making money!

NoahJ

Post by NoahJ » Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:56 am

Economies of scale my man. Economies of scale...

wgragg

Post by wgragg » Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:30 am

NoahJ wrote:Economies of scale my man. Economies of scale...
Of course! This is why PC parts are so inexpensive and have a superior price/performance ratio. Besides, at the time that Apple was charging so much, economies of scale were not as big an issue. Apple could easily have lowered their profit margin for a while to be competitive. If they had, the Mac might have become more popular and be a greater threat to the PC. I am sure that more industries wish they could have a 100% markup, but the sad reality of life is that market forces kill them in a lot of cases.

I won't even get into the thing about the proprietary bundling of the Mac OS with only Apple hardware.

All the technical arguments for or against the platform aside, one has to admit that Gates and Co., really did a brilliant job of marketing. When you add to that the strength of the IBM name when the PC first came out in the early 80's, and you have the situation we see today.

I am not a fan of the Mac OS (or at least the one I remember when I used to support them), but that is more personal preference than anything else. That having been said, I actually wish Apple had a greater market share so that the competition would force better quality on the part of Microsoft and others.

Who knows. Maybe someday, Linux will be ready for the mass market and do both the other platforms in.

Hehe, hmm....I think I got a bit off topic here! :oops:

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:33 am

NoahJ wrote:Excuses are like armpits... :P
Um, everyone has TWO?

David