Nothing Works :-)

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jonathangallant

Nothing Works :-)

Post by jonathangallant » Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:19 am

Heh, so, I feel quite stupid having read the Folding@home site, the install info, the forum there, the FAQ and the SPCR forum here. I regret to say that I have (almost) nothing working.
I run Debian Linux 2.6.10
I downloaded Folding@Home Client Version 5.02 for Linux
I run the executable and enter the SPCR team number and I see:
[17:51:56] Completed 0 out of 2000000 steps (0%)
[18:05:20] Writing local files
[18:05:20] Completed 20000 out of 2000000 steps (1%)
[18:06:49] Writing checkpoint files

So I think its working but I notice on gkrellm that the CPU usage is now at 99%, and my CPU temperature is at 68 degrees, unless i bump the CPU fan back to 12V (usually runs at 5V). However the monitor shows purple not green, so I can assume that these are the unused cycles which are now being used.

:?: Does this mean my computer runs at 99% all the time? even when I'm idling?

I understand this doesn't take resourcs away from my computer, but I didn't know folding will use all resources which are not being used.

I then install gkrellfah, which kills gkrellm everytime I try to use the plugin "seg fault: Sensors {create_monitor}"

Then I wanted to see my stats with a nifty cool signature like everyone else, but it seems I am not on the SPCR team. I've googled for the gkrellfah problem and found one link which is dead. I'm sure eventually either with somone's help or a bit more searching on my own I can fix the gkrellm problem.

:?: However, are folders silencing their computers for when its running at 99%? This seems suprising to me.

kma
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by kma » Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:27 am

jonathangallant wrote: :?: Does this mean my computer runs at 99% all the time? even when I'm idling?
The whole point of folding is to do something useful with the cpu-cycles instead of just idling. So, yes, your computer will always run at 99%, since you are not idling anymore. If your computer gets to hot, you can set the folding to use a max of say 70% of the cpu somewhere in the advanced folding settings. Then you will idle 30% if you don't do anything else...
But I would consider getting some better (silent) cooling... after all it gets even hotter when you play your favourite game a couple of hours.
jonathangallant wrote:Then I wanted to see my stats with a nifty cool signature like everyone else, but it seems I am not on the SPCR team. I've googled for the gkrellfah problem and found one link which is dead. I'm sure eventually either with somone's help or a bit more searching on my own I can fix the gkrellm problem.
Your stats will not appear until some day (hours?) after you completed your first work unit (WU).. mine didn't. And it can take quite some time, I'm working on some 600point gromacs protein (p1140) that needs 100hours folding on my computer.
jonathangallant wrote::?: However, are folders silencing their computers for when its running at 99%? This seems suprising to me.
I think, when people have silenced thier noisy computer and now have it on 24/7 they want it to do something useful besides generating heat.
After all, the computer is nothing but a noisy, inefficient electrical radiator if you don't use it to run some programs.

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:48 am

I'm not familiar with a Linux setup - yet :) but, there should be a line in the config file that says how much of idle cycles the FAH process should use.

And yes, my computers are silenced to run that way 24/7/100% load :)

jonathangallant

Everything works :-)

Post by jonathangallant » Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:33 pm

As I reflect on it, it does seem to make more and more sense. Computer resources are hardly ever used at 100%. Plus if it really is the equivalent of leaving a light bulb on in the interest of curing terminal diseases....well I'm just glad I've stumbled on it.

My new heatsink and PSU should arrive soon, and I'm hoping they will allow me to sleep with the computer on. I don't need it silent, but very quiet will do.

The Gkrellfah problem seems fixed. The only difference is I ran the plugin while folding, as opposed to running the plugin, and then folding. I'll see if I can get other people I know to fold with SPCR too. Thanks for the advice...its my first day.

unregistered

Post by unregistered » Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:56 pm

My new heatsink and PSU should arrive soon
That is great, I hope you have a larger fan to replace that little whinny 60 mm HSF. There are NO quiet 60mm fans.

What kind of Heat Sink did you order?

Image To SPCR Folding Team

jonathangallant

Post by jonathangallant » Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:07 pm

I got the Zalman 7000B Al/Cu which I am told has a very quiet fan on it. I figure if I combine that with an undervolted Panaflo case fan, and a quiet PSU (Super Tornado) and I should be well on the way to a quieter cooler computer. I am also thinking of underclocking and undervolting the CPU when I replace the heatink. Never done that before, but it seems like a very worthwhile endeavor from what I've read.

Thanks for the welcome. I'm currently 20% done my first unit, and hopefully I'll get my stats up soon.

AndyP

Post by AndyP » Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:12 pm

Good luck with your folding :-)

Couple of tips:

1) If your not overclocking your XP have a look at the undervolting articles on this site. If your motherboard supports this your likely to be able to reduce your cpu voltage perhaps down to 1.2V if your lucky. This will significantly reduce your temp output. However if you overdo it, you can make your computer unstable and folding won't work so be careful. You might want to try StressCPU from http://www.gromacs.org/contributions/ to test your installation if you take this route

2) Aim to improve your cpu cooling - generally a bigger heatsink with a bigger fan (that runs slower) is the way to go. There is lots of advice and ideas here so take your time before you make your mind up

3) In the meantime I would consider reducing the amount of CPU allocated to folding. There should be a config file in your f@h folder with something like

[core]
cpuusage=100

Perhaps run this at 60 for now

Generally folders here who are running their machines 24/7 at 100% and have their machines running quietly have put quite alot of effort into configuring and quieting their machines, which can be very satisfying. Your at the start of this, if you want to go down this road your definitely starting from a good place ...

AndyP

AndyP

Post by AndyP » Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:16 pm

Seems you know exactly what to do :lol:

All best

Andy

jonathangallant

Post by jonathangallant » Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:36 pm

Thanks :). I have a ways to go, but I'm quite excited about it. For now I think I'll run 100%. My damn PSU is so loud it doesn't make a difference anyway. I did find the place to turn it down though. Currently I'm running my CPU at 52C, so I'm well within my limits.
Underclocking seems very cool, but I'm a bit scared about screwing up my CPU. I do plan on getting an AMD 64, but still, frying my current CPU is not a pleasant prospect. Calm, cool, and quiet users make for cool 'n quiet PCs I guess.

I read a thread over at an overclockers forum about a guy who wanted to try watercooling. Watercooling seems to be very popular with the overclocking crowd and this guy wanted to follow suit. I don't know if he was making it up, but he claims that he sealed his computer case with silicon...and then filled his computer with water. :lol: He was even mystified when his computer wouldn't turn on. Guess he should've started here too, :wink: , they would've been a lot friendlier to him here than they were there. Needless to say after his experiment he was not calm, he was not quiet....but his computer was definitely much cooler. :D

JanW

Re: Nothing Works :-)

Post by JanW » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:58 am

jonathangallant wrote:Then I wanted to see my stats with a nifty cool signature like everyone else, but it seems I am not on the SPCR team.
The LiquidNinjas sig's are broken right now. :(

As for setting up F@H on Linux, I used finstall to install F@H as a service. It's really convenient. Takes care of starting and stopping it when you boot/shut down your machine. Just install it once and there's no need to touch it again (unless you want to tweak options later on, of course). I have never tried the grellm f@h plugin, so I can't compare --- maybe that works just as well. FWIW, I use fpd to monitor F@H progress. finstall offers the option to download and install this prog.
jonathangallant wrote:However, are folders silencing their computers for when its running at 99%?
That's the challange. I've managed to make one of my systems to be very quiet since yesterday (from where I sit the CRT monitor is louder, more info with pictures soon), and this night I lost my first WU ever on that system. Now I went back to stock speeds (was OC'ed by 13%) and I'll see how it goes. (I'm using a Zalman 7000A Al/Cu and a SuperTornado, btw :wink: both modded with low-aiflow fans, though)