XP-M for Folding on an SN41G2?

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

XP-M for Folding on an SN41G2?

Post by sthayashi » Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:23 am

I've posted this in the general discussion section, but I'm getting no responses. Since this question is directly related to Silent Folding, I'll ask again here.

Right now I have an Athlon XP 2400+ sitting in a Shuttle SN41G2 machine that's folding for team SPCR. Unfortunately, the folding stresses the processor and the fan speed goes up due to the heat generated. Inspite of my efforts in cutting the grill and replacing the fan with an M1BX, it still runs hot n' loud.

So I'm considering purchasing an XP-M processor to replace it and hopefully it will run cooler and quieter. In addition, I would get the SilentX SFF powersupply from Shuttle to reduce the power supply noise.

The XP-M I'm considering is the 2600+, since it runs at the same stock frequency as the normal 2400+. However, I'm worried that this course of action is simply a waste of money and that I'm better of saving that money and putting it towards a Shuttle Zen and a P4 processor.

Can anyone comment and help me decide what to wish for? Thanks.

mas92264
Patron of SPCR

Post by mas92264 » Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:59 am

sthayashi,

I've got both an SN45G (Barton 2800+) and an SB62G2 (P4 2.8C.) Both of them are slightly oc'd and fold 24/7. I'm using Panaflo MBX's in both of them with the exhaust grill cut out. I use SpeedFan to control the cpu fans on both machines.

With room temp of about 80 F (27C) right now, I'm getting middle 50's C cpu temps with the "ice fan" sometimes spinning up to full speed.

Seems that the M's run at a lower temp as they use a lower vcore. Check out Mike C's updated cpu list, I think there's some new info there. However, a reduction of only a few watts isn't likely to make a dramatic difference.

I have one of the 250W psu's in my SB62G2 and it is nearly dead quiet. Kinda expensive, tho, at $70 or so. Note that Shuttle is releasing some V2 versions of their boxes that have the 250w psu as part of the package.

M

Edit: Mike's table shows the 2500M at 45W and the non-m at 68W. Pretty big difference. Heck, I might try one. :)
Last edited by mas92264 on Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:02 am

sthayashi, If I understand which procs. your talking about correctly
they appear to have the same 68W power requirement.

That is assuming your folding on both so their both at full usage.

The XP-M will consume less power so generate less heat at idle... but if your folding there isn't a difference.

Info can be found here on Wattages: http://myplc.com/sony/docs/amd_processor_reference.html

Does this answer your question?

Pete

aston

Post by aston » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:03 am

This might be an obvious question, but are you sure you can adjust the voltage on that board to 1.45v?

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:01 pm

mas92264, my temperatures are consistant with yours, though I haven't tried using SpeedFan. MBM typically reports around 54 C, which is the temperature that the Fan goes full blast. I've even done the mods that you suggested and I genuinely believe that it's running cooler, but the M1BX running at full blast still isn't quiet. Maybe I should use the EAR mounts.

peteamer, the XP-M that I'm eyeing isn't listed there. Here's Newegg's link.
If I were to guess, it would be a 45W proc. The question is, would this be enough to make the Shuttle run silently, or should I just give up and move to the Zen? I want to spend the least amount of money possible.

aston, no I'm not sure. Though I figured that these XP-Ms were backwards compatible. The manual doesn't say anything about processor voltage settings.

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:07 pm

AXMG at the begining of the proc. ID doesn't exist as far as AMD are concerned.

AXMD does(1.45V).... but not in 2600 format according to AMD... if I read correctly.

You may need to contact Egg to confirm the correct Proc. ID.

Hope this helps :?

Pete

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:25 pm

sthayashi --

So the CPU fan is thermally controlled? Can you run it at a steady state voltage? Are you sure the noise is not the PSU fan ramping up? Can you undervolt the CPU? Have you cut out the exhaust fan grill? 50sC is nothing anyway. Those things can run past 80C (highest I ever got one was 88C --that XP is still cooking somewhere around here).

I wouldn't invest in an XP-M until all the above were explored & found to be wanting.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:39 pm

MikeC wrote:So the CPU fan is thermally controlled? Can you run it at a steady state voltage? Are you sure the noise is not the PSU fan ramping up? Can you undervolt the CPU? Have you cut out the exhaust fan grill? 50sC is nothing anyway. Those things can run past 80C (highest I ever got one was 88C --that XP is still cooking somewhere around here).

I wouldn't invest in an XP-M until all the above were explored & found to be wanting.
Yes, the CPU fan is thermally controlled. Indirectly. I believe it's linked to a thermal diode either in the CPU or around the socket. The fan speed is controlled by the BIOS, and when it reaches a certain temperature, it goes to full blast.

AFAICT, the motherboard doesn't support undervolting, unless I missed an option somewhere. Is it possible to undervolt the hard way, a la bridge cutting/patching? I have the necessary tools to do this.

I know that my CPU isn't that hot, but the problem is that the temperature is high enough to make the cooling fan LOUD (M1BX). That not only goes against the principles of SPCR, but it's also rather annoying (easily audible from 2-3 meters).

Basically, I want to make this particular setup quieter without compromising on my folding.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:13 pm

I would not mess with CPU pins. Too easy to kill it.

The simplest thing is to bypass the CPU fan speed controller. Use a case fan header if there is one, or an adapter directly from the PSU, with a Zalman fanmate1 or similar. Adjust to your preferred balance of temp & noise. The thing is that maybe with that Panaflo at 7V in your setup, it will stabilize at 57C while folding. This is not a high temp at all for a CPU. BUt you'll never find out as long as that thermal controller is kicking in at just above 50C (which is what it sounds like).

Are you sure there is no way to adjust the fan controller?

NullObject

Post by NullObject » Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:11 pm

Another option is to set the folding client to use less than 100% of the CPU. You could lower the percentage until your CPU runs cool enough to prevent the fan from speeding up. Then you could decide if you could live with the lower ppw production before giving up on the CPU.

Personally, I would go MikeC's suggested route of bypassing the CPU fan speed fan controller.

mas92264
Patron of SPCR

Post by mas92264 » Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:07 pm

Just use SpeedFan. It allows you to adjust the fan speed over the entire practical range of the fan's rpm. You can set the "desired cpu temp" at 56C, for example, and then adjust the bottom speed of the fan until your temp stabilizes there or slightly below. Or do it vice-versa. Set your fan speed at say 4% (that's what it is on mine) and see what cpu temp you get. Then adjust your fan speed range up or down as desired.

Be careful when you're doing this. I got my settings tangled up once and my cpu temp shot up to about 75C before I got it straightend out. :shock:

M

TRC-13
Patron of SPCR

Post by TRC-13 » Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:09 pm

I have an SN41G2 and I could not live with the noise. I ended up cutting out the grill and mounting the fan to the fan cage with rubber shock mounts them mounting the cage to the case with more shock mounts.

In CMOS I have my fan speed set to “med-low” using a 80mm Panaflow. The CPU I have is a Barton 2500+ running on a 400MHz FSB at 3200+ without any Vcore changes.

My temps are in the low 50°C range and noise is much better but not to my liking yet. I’m glad to hear positive feedback from mas92264 about the 250W “silent” PSU. I’m going to put one in my box my next newegg order.

mas92264
Patron of SPCR

Post by mas92264 » Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:28 pm

TRC,

You'll like the 250w psu. Fits perfectly.

Probably a little cooler in Reno than here? Been in the low 90's here everyday for the last couple of weeks. Swamp cooler = on!

M

TRC-13
Patron of SPCR

Post by TRC-13 » Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:40 pm

Yup. In the mid 70's during the day and 40's at night still. But our 100°+ summer will start here very soon. I already have my new air filter system installed in my basement for this summer.

I'm moving over 700³ ft/min through the basement to keep it cool down there It's also nice to have when I have LAN Parties with 15+ people and CRT's :(

Unfortunately my cooling system breaks all the rules when it comes to silence. But that’s why it’s in the basement and all my gaming friends are loud anyways.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:53 pm

Well, I just played around now. The biggest source of noise is easily the power supply, closely followed by the hard drive (IBM 60GB deathstar). By using a twist-tie to stop the PSU fan and sitting at my usual place, 2-3m away, it's noticeably quieter. By a lot.

I've switch the settings in the Bios to power down the hard drive after 10 minutes and I think it was quieter, but the PSU fan was overpowering any quietness from it.

Now the question becomes, can I spare $70 for a SilentX PSU from Newegg?

MikeC, I guess I can control speed of the fan in the Bios. I thought that the Bios sped it up automatically, regardless of whether or not it was set to auto or not. The twist-tie test proved otherwise.