Looks Like A New Record Day!

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mas92264
Patron of SPCR

Looks Like A New Record Day!

Post by mas92264 » Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:29 pm

We've posted 32,199 points (EOC) as of 21:00 pst, 4/22 with 3 hours yet to go.

Way to go us! :o

M

Hortalonus

Post by Hortalonus » Thu Apr 22, 2004 7:01 pm

The new allocation of points has boosted not just us but the EOC and MacOSX teams as well to between 6,000 and 7,000 points over the 24 averages. Again, this is a couple of hours before the days totals are in.

isp

Post by isp » Thu Apr 22, 2004 7:11 pm

What is causing the increase? A cache of WU's from downed servers? The new double gromacs?

Good work though I suppose... I'll take them any way I can get them :lol:

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:02 pm

It's "point inflation".

WU's that were worth 71 points are now worth nearly 250. Dedicated systems that struggled to get 650 PPW are now doing 1000.

Another reason for TODAY's spike (Thursday), in addition to the increased points values, is that server .143 is back up. I uploaded NINE queued work units, in addition to all of my regular work, and I think this was pretty typical across the board.

Points will be way down tomorrow vs. today, but higher than yesterday and all days preceding.

It's a new day folks.

David

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:32 pm

This blows our previous high into the deep weeds.

More importantly, this is 2K points more than EOC managed yesterday.

David

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:19 pm

Points inflation.

I'm so excited.

Whee.

<sigh>

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:45 pm

Zyzzyx wrote:Points inflation.

I'm so excited.

Whee.
I am ambivalent about it myself. They are just "points". They have no intrinsic value. Their purpose is to "reward" folders for their efforts, and give us a way to measure our contribution to the project, and compare ourselves with other folders. In these ways, the new points system works just as well as the old one.

One aspect of the increased points that I mostly like, is that it will make it easier for active members to pass inactive members. Take Lockheed for example. Without degrading the immense contribution he made to SPCR's Folding team, the sooner he is out of the top 10, the better, as far as I'm concerned. I don't like seeing his name up there as a constant reminder that he now folds for a different team. Bumping the points is like giving all active folders a raise, as a reward for sticking with it.

BTW, this isn't the first time this has happened, that points have been inflated. This was long before my time, but weren't WU's worth just a few points each at one time?

David

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:59 pm

I dunno. But sometimes I miss the CPU time stat from SETI@Home.

unregistered

Post by unregistered » Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:33 am

I don't like seeing his name up there as a constant reminder that he now folds for a different team
Ahh, but he is still folding for our team, or at least one-two of his borgs are. There is a possibility that they are no longer accessible to him and will be folding for years to come. Every little bit counts and is appreciated. Plus don't count out the return of Lockheed to #31574.

I look forward to passing him too!

Stevo@ARM
-- Vendor --

Post by Stevo@ARM » Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:35 am

haysdb wrote:... One aspect of the increased points that I mostly like, is that it will make it easier for active members to pass inactive members. Take Lockheed for example. Without degrading the immense contribution he made to SPCR's Folding team, the sooner he is out of the top 10, the better, as far as I'm concerned. I don't like seeing his name up there as a constant reminder that he now folds for a different team. Bumping the points is like giving all active folders a raise, as a reward for sticking with it....

David
True, I would also add to David's point that the more rapid accumulation of points just might encourage new folders to stick with it, especially when they slog through their first Tinker and then pop some decents points on the board. My instincts tell me that newbies will feel more encouraged because they will perceive that they are accomplishing more and maintain their motivation better as they are able to pass some of the long dead grey folders ahead of them during that most important first few weeks when they are completing their first couple of work units.

Stevo

mas92264
Patron of SPCR

Post by mas92264 » Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:56 am

More importantly, this is 2K points more than EOC managed yesterday.
Woo Hoo! SPCR's a folding, uhh, err, dynamo! :)

Dear Mom:

Send more Tinkers!

M

ColdFlame

Post by ColdFlame » Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:07 am

Actually even for people who folded for some time already and have peaked their hardware/budget it is very pleasing to extract 4k PPW of "2k PPW worth" hardware. I'm personally very excited to get over 4k PPW now while I was struggling to get over 2k PPW just last month.

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:28 am

unregistered wrote:
I don't like seeing his name up there as a constant reminder that he now folds for a different team
Ahh, but he is still folding for our team, or at least one-two of his borgs are. There is a possibility that they are no longer accessible to him and will be folding for years to come. Every little bit counts and is appreciated. Plus don't count out the return of Lockheed to #31574.

I look forward to passing him too!
Maybe he's just folding for "that other team" until he drops down in the rankings far enough that folding for us would be fun again. If that's true, the quicker we can get him down there, the quicker he will be back. :twisted:

David

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:30 am

mas92264 wrote:Dear Mom:

Send more Tinkers!

M
Dear Dad:

Send more Double Gromacs!

D

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:31 am

ColdFlame wrote:Actually even for people who folded for some time already and have peaked their hardware/budget it is very pleasing to extract 4k PPW of "2k PPW worth" hardware. I'm personally very excited to get over 4k PPW now while I was struggling to get over 2k PPW just last month.
Agreed. Stevo has been privately taunting me to be red, and now I can be, without doing a damn thing! :lol:

David

unregistered

Post by unregistered » Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:16 pm

Stevo has been privately taunting me to be red, and now I can be, without doing a damn thing!
I think Jason may be adjusting the color/points. Rumor has it, he is waiting to see how many PPD/PPW haysdb scores under the new points system, and make the red about 150-200 PPD higher! :lol:

isp

Post by isp » Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:23 pm

lol he would be fit to be tied... :lol:

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:40 pm

unregistered wrote:I think Jason may be adjusting the color/points. Rumor has it, he is waiting to see how many PPD/PPW haysdb scores under the new points system, and make the red about 150-200 PPD higher! :lol:
I have asked him nicely to not change the points until AFTER I am red for a couple of days. :lol:

Seriously, I think an adjustment of the points thresholds will be in order. I was doing a bit over 900 PPD before the new points system, but according to LogStats I am now doing over 2000*! Once everyone has about a week of the new points under their belt, I would expect the points cutoffs to be changed. No official word from Jason on the subject however.

David

* Of course, FAH LogStats PPD/PPW numbers are "point in time" numbers, not a long-term average. Therefore they are always "optimistic".

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:59 pm

ColdFlame wrote:Actually even for people who folded for some time already and have peaked their hardware/budget it is very pleasing to extract 4k PPW of "2k PPW worth" hardware. I'm personally very excited to get over 4k PPW now while I was struggling to get over 2k PPW just last month.
Hmm... I'm actually annoyed by it. Feels like an empty accomplishment, because it is. Mostly just inflation from what I see.

Though it might be interesting to watch if the PPD drops when the current batch of DGros wear out.

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:42 pm

I think I am going to be "red" after the next update at EOC. I stand at 1180 for a 24 hour average already. It will depend on how many points I uploaded between 21:00 and 24:00 tonight, versus what I updoaded during that time 7 days ago.

This is a 20% increase in my 24-hour average in just 3 days. Looks like my points could end up 50% or even 60% higher than before the points change. I wish they had not gone this far. My brain is still calibrated to the old points system, and it's going to take some time to adjust to the new "currency".

David