Earl Pitts asks: What makes you angry?

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Earl Pitts asks: What makes you angry?

Post by haysdb » Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:02 am

[Moderators note: Please keep this thread folding related!]

Here is an example of something that makes me angry. A person who doesn't have a CLUE as to what Folding@Home is about. A person who is in it ONLY for the points, and doesn't give a DAMN about the project itself.

Read it and weep.

David

mas92264
Patron of SPCR

Post by mas92264 » Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:42 am

I can admit to being somwhat annoyed by Tinkers before the points got adjusted. However, I never deleted one and crunched on, knowing that they would soon be behind me and it was just part of the deal. Tinkers had to be processed too and everyone gets them, sooner or later.

This guy has issues. In the grand scheme of things, what difference does it actually make if the points were adjusted pre or post? None, really.

Criticising Dr. Pande about this was way over the top.

M

Edited for spelling

isp

Post by isp » Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:06 pm

I hate when the electricity goes out, and I have to do damage control... :(

PaleMelanesian

Post by PaleMelanesian » Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:10 pm

I hate it when summer comes and my computer gets too hot. I've lost about 12 hours total this last week due to several lockups. I've had to fix it by backing off my overclock, which also reduces productivity.

sonofdbn

Post by sonofdbn » Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:56 am

I hate how obsessive this folding is making me (actually I think haysdb should take a LOT of the blame).
I hate missing the deadline on a unit because I messed up my proxy server and a PC spent a week trying to upload.
I hate typing a reply and not being able to find the title of the topic on the page.
I hate typing the above and then realising that the topic can be found in (small letters) under Post Subject on the threadstarter's first post.

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:15 pm

I haven't been able to bring myself to go back to the thread at folding-community.org I linked to in my original post. After the first guy, someone ELSE came along that ticked me off, and I "shared my opinion with him." I can imagine he wasn't in complete agreement with my point of view, and it probably turned into a flame war. I had my say, and I suppose he deserves his, no matter how wrong-headed it is. :roll:

Would someone with a cooler head care to go take a look and tell me how badly I got flamed? Maybe report back with the "score"? Ironically it was Macaholic and myself on the same side. Go figure! :lol:

David

mas92264
Patron of SPCR

Post by mas92264 » Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:29 pm

DH

Uhh, don't go back. It gets worser and worser! Looks like it kinda died down now, tho,

Got some angry folders over there. :shock:

M

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:01 pm

mas92264 wrote:DH

Uhh, don't go back. It gets worser and worser! Looks like it kinda died down now, tho,

Got some angry folders over there. :shock:

M
Too late.

There are few things worse than listening to someone with a big ego and a big education throwing both of them around like a Sumo wrestler with a bad attitude.

David

Macaholic

Post by Macaholic » Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:03 pm

Ironically it was Macaholic and myself on the same side. Go figure!
Yeah, I know! What's up with that?! :wink: It's hard to hold your tongue sometimes. Do you think I let him off too easy David? I am an 'apple-polisher' you know! :lol: Keep on folding on!

sbabb
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sbabb » Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:04 pm

I'm glad that you made the distinction between a big education and big intelligence, David. He appears educated beyond his ability to comprehend. I just took a shot at helping him with that. Fairly gently, even :roll:

Scott

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:31 pm

Macaholic wrote:
Ironically it was Macaholic and myself on the same side. Go figure!
Yeah, I know! What's up with that?! :wink: It's hard to hold your tongue sometimes. Do you think I let him off too easy David? I am an 'apple-polisher' you know! :lol: Keep on folding on!
I admit, there was some minor satisfaction is seeing you get your comeuppance... :D
BTW, "saccharine" is already an adjective - the '-inic' is unnecessary and redundant; 'saccharinic' is not really a word. Either way it should mean 'excessively sweet' - making it an odd word choice, as you used it. I think you want some *other* big word there, meaning 'bitter'.
but I don't care for people who puff themselves up and attempt to intimidate others in the way he did.
Oh, Puhleese! Is there an avatar with a browner nose, for you?
You sure set yourself up for this one, my little apple-polisher;
I doubt few folders *really* do "understand the project and its merits," and from your tone (and post) I seriously doubt that you are among them, despite your obvious implication that you are among some 'elite' here.
I see a few others have been brave enough to actually express their honest displeasure amongst so many apologists.
I reserve actual loathing for folks who, from the safety of your little perch in the safety of the larger mob, opportunistically take your little pot-shots. Your efforts, however pointless, to try to impress other forum regulars with what a big [..whatever..] you are, amount to little more than a shrill and pathetic "me-too!
Was he talking about US? :shock:

Apologists? Shrill and pathetic? :evil:

David

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:34 pm

sbabb wrote:I'm glad that you made the distinction between a big education and big intelligence, David. He appears educated beyond his ability to comprehend. I just took a shot at helping him with that. Fairly gently, even :roll:

Scott
I read your post. Very well done Scott.

David

Macaholic

Post by Macaholic » Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:59 pm

I admit, there was some minor satisfaction is seeing you get your comeuppance...
I knew you would find it amusing. :lol: But, I let the whole thing go because I did not want to spend the time and 'ammunition' on degrading the thread any further. I just wanted to give an apology and let the thread move back on topic. As my friend Pumbaa always says, 'You've got to put your behind in the past'. :lol: And, for the record.
Definition:

\Sac"cha*rin"ic\, a. (Chem.)
Of, pertaining to, or derived from, saccharin; specifically,
designating a complex acid not known in the free state but
well known in its salts, which are obtained by boiling
dextrose and levulose (invert sugar) with milk of lime.
For example:
Lelouch follows their relationship and its consequences, lacing the cocktail of comedy and romance with a measure of tragedy to ensure there's no saccharine aftertaste.
Was he talking about US?
Probably directing his verbiage and hostility at me. Although if you want to take some of the heat, you can. :wink: Remember, I'm the 'noser'. Keep up the fold!

Dros

Post by Dros » Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:49 pm

I think the funniest thing about "A W F" is that he seems to think Pande is intimately acquainted with the arcane rules of "the competition" aspect of folding. It was unfortunate that he mis-reported that the points would switch over in mid-fold, but that was most likely due to him half-remembering some e-mail from the people in the lab that actually handle that stuff.

I would be disappointed if he was wasting thought cycles on that and not on interpreting all the simulation data. And "A W F" should see what goes on in a real science lab. People waste 3 weeks out of 4, and 3 years out of 5, chasing down wrong paths and getting delicare technical details worked out. He is all bent out of shape over 2 days of reduced point Tinkers? Hilarious. :roll:

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:14 pm

Dros, not only that, but Vijay's post was almost immediately followed up with TWO posts from people sincerely questioning whether what Vijay had just said was correct, because it was contrary to their personal experience.

What gets me the most is, it was at least IMPLIED that he would not have completed those work units if they had not been worth the new points. He goes on to say I must have gotten him confused with "the other guy" who mentioned deleting WU's, but if he wasn't going to DO them, what WAS he going to do with them? He's ranting at Dr. Pande for "decieving" him, but hiding from the fact that he's simpy deleting work units he doesn't want! Pure chutzpah!

David

Macaholic

Post by Macaholic » Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:58 am

Looks as if I should have unloaded on the SOB! I thought I would give him the benefit of the doubt and things would calm down. Looks like I was wrong! His inflammatory rhetoric continues unabated! Maybe we need to get Susan Pouter to 'stop the insanity'! :lol: Sheer lunacy! Oh well, time to get back to folding. Fold on!

AZBrandon
Friend of SPCR

Post by AZBrandon » Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:41 am

What a bunch of weirdos over there. Maybe they'd like to meet a friend of mine. She's a cute, energetic, 22 year old girl diagnosed with lupus; a currently incurable disease. Kinda puts it all in perspective when you meet someone so fresh and young who might live to be 70, but might die at 30 if things go badly. There is still so little knowledge about what makes it work. I'd like to think that the folding project can help expand the knowledge that makes diseases like that curable, or at least better understood.

mas92264
Patron of SPCR

Post by mas92264 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:15 am

Nah, that guy's just being a brat. He thought he would gripe about a few missed points and everyone would rush to comfort him in his time of grief and adjust his score because of the supreme sacrifice that he's made for the folding effort. He deserves it. :wink:

Thankfully, the thread is now locked.

M

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:35 pm

Here's a new one. What makes me angry is getting flamed, for no good reason. Why do people do that? Pisses me off, it does.

This wasn't exactly a flame but I made a post over at EOC, two posts actually, because I decided I had forgotten to add something to my original post, and one of the MODERATORS responded "There is in an edit button for a reason..."

I didn't know what he was talking about (since he didn't tell me it was the consecutive posts he was bitching about), so I'm running my post through the spell checker, double-checking my grammer, and double-checking the points cutoffs, and I can't figure out what the hell he's taking a piss about, so I have to ask.

So what's making me laugh now is that I edited my original post to include the second post, then deleted my other posts, so now all there is in the thread is my single post and TWO replies by the moderator:

There is an edit button for a reason...

Consecutive posts...

:lol:

David

mas92264
Patron of SPCR

Post by mas92264 » Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:14 pm

Picky, picky. Sometimes, rather than edit a previous post, I'll add a 2nd post of "oh, btw" instead of editing the previous post. It just seems to make more sense, sometimes, than to go back and re-write what you already wrote.

In conversation, rarely do you say, "forget the last thing I said; what I should have said was "xyz," as, if you do, you sound kinda stupid.

Nearly all of this is conversation with the xxxxxxxx occasional report on whatever (pause to check sp of xxxxxxxxx occasional.) What's even more humorous is the mod reading your stuff practically as you write it. Must be pretty bored over at eoc forums. :)

M

Edit: Problem between brain and keyboard. :oops:
Last edited by mas92264 on Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:26 pm

mas, is that truly the correct spelling of occasional. ;)

The irony is, I had already edited the post about 5 times, as is my anal retentive nature.

David

mas92264
Patron of SPCR

Post by mas92264 » Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:34 pm

Those big words can be tough for a country boy.

M