Sempron and Folding ?

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

WoodsBoy

Sempron and Folding ?

Post by WoodsBoy » Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:24 pm

Anyone got any idea how well the Semprons will be for folding?
Is folding basically dependent on Ghz or does the cache play a part?

Going to build the oldest daughter a new PC. Only be used for internet, chatting, IM, etc. Thinking of a MicroATX with everything intergrated, tiny case, and a 2800+ Sempron. That is if the Sempron is a good folder.

Now that I think of it, it's funny that I'm even considering folding performance as a spec for the new PC :D

Oh well...any comments, suggestions, or snide remarks appreciated.

rbsteffes

Post by rbsteffes » Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:11 pm

Snide remark: Sempron's are the new Duron and Celeron. Big companies will buy them because saving $10 per chip adds up. Why would YOU want one? There is a significant performance hit to use a Sempron, which your daughter may or may not care about, but folding will sure notice.

Don't confuse the gigahertz number with performance. Sempron's compare to Celerons while Athlons compare to P4. Save money almost any place else!

Blappo

Post by Blappo » Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:20 pm

Spend a few more dollars for a Sempron 3100+. It is a cut down Athlon64 (it can't run 64-bit apps, and has half the cache), compared to the 2800+ which is a cut down AthlonXP model. There is only a $7 difference on newegg for the OEM version, but there is a fair bit of a performance difference (200Mhz higher, 400Mhz FSB vs 333Mhz FSB, integrated memory controller).

Unfortunately motherboards might cost a bit more :(

ddrueding1

Post by ddrueding1 » Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:41 pm

If you're worried about folding, why not drop some more pure CPU horsepower into the machine? Ive built a number of low-end machines that are low-end in every respect but CPU.

Don't know why I'm telling you this, considering I'm folding for another team

unregistered

Post by unregistered » Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:15 am

I have a mobile XP in a mATX board/box that runs very cool (important in summer) and quiet. They are more energy efficient and very overclockable. I wish all my CPU's were Mobiles.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.a ... rty&DEPA=1

glisoni

Post by glisoni » Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:15 am

Semprons are T'breds (except 3100+ which is A64 core). So, check the actual clock speed of the sempron, since their PR ratings are a bit bigger than those of TBreds. Other than that, they are equal to them. there is no performance difference to TBred. PR rating is soposed to messure to Celeron D I guess.
So, folding with Sempron will be equal to Tbred performance wise, at the same clock (not the same PR rating).

Edit: Sempron 3000+ is barton core, so 512 kb cache, 2 GHz, all other are tbred core, 256 kb cache; all are 333 fsb.
Last edited by glisoni on Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WoodsBoy

Post by WoodsBoy » Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:48 am

Thanks for all the replies !

Just to be clear.

Is folding solely dependent on speed or does cache size matter?