How do I show up under team stats?

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Copper
*Lifetime Patron*

How do I show up under team stats?

Post by Copper » Sun May 09, 2004 4:54 pm

I've been using F@H for a few days now but when I look up our team's stats at EOC I'm not seeing my user name. The name is Copper, same as my board name here. When the console starts on my computer it displays "User name: Copper (team 31574)", yet my user name isn't coming up on the stats.

NeilBlanchard

Re: How do I show up under team stats?

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun May 09, 2004 5:34 pm

Hi Copper:

Welcome to SPRC Folds!!
Copper wrote:I've been using F@H for a few days now but when I look up our team's stats at EOC I'm not seeing my user name. The name is Copper, same as my board name here. When the console starts on my computer it displays "User name: Copper (team 31574)", yet my user name isn't coming up on the stats.
If you have not yet completed a work unit, then you won't show up on the stats yet. It is also very possible that if you have completed a work unit, that the server was unable to receive the results. So, have patience -- I know that the first protein is the hardest to wait for to show up, but it will and hopefully many more will follow. :wink:

isp

Post by isp » Sun May 09, 2004 5:48 pm

Welcome Copper! :D

Hope to see you on there soon!

Copper
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Copper » Sun May 09, 2004 6:02 pm

Thanks guys. I just finished my first one today. I'm working on a Gromac now. The first, a tinker, had 400 frames that took about 11:20 each. That's about ~75 hours to complete. The Gromac has 100 steps taking about 8:30 each. That's only ~14 hours to complete. Huge difference!

So do these things come in different sizes or is the difference just between tinker and gromac?

NeilBlanchard

all different sizes!

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun May 09, 2004 6:20 pm

Hello:
Copper wrote:So do these things come in different sizes or is the difference just between tinker and gromac?
They come in all sizes and shapes! If you are using the command line client, and have an Athlon, then you can use the -forceSSE flag to get better speeds out of the Gromacs, and if you have a Pentium, then you might put the -advmethods flag to "ask" for just Gromacs (though you may still get some Tinkers). They recently bumped up the points they credit for Tinkers, so they should be a lot more balanced as far as points per day, but yes, you will see a big variation between the units. Ya gotta' take the good with the bad, since it all is useful to the folks at Stanford -- and maybe someday for many other folks, too!

Copper -- you're there! :Dhttp://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... s=&u=85410 236 points! Not too shabby for 75 hours! :wink:

Copper
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Copper » Sun May 09, 2004 6:55 pm

There we go!!! :)

mas92264
Patron of SPCR

Post by mas92264 » Mon May 10, 2004 5:17 am

Copper,

As Neil mentioned, use the -forcesse flag on amd folders (this is a must) and use -advmethods on both intel and amd to minimize Tinkeritis.

Intel cpu's suck at folding Tinkers and while the 238 point Tinkers are ok as far as production, the others generally are awful or nearly so.

Have fun folding! :)

M

Copper
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Copper » Mon May 10, 2004 5:47 am

I have a P4 and I'm using the -advmethods flag as well as the -forceasm flag. Should I be using the last one?

I knocked out the Gromac last night. I now have a Double Gromac. It's going to take about the same amount of time as the Gromac. 100 steps @ about 8.5 minutes per step. I'm running at 1.5ghz.

mas92264
Patron of SPCR

Post by mas92264 » Mon May 10, 2004 10:24 am

Copper wrote:I have a P4 and I'm using the -advmethods flag as well as the -forceasm flag. Should I be using the last one?

I knocked out the Gromac last night. I now have a Double Gromac. It's going to take about the same amount of time as the Gromac. 100 steps @ about 8.5 minutes per step. I'm running at 1.5ghz.
Yep, -forceasm is fine. Not sure how much difference it makes, if any. The current thinking is that -forceasm is fine for Intel boxes.

Dgromac's are the preferred wu's! Seem to produce, by far, the most points per unit of time.

M

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Mon May 10, 2004 11:01 am

-forceasm isn't precisely an "optimization" on Intel boxes since they will use "assembly language optimizations" by default. However, after encountering "simulation instability," the client may revert to using "standard loops". -forceasm ensures that "Assembly optimizations" are always used.

David

Copper
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Copper » Mon May 10, 2004 12:44 pm

Thanks guys.

mas92264
Patron of SPCR

Post by mas92264 » Mon May 10, 2004 3:39 pm

haysdb wrote:-forceasm isn't precisely an "optimization" on Intel boxes since they will use "assembly language optimizations" by default. However, after encountering "simulation instability," the client may revert to using "standard loops". -forceasm ensures that "Assembly optimizations" are always used.

David
Seems that I saw somewhere that -forceasm was not recommended for AMD folders in conjuntion with -advmethods. Or something.

Oui ou non?

M

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Mon May 10, 2004 7:37 pm

mas92264 wrote:Seems that I saw somewhere that -forceasm was not recommended for AMD folders in conjuntion with -advmethods. Or something.
Correct. It's redundant. Use -forcesse for AMD, -forceasm for Intel.

David