Dumped XP for Win98

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

fastturtle

Dumped XP for Win98

Post by fastturtle » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:35 pm

Ended up catching another buggy Critical XP Update and decided that was the last straw and went back to 98. Thankfully they still have a 98 client but I'll tell you all, Once I upgrade to my Sempron 64, I'm going back to Linux so I don't have to worry about buggy updates screwing my system up.

At least I'm able to contribute, even though it doesn't look at though I'm going to be breaking any records.

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:17 am

Wow. Not likely a choice I'd make. I've taken a couple systems back to Win2K, but not back to '98. Eeesh.

Well, if that's what's needed to make 'em work...

fastturtle

Post by fastturtle » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:33 am

Well the Win2K option was out as I don't have a copy since My upgrade path looks like this:
WFW 3.11
Win95a/b/c
Win98
XP

Never saw a reason to purchase a copy of 2K and although it offers many of the features of XP it's now subjected to WGA if you want any of the later updates. :(

The other thing is that other then my USB flash drive not working, all of my software does run under 98 since I haven't seen any reason to purchase Xp/2K only software as yet. :lol:

Also Win98 is a temporary solution to the entire Microsoft Problem that will be permanently settled once I get a printer that's well supported under Linux because at that point, I'm going back to using Linux. :wink:

As far any new computers go, I build my own anyhow and this doesn't change any of my hardware decisions because I've always built with Linux Compatibility in mind. Instead all this does is ensure I will spend a little bit more on my next computer build in regards to the hardware while saving the cost of XP/Vista. In other words, the cost of Windows is going to be spread out on a better grade of hardware that wont need upgrading as quickly or as often as under Windows. :twisted:

trodas

Post by trodas » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:20 pm

Your point is valid, however it also means less folding and that is BAD :oops: :wink:

I never felt the need to update and I disabled always the service, so, not a problem with updated even under XP there, but I did not like XP at all, so I use my W2k SP2 (!) - yep, modified - and happily on my Opty :twisted:

Linux add only too much problems as well, as Vista. So fick them both :lol: