Duron Spitfire folding

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

DyJohnnY

Duron Spitfire folding

Post by DyJohnnY » Sun Nov 28, 2004 2:46 am

1. very new to folding, first WU.
Problem with my CPU is that is doesn't have SSE, so "i can't use" gromacs and dgromacs, i don't really care about points in folding, but as i understood it gromacs are for ppl that have sse on their CPU's, thing is i just reveived a gromac core to fold, at least that's what i read in the client, so i was wondering... since no one wants tinkers, is there a parameter so i can get only tinkers?
also if i fold a gromac it will take longer to fold right? are tinkers a more efficient way to spend CPU cycles?

unregistered

Post by unregistered » Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:00 am

I'm not sure what processor the "spitfire" is. There are tags that can be added to some AMDs.

What OS are you running, and which version of the folding@home client are you running? For instance, I am running the windows version 5.02 with XP.

DyJohnnY

Post by DyJohnnY » Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:33 am

ok, spitfire among the first of the durons, it's on .18 microns technology. originally it's marked as duron 700 Mhz but my Mobo is bad and it crashes in 3d aplication with 100Mhz bus so now it's underclocked at 95x7 and undervolted at 1,47.

running it at startup under windows Xp SP2

I think it's the 5.02 version, got it 2 days ago from the oficial website.

Putz

Post by Putz » Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:17 am

With your non-SSE CPU (especially AMD), you will notice that the Tinkers bring in points at a much, much higher rate. However, it is impoosible to specificallly request Tinkers. All you can do is not ask for Gromacs, AFAIK. Disable the "large WU" option in the client, and don't request "advanced" WU's. (Although I think the latter option might have been removed in the v5 client.) Other than that, just cross your fingers.

If you have a slow machine, you might notice a benefit from installing the CLI (command-line) version of the client as a service, which is easy to do with v5. You won't get pretty pictures, but it should fold a bit faster and use a bit less memory.

Good to have you aboard! Happy Folding!

DyJohnnY

Post by DyJohnnY » Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:38 am

I like CLI stuff, i'm using the CLI version, and i don't know how to configure it, since i'm past the first run phase.
so how do i NOT ask for gromacs, not request large WU's?
as for the service thing, i installed it as a service and i can't see anything, that dos shell doesn't appear anymore. Now i'm using as running at startup, and i wish they would make an option so that it can minimize to the systray :(

unregistered

Post by unregistered » Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:53 am

Assuming that you are running v. 5.xx client under windows;

Right click your floding Icon in the taskbar, configure,chose the advanced tab, at the bottom use the dropdown menu and chose "Deadlineless".

I think you will end up with mostly tinkers and all smaller WU's with this setting.

DyJohnnY

Post by DyJohnnY » Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:33 am

u must be refering to the graphical version, anyway i figured it out, thnx for pointing me to the right options, now i configured it right :)
c ya on the folding side :D

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:47 am

Welcome to the Fold/Addiction !!! ... :wink: .... 8)

Pete

DyJohnnY

Post by DyJohnnY » Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:00 am

thnx, i also have a pentium 166MMX, might consider puting him to fold, since it runs 24/7 as a server :)