A Prime95 heads up

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Copper
*Lifetime Patron*

A Prime95 heads up

Post by Copper » Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:26 pm

Prime95 stable doesn't necessarily mean F@H stable. I have a couple new processors that I've been undervolting and even though it ran Prime95 for 36 hours without an error it choked on a Gromac on the first frame. Same thing happened with the other processor. Prime95 stable for 24 hours but also choked on the first frame. You'll notice two zero point work units in my EOC stats. :(

So if you're testing with Prime95 it's a good idea to watch closely how your first WU goes before you run F@H as a service and forget about it. I had to up the voltage above what Prime95 will run stable in order to get the Gromacs to run without errors.

mas92264
Patron of SPCR

Post by mas92264 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:55 pm

I've had pretty good experience with P95 for testing oc'd folders, although it's no guarantee as you point out. Yesterday, one of my open air amd folders was ditching wu's when they were 1/2 done :( - a few days after I changed the psu. So, back to the old psu (full of dust) and seems to be ok. This is a 2600+ running at 2150 with no vcore lift.

I did seem to have some probs with an overheating passive nb on this same board (Shuttle AK39N,) but solved that with a fan blowing on it. It was happy as a clam in the sand during the winter but began misbehaving when the weather warmed up.

M

Copper
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Copper » Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:24 pm

This is the first time that I have run into a problem. My 3.0C never choked on a Gromac, both undervolted @ 3.0ghz and 1.5ghz - where I first started folding. Both were Prime95 stable and not a hair more. My shuttle allows .0125 Vcore adjustments.

The good news is I have my new CPU, a 3.06, OC'ed to 3.4 with a slight undervolt of 1.5. When my Kill-A-Watt arrives I'll pass along some wattage figures. Should be here this week.

kogi

Post by kogi » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:01 pm

Also, even if it is stable with gromacs, it may still choke midway on large tinkers.

kogi

Copper
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Copper » Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:47 am

kogi wrote:Also, even if it is stable with gromacs, it may still choke midway on large tinkers.
Speak of the devil!!

I checked my logstats this morning to find that a Tinker had not budged since I started it last night. It completed maybe three or four frames and just sat there. Task manager showed it as running and consuming cpu cycles yet no progress was being made. I presume it was frozen.

So now I have a slight overvolt 1.55 to hopefully cure the problem. I'll check when I get home tonight.

mas92264
Patron of SPCR

Post by mas92264 » Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:34 pm

Just adding my experience. Never had that problem with a Tinker; they just get dumped (rarely) and pickup a new one. :? Two of my my AMD folders cause 99% of the problems and almost always it's a corrupted wu. They will dump them and start another over and over 'til I get it fixed. Too much oc, overheating cpu or nb seem to be the usual suspects.

So, stopping in mid wu and locking up is unusual for me, although I think that others have had this happen? I did have one folder that was hung up a couple of days ago and was trying to dl a new core but thought the new core was corrupted. I ended up deleting fahcore_**.exe and it was then fine with the new files. Go figure.

M