Could not connect to work server

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Cams
Friend of SPCR

Could not connect to work server

Post by Cams » Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:31 pm

My main folding machine started giving me this message a few days ago. I now have at least 3 completed work units to upload and it's not working.

A picture speaks a thousand words, so here is a screenshot of my folding window:

Can anyone help?

unregistered

Post by unregistered » Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:46 pm

Sometimes they have server problems. Wait till monday and it will probrably clear up. You will be having a big point day.

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/serverstat.html

Lord_Anubis

Post by Lord_Anubis » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:08 am

I have had this problem off & on so I did a little search and found 2 possible fixes, I have only ever had to used the first solution so I don't know if the 2nd works or not. Remember to backup the "WORK" folder so if something goes wrong you still have all the work you have done.

Solution #1:

Will need: Qfix here http://linuxminded.xs4all.nl/mirror/www ... .html#qfix

Check your Work folder, if you still see a "wuresults_XX.DAT" file then put the program "Qfix" in the Work folder and run it (it will pop up then disapear that's normal)....then restart the client. If all goes well the WU should submit.

Solution #2:

1. Check "Work" folder for a file named "wuresults_XX.DAT" if you see it proceed...(xx will be WU number..."01" for example)
2. Create shortcut to console.exe...
3. add flag "-delete 1" to shortcut
4. Click shortcut and let it run...will say "deleting work unit from que..." then closes
5. Download and put qFix in Folding directory...then run it..(it will pop up then disapear that's normal)
6. Remove "-delete 1" flag from shortcut and double click the shortcut
7. The client should now run and submit the WU...

Good Luck

Edit: have you updated to IE7? If you did you may have to reconfig the system to NOT use IE settings.

Cams
Friend of SPCR

Post by Cams » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:06 am

Thanks so much for the help. I tried the first option and that didn't work, so I tried the second option and, after running the qfix thing, it no longer even flashed up. So I ran it from the command line and it said that the WUs had been submitted. the .dat files are still in my work folder, so I won't know if they actually have been submitted until I get the points. So I'll sit back and wait to see whether I get a points festival or not (there were three WUs waiting to be uploaded).

I'll report back later when I know one way or t'other.

Cams

Cams
Friend of SPCR

Post by Cams » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:43 am

Looks like they didn't go through. I'll see what happens when the WU that's currently being crunched is done (it's at step 69). If that goes through, I'll write off the three lost ones. If not, I'll need to figure it out.

Lord_Anubis

Post by Lord_Anubis » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:06 pm

I'll write off the three lost ones. If not, I'll need to figure it out.
I hope you made a back-up of the work folder, I would hate for someone to lose 3 work units.

Cams
Friend of SPCR

Post by Cams » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:34 am

The latest work unit has finished and the results did not upload successfully. This is a problem. Could it be something to do with my router? I haven't changed anything so don't see how it could be that. On the other hand, as a previous posted suggested, I did installed IE7 and Firefox 2.0, but I'm not sure how far back the folding issue goes (before or after IE7). I have checked my Internet connection settings and there is no connection listed, as was the case before. I have no problem connecting to the internet and my connection is always live (24/7).

Any ideas?

Cams
Friend of SPCR

Post by Cams » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:36 am

I should also have said, that I have another computer on the network, connected through the same modem, and it successfully uploaded a WU today. It has Folding running as a service, whereas the failing one has FAH as a command line window as in the screenshot above.