2 at a time

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

TheDarkHacker

2 at a time

Post by TheDarkHacker » Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:29 pm

I have a pentium 4 with hyperthreading turned on and i was wondering if it is possible to run 2 things of folding at a time to max out my cpu because now it juast goes to 50%

mas92264
Patron of SPCR

Post by mas92264 » Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:16 pm

Can do. You're really not only using 50%, that's just the way Tsk Mgr or whatever you're looking at displays the 2 "threads." If you were to turn ht off in the bios, you'd see then that you're using 100% of the cpu, but your frame times are the same. :)

The 2nd instatnce must be the console version. DL it and go here. Scroll down about 1/2 way.

Give a shout if you've got problems!

M

TheDarkHacker

Post by TheDarkHacker » Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:23 pm

I dont understand about flags and stuff

trodas

Post by trodas » Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:50 am

Don't worry aobut them much, they have mostly minimal impact :wink:

And yes, on HT P4 is recommended to run at least two F@H instances :wink: You will find all infos in the sticky treads up there :wink:

Quite shortly, you can have only one graphical inerface, the second one will be the cli-only version, with will run as service - there are simple service installers with GUI and comfortable to use, no worries. Just pick the first link and follow it :wink: Easy :P

shathal

Post by shathal » Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:10 am

TheDarkHacker, you'll need to download the Console version of F@H to run the second instance.

Here's what you need to do (let us know if any of this command-line stuff is over your head).

1 - Download the console exec and put it into a directory (in my case, for instance, it's c:\program files\FAH2\
2 - START -> RUN -> CMD
(I am assuming you're running XP, right?)

Now, onto the DOS commands...

Code: Select all

3 - cd progra*
4 - cd fah2
<this gets you into the right directory>

5 - fah4console -local -configonly
<So you can configure your MACHINE ID, and other stuff. MACHINE ID is necessary, as you're going to be running 2 instances. Think of it as "CPU Count", and you get the idea>

6 - Make sure that you say "YES" to the part about accepting www-browser's internet settings, and then "YES" for advanced options - this is where you set the MACHINE ID.

7 - Set the machine ID to 2.

8 - Open NOTEPAD and enter the following command line into it.

Code: Select all

fah4console -local -advmethods -forceasm
9 - Save the file as <yourname>.BAT *IN* the FAH2-directory. In my case, it's called FAH2.BAT - makes it easy ;).

10 - copy a shortcut to the BAT-file either to your desktop, your STARTUP group or whatever method you prefer.

And you're done ... :).

You can use the above steps for any number of CPU's, so if you've got the GUI console, you can stop it and instead configure two console-instances.

I hope I've made this pretty simple :).

mas92264
Patron of SPCR

Post by mas92264 » Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:36 am

It's funny how there's usually eleventeen different ways of doing things. :)

I like the idea of a batch file as you could just copy the file from machine to machine and not have to mess around as much getting things set up. I stopped doing the -configonly thing as it's really not necessary and you have to waste all that time going back and editing it out. :)

Also, I'm pretty sure that -forceasm and -advmethods are sorta redundant on an Intel folder. Probably doesn't hurt, tho. On mine, I'm currently just doing "-local -advmethods -verbosity 9."

M