Alert: Team MacOSX shows life

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

roym@arm
-- Vendor --

Post by roym@arm » Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:30 pm

Apparenty, long enough to "kick your Gluteus maximus!" :lol:

Well now...since last I checked, we own all the machines folding under ARM. Even the ones being built for customers are ours until they are shipped. But I don't question others who fold their employers computers and I'm certain there are many out there including MacOSX.

Because Team SPCR is a much stronger team than MacOSx, we can decide when to turn it down and when to crank it up. :P

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:52 am

Macaholic wrote:What does the ARM acronym stand for? Wait, wait! I know! Is it Aren't Really My Systems?!
Macaholic, perhaps it's just my imagination, but IMO your posts re: ARM are frequently borderline "inappropriate". If the roles were reversed, your forum moderators would have stepped in a long time ago. Continue your personal attacks on Stevo and Roy's integrity, and you risk losing your PRIVILEGE to post here.

David

Edit: corrected spelling of 'losing'
Edit: corrected spelling of 'perhaps'
Are there any more misspellings Makaholik?
Last edited by haysdb on Sat Mar 27, 2004 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Macaholic

Post by Macaholic » Sat Mar 27, 2004 6:44 am

you risk loosing your PRIVILEGE to post here.
Yeah. And I might lose it too! I sure hope things are not getting loose! :P Darn spellcheck! GIGO. The question was not answered. What does the ARM acronym stand for. I've searched the ARM website with a fine toothed comb but found nothing. Is it double top-secret, classified information? I'm sleepless in Seattle. Looks like you are too David! A 3:50 AM post, yikes! :lol: Fold on!
Last edited by Macaholic on Sat Mar 27, 2004 6:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

mas92264
Patron of SPCR

Post by mas92264 » Sat Mar 27, 2004 6:57 am

What does the ARM acronym stand for
I can't figure out why this is of any interest to you, other than to prolong your immature postings.

M

wgragg

Post by wgragg » Sat Mar 27, 2004 7:02 am

Macaholic wrote:
you risk loosing your PRIVILEGE to post here.
Yeah. And I might lose it too! I sure hope things are not getting loose! :P Darn spellcheck! GIGO! The question was not answered. What does the ARM acronym stand for. I've searched the ARM website with a fine toothed comb but found nothing. Is it double top-secret, classified information? I'm sleepless in Seattle. :lol: Fold on!
Hey, who let the spelling police in here? Next thing you know, the grammar gendarmes will invade and investigate our split infinitives or our dangling participles. The dizzardly habit of ending our sentences in prepostions may be hard to rid ourselves of. Isn't an adverb a commercial with action, as in a car chase? And as always, avoid alliteration! Oops, did I begin a sentence with a conjunction? Oh my! Someone slap me silly and take away my linguistic crown! Tie my tongue around my back teeth and make me recite Vogon poetry!

BTW, I don't understand why you should be sleepless, unless your Mac is just so noisy it is keeping you awake! :wink:
Last edited by wgragg on Sat Mar 27, 2004 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Macaholic

Post by Macaholic » Sat Mar 27, 2004 7:09 am

You are a punny guy wgragg! Not to be confused with puny! :wink:
BTW, I don't udnerstand why you should be sleepless, unless your Mac is just so noisy it is keeping you awake!
Looks like the spillcheek es nut wurking! :lol: I'm sleepless because I was trying to commiserate with David's early bird postings! Fold on amigo!

roym@arm
-- Vendor --

Post by roym@arm » Sat Mar 27, 2004 7:10 am

BTW, I don't udnerstand why you should be sleepless, unless your Mac is just so noisy it is keeping you awake! :wink:
Hey wgragg,

Why was Tom Hanks sleepless in Seattle? :?:

He hasn't gotten any in a long time... :wink:

wgragg

Post by wgragg » Sat Mar 27, 2004 7:14 am

Macaholic wrote:You are a punny guy wgragg! Not to be confused with puny! :wink:
BTW, I don't udnerstand why you should be sleepless, unless your Mac is just so noisy it is keeping you awake!
Looks like the spillcheek es nut wurking! :lol: I'm sleepless because I was trying to commiserate with David's early bird postings! Fold on amigo!
Actually, that was my fingers typing faster than my brain! Sometimes my linguacious nature exeeds my typing abilities. But, I have the satisfaction of knowing that I do not have a scortatory relationship with my computer platform!

wgragg

Post by wgragg » Sat Mar 27, 2004 7:14 am

roym@arm wrote:

BTW, I don't udnerstand why you should be sleepless, unless your Mac is just so noisy it is keeping you awake! :wink:
Hey wgragg,

Why was Tom Hanks sleepless in Seattle? :?:

He hasn't gotten any in a long time... :wink:
LOL, poor Tom!

Macaholic

Post by Macaholic » Sat Mar 27, 2004 7:19 am

Sometimes my linguacious nature exeeds my typing abilities.
So are you saying you are a cunning linguist and in need of a typing tutor? :lol:

wgragg

Post by wgragg » Sat Mar 27, 2004 7:22 am

Now who is trying to be punny? I have never claimed to be cunning, linguist or not. Anyone who says that is uttering pure codswallop!

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:08 pm

Macaholic's modus operandi reminds me of the "land shark" skits from Saturday Night Live. When we're not buying one annoying line of bullshit, he simply switches to another.

To partially answer your "rhetorical question," I suspect that the R in ARM stands for Roy, not that it's any of your business. It wasn't REALLY a question though, was it.

David

alcimedes

Post by alcimedes » Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:57 pm

certainly it's uncalled for.

if ARM throws up a pile of points to help their team reach the EOC overtake before we do, it's FINE.

that just means more research getting done. if we get some ribbing for not passing EOC first, it's all in good fun.

sometimes it can be hard to be competitive and still remember that one person/team doing well just helps everyone.

keep up the folding roy!

Macaholic

Post by Macaholic » Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:57 pm

Edit: corrected my spelling of 'losing'
Land shark!!!! Purhaps. :lol:

Edit: corrected your spelling of 'perhaps'

roym@arm
-- Vendor --

Post by roym@arm » Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:01 pm

alcimedes wrote:certainly it's uncalled for.

if ARM throws up a pile of points to help their team reach the EOC overtake before we do, it's FINE.

that just means more research getting done. if we get some ribbing for not passing EOC first, it's all in good fun.

sometimes it can be hard to be competitive and still remember that one person/team doing well just helps everyone.

keep up the folding roy!
You're a great sport, a true gentleman and a real credit for your team! :wink:

RoyM

NoahJ

Post by NoahJ » Sat Mar 27, 2004 3:41 pm

Hey, even with ARM folding we are still gaining. Even if it is slower than we would like. Keep it up. The more you push us the faster we go! We have been making higher daily totals all the time! And as people say all the time, Pande research wins!

Macaholic

Post by Macaholic » Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:15 pm

I think it's more like drafting! :) I know I've shaved all my exposed body hair in order to cut down on wind resistance! :lol: Keep on folding on!

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Sat Mar 27, 2004 6:04 pm

Macaholic wrote:
Edit: corrected my spelling of 'losing'
Land shark!!!! Purhaps. :lol:

Edit: corrected your spelling of 'perhaps'
It's not polite to make fun of the handicapped.

David

speedfreak

Post by speedfreak » Sat Mar 27, 2004 8:44 pm

What does ARM really stand for?

Fold on ARM. The race is always more fun than the victory.

Great website Roy. Have you thought of building/selling a box just for the folding addicts out here? I bet macaholic would buy quite a few if you gave him a good price. :D

roym@arm
-- Vendor --

Post by roym@arm » Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:18 pm

speedfreak wrote:What does ARM really stand for?

Fold on ARM. The race is always more fun than the victory.

Great website Roy. Have you thought of building/selling a box just for the folding addicts out here? I bet macaholic would buy quite a few if you gave him a good price. :D
As a matter of fact, we just successfully tested a diskless folding cluster made up of a MB, CPU, Memory, and PS (of course monitor is nice just to see if everything is okay.) This is so cool because all you do is connect it to a simple work server running a cluster OS (a Linux derivative version) and off it folds. We did have to write management scripts that executes the folding for each client and manages the work folders for each.

So you can start with a few and just keep adding until you run out of ports on your LAN. One could build a box to house 7-8 clients and the box can be as small as 30" high x 12" wide and 20" deep.

Maybe I'll send you a picture once we build the prototype.

Regards,

RoyM

samwc912

Post by samwc912 » Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:55 pm

Macaholic wrote:What does the ARM acronym stand for? Wait, wait! I know! Is it Aren't Really My Systems?! That has to be it! What else could it be?
... what kind of immature provocation is this? Then you dodged the fact that your post was a bit innapropriate and immature by pointing out haysdb's typos. What's the matter with you? If we sum up all of your posts, they are almost all annoying provocations. You should be glad that alcimedes stood out for you. Be a good sport like him will ya? This is supposed to be a friendly competition.

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:55 pm

roym@arm wrote:As a matter of fact, we just successfully tested a diskless folding cluster made up of a MB, CPU, Memory, and PS (of course monitor is nice just to see if everything is okay.) This is so cool because all you do is connect it to a simple work server running a cluster OS (a Linux derivative version) and off it folds. We did have to write management scripts that executes the folding for each client and manages the work folders for each.

So you can start with a few and just keep adding until you run out of ports on your LAN. One could build a box to house 7-8 clients and the box can be as small as 30" high x 12" wide and 20" deep.

Regards,

RoyM
OK, so you are doing a "stack", which accounts for the 30" height. 12" wide is more or less the width of a micro-atx motherboard plus the width of the sides of the box. And I'm guessing the extra depth is for power supplies mounted behind the motherboards. Am I warm?

Which distro of Linux are you using, and what makes it particular to a "cluster"? How is this different from a simple net boot of LTSP Linux?

Hey, maybe if my box is a hit I call sell them for $100 and make 50 cents an hour! :lol:

David

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:24 am

samwc912 wrote:
Macaholic wrote:What does the ARM acronym stand for? Wait, wait! I know! Is it Aren't Really My Systems?! That has to be it! What else could it be?
What's the matter with you? If we sum up all of your posts, they are almost all annoying provocations.
Ah, but that's what he DOES! That's his schtick. He just wouldn't be Macaholic if he wasn't annoying the crap out of someone. I'll tell you what, it's everything a mental midget like me can do to keep up with all of his big words. :? I now have the Dictionary.com toolbar installed right alongside Google. :lol: I still don't know how to use it though. :cry:

David

PS. I agree with you about that particular statement. If Macaholic goes there again, I'm sending Bubba.

roym@arm
-- Vendor --

Post by roym@arm » Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:35 am

haysdb wrote:
roym@arm wrote:As a matter of fact, we just successfully tested a diskless folding cluster made up of a MB, CPU, Memory, and PS (of course monitor is nice just to see if everything is okay.) This is so cool because all you do is connect it to a simple work server running a cluster OS (a Linux derivative version) and off it folds. We did have to write management scripts that executes the folding for each client and manages the work folders for each.

Regards,

RoyM
OK, so you are doing a "stack", which accounts for the 30" height. 12" wide is more or less the width of a micro-atx motherboard plus the width of the sides of the box. And I'm guessing the extra depth is for power supplies mounted behind the motherboards. Am I warm?

Which distro of Linux are you using, and what makes it particular to a "cluster"? How is this different from a simple net boot of LTSP Linux?

Hey, maybe if my box is a hit I call sell them for $100 and make 50 cents an hour! :lol:

David
Hi David,

There are no concrete plans for the actual MB yet. We may be also look at even a smaller form factor like an SFX or ITX...

Your's is probably similar but until we build the prototype, everything is just up in the air.

Will keep you posted...and maybe ask for suggestions and advice.

RoyM

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:59 am

I wouldn't think the ITX motherboards would be powerful enough, but I might be surprised. The low power draw and heat output would definitely be a plus. I hadn't thought about Flex-ATX. Are SFF motherboards like the Shuttle FN41 available separately, or are you talking about complete SFF systems?

David

Macaholic

Post by Macaholic » Sun Mar 28, 2004 5:54 am

Sounds very intriguing. Necessity is the mother of invention.
PS. I agree with you about that particular statement. If Macaholic goes there again, I'm sending Bubba.
Better send his twin brother Hubba as well. You know Hubba and Bubba work great together! I could 'chew' them up good! :lol: It's always fun fishing with good 'bait'! Looks like we got a live one here! Better relax the drag and reel some more! :wink: Fold like the wind!
Be a good sport like him will ya?
Oh, but I am son! I really am! :P

speedfreak

Post by speedfreak » Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:38 pm

A guess at what ARM stands for. Took a clue from RoyM. If this is correct I understand the reluctance to tell what ARM really stands for.

A= roy's given name
R= roy
M= roy's last name

Would love to see some pics of the prototype diskless folder.

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:54 pm

A = Anita
R = Roy
M = Manalastas

from: http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewto ... f7dc#58353

roym@arm
-- Vendor --

Post by roym@arm » Sun Mar 28, 2004 4:29 pm

Both Trip and speedfreak gets an all expense paid trip to the nearest MacD for a juicy hamburger.

I bet none of you guys did not lose any sleep figuring that one out.
In otherwords, you weren't sleepless in Seattle... :wink:

speedfreak

Post by speedfreak » Sun Mar 28, 2004 4:39 pm

Delicious - thanks Roy

No sleep lost here.