Join the SPCR Folding@Home effort

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Michael_qrt

Post by Michael_qrt » Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:45 am

Thanks for the welcome. Anyway I'm currently using the -advmethods -forceSSE flags in the CLI console. I'm going to configure it with that electron microscope 3 software to run at startup etc.

Anyway when uni starts again in a few weeks I'll be on an always on connection so that should improve the situation.

At the moment I'm just waiting to get the first work unit in to open my account. I'm working on a WU from project 731 which at least seems to be a low point, relativly fast WU so I'll get my first one in pretty fast.

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Sat Feb 21, 2004 10:32 am

Michael_qrt wrote:can someone tell me how to que up work so my machine always has something to do when not connected?
That's an excellent question Michael. I am not aware of any utilities for queuing Folding@Home (although one may exist), but there is one for Genome@Home, whose points also contribute to the team's score. FAH work units have deadlines, so queuing up work can be dicey, but GAH units do not have deadlines, so is a more appropriate project for machines without permanent Internet connections.

With F@H, you can tell it to ask before connecting, so that you can send and receive results when you are connected, but that will leave your PC idle between connections.

I'm afraid that is about the extent of my knowledge on the subject.

David

unregistered

Post by unregistered » Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:56 pm

With XP pro, I would think that you could set up multiple user accounts with clients installed on each account then download a WU's and stop each of them,switch user, download-stop etc. The only problems is that you would have to manually switch users and restart client WU at or probrably better near the end of finishing the WU. I have been thinking of trying this for future puposes.(notebook purchace before vacation)

This is untested (by me) but might be worth a try if you have XP pro.

Michael_qrt

Post by Michael_qrt » Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:10 pm

Well in any case in a few weeks I'll be on a permanent connection so there isn't too much motivation to fool around. my machine is online most of the day and I generally turn it off at night (still not quiet enough). So I'm going to look into quietening it a bit more over the next few weeks so can leave it on 24/7 once I am on a permanent connection.

Also as haysdb mentioned there is a time limit on work units (though I think I could still que up a few units) So it wouldn't be possible over extended periods of time.

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Sat Feb 21, 2004 10:26 pm

Yes, you could run multiple CLI clients. No need for separate user accounts, just assign each one a separate "Machine ID". Each would run slower, but at least you would have work. Run them with -oneunit so they would stop at the end of a WU. When you connect, fire each one up so it can download a new work unit.

David

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:59 am

Just incase anyone wants to know... on XP Pro, F@H is installed globaly, so switching users wont make any difference.

I just tried it to be sure. :cry:

Think David is going up the right road.

Would it not be like installing on a multi proc or HT machine?

Pete

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:46 pm

peteamer wrote:Just incase anyone wants to know... on XP Pro, F@H is installed globaly, so switching users wont make any difference.
I am embarrassed that I don't know the answer to this, but if F@H is installed in the All Users Startup folder, won't EACH user get an instance of F@H, or will all users run the SAME instance? I think it's the former, and that when user #2 logs on, a second instance of F@H will try to run, but it will recognize that another instance with the same Machine ID is already running and will immediately exit. If the first user then logs off, F@H will stop running, and there will be no instances running, even though user #2 remains logged on.

The advantage of running F@H as a service is that nobody has to be logged on. F@H will start immediately at boot, before anyone logs on, and will remain running when users log off.
Would it not be like installing on a multi proc or HT machine?
Exactly. No difference. There will be a very slight penalty in PPD/PPW for running two or three instances of F@H, but it's not going to be THAT great. However, if your "Performance fraction" goes below .8, you risk getting Tinkers, so it's a balancing act.

davide_casarin

Post by davide_casarin » Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:12 pm

ARM_systems...
I have looked at your production. Can you describe me how you hacked the earth simulator of yokoama to make it fold for SPCR ?

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:20 pm

davide_casarin wrote:ARM_systems...
I have looked at your production. Can you describe me how you hacked the earth simulator of yokoama to make it fold for SPCR ?
:lol:

When you look at the amount of computational power world-wide, participating in the Folding@Home project, it makes even the earth simulator look like a Commodore 64!

Um, speaking of folding for SPCR... hint hint ;)

David

davide_casarin

noisy folding

Post by davide_casarin » Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:02 pm

I just joined the team, but the process makes a ~20Khz noise and if i hadn't killed it after 1 minute then you all would have to quit it and start a new headache@home program to cure me.
Look, the noise is not in the earphones: it comes straight from the mobo.
This board likes to do it, exp. at 100 load. CpuIdle with Athlon C2 cooling does exatcly the same so i have to step back to an ok S2 and that's a pity, the C2 is a freezer.
it's a biostar M7VKB with NB VIA KT133A and SB VIA 686B.
When I have switched it with the asus, will try it again, but by now my spare cycles remain for unnoisy kazaa and CpuIdle.

NullObject

Re: noisy folding

Post by NullObject » Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:18 pm

davide_casarin wrote:I just joined the team, but the process makes a ~20Khz noise and if i hadn't killed it after 1 minute then you all would have to quit it and start a new headache@home program to cure me.
Look, the noise is not in the earphones: it comes straight from the mobo.
This board likes to do it, exp. at 100 load. CpuIdle with Athlon C2 cooling does exatcly the same so i have to step back to an ok S2 and that's a pity, the C2 is a freezer.
it's a biostar M7VKB with NB VIA KT133A and SB VIA 686B.
When I have switched it with the asus, will try it again, but by now my spare cycles remain for unnoisy kazaa and CpuIdle.
Welcome to the fold davide_casarin. :D

Is that noise only when your CPU is at 100% load? If so you could set F@H to use a percentage of the cpu lower than 100%, say 80%. That way you could still fold until you resolve the headache@home issue :lol:

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:23 pm

Yeah, you ain't gettin' off the hook THAT easy dude! :D

I do understand the irony though. You come here to make your computer quiet, then us "Folders" come along and ask you to make things noisy again. :? That's the next challenge for many of us. Making a computer quiet is EASY, so long as it's not DOING anything!

David

roym@arm
-- Vendor --

Post by roym@arm » Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:30 am

To SPCR Members:

We, at ARM, are overwhelmed by your support and acceptance as a team member. :oops: We, too, are glad to be folding with you. :D

Again, thank you from all of us.

RoyM, STEVO, Patrick, Mark, Felix, Judy, Heather, Anita, Cris, Brien, et al.

NOW! Who wants to be bribed for some extra points? :wink: :wink:

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:47 pm

roym@arm wrote:NOW! Who wants to be bribed for some extra points? :wink: :wink:
I'm negotiable, what have you got in mind?

David

BMW

Movin' On Over

Post by BMW » Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:04 pm

I am moving my folding efforts to SPCR!

I was with that team at #1, but I spend so much more time here, that it only felt right to switch.

Right now I am scoring ~1200 points a week, and I have 2 more XP2500's coming in the next week or so. As many have said, it becomes addicting, especially when you NEED an excuse to build another PC.

Current Setup:
P4 2.4B @ 2.57, 2GB PC2100 and FireGL8800 (CAD Workstation)
Silent with SLK-900U and 92mm Panaflo, Coolmax Taurus

Cel 1.3, fanless in Soyo TIS2 (Server)
3700BQE with 120mm Front and Rear Not silent, but lives in a closet.

2400+ Laptop (Emachines 5310) only Folds when we are not home

2500+, M7NCG-400, 9600NP, SLK-900A (HTPC), Coolmax Taurus 300W
This machine lives two lives, Folder ~98% of the time OC to 3200+, and great <20db DVD playback at 100x13.

Upcoming are two more AMD "blades" based on the great research by haysdb, though they will run Windows for the time being. I do not really have the desire or motivation to even dabble in linux at this point.

I should start adding points to SPCR tomorrow.

Brent

roym@arm
-- Vendor --

Post by roym@arm » Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:15 pm

haysdb wrote:
roym@arm wrote:NOW! Who wants to be bribed for some extra points? :wink: :wink:
I'm negotiable, what have you got in mind?

David
Now...SEE! This really proves you guys haven't sold out!... , yet. :lol:

RoyM

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Re: Movin' On Over

Post by haysdb » Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:55 pm

BMW wrote:I am moving my folding efforts to SPCR!

I was with that team at #1, but I spend so much more time here, that it only felt right to switch.
While we don't "recruit" from other teams, we are tickled plumb silly to have you fold with us.
Right now I am scoring ~1200 points a week, and I have 2 more XP2500's coming in the next week or so. As many have said, it becomes addicting, especially when you NEED an excuse to build another PC.
[Heads nodding all around. A few worried looks. ;)]
2500+, M7NCG-400, 9600NP, SLK-900A (HTPC), Coolmax Taurus 300W
This machine lives two lives, Folder ~98% of the time OC to 3200+, and great <20db DVD playback at 100x13.
I am a big fan of the Biostar M7NCG-400. I have tried a LOT of microATX motherboards (at least 8 ), and it is my favorite by far. Stable, overclockable, nice feature set, and not expensive, especially compared to other nForce2 boards.

What is 100x13?
Upcoming are two more AMD "blades" based on the great research by haysdb, though they will run Windows for the time being. I do not really have the desire or motivation to even dabble in linux at this point.
Thank you. I had a lot of help, from CharlieChan, Lockheed, and others.

Will they be dedicated folders or double as servers or perform other duties?
I should start adding points to SPCR tomorrow.
Outstanding! Just in time to help us pass Team MacOS X. :D

Do you fold under this username? Good name. ;)

David

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Movin' On Over

Post by dukla2000 » Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:21 am

haysdb wrote:
BMW wrote:Right now I am scoring ~1200 points a week, and I have 2 more XP2500's coming in the next week or so. As many have said, it becomes addicting, especially when you NEED an excuse to build another PC.
[Heads nodding all around. A few worried looks. ;)]
Including mine - saw BMWBMW somewhere in my rearview mirror :shock:

(Where I come from it stands for Break My Windows BTW.)

Was wondering if we have (or need) a thread for desperate grasps at points? Am just busy staging a new PC for a family member and so far have only the SFF delivery. Dug out the old Thunderbird 1.4, borrowed a stick of DDR and optical drive from a live system, sharing a keyboard & monitor with a live system. Boot Knoppix from the CD and am folding on a pendrive - way to go!! 8) Should be worth about 20ppd until that Barton upgrade arrives for me (and I hand down a Tbred!)

BMW

Post by BMW » Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:13 am

I don't claim any recruiting to join SPCR, just what felt right.

The 100x13 reference is FSBxMultiplier when I watch movies, etc. This way, I undervolt to ~1.0V and run with just the HSF and PSU fans.

The new blades will be dedicated folders for the time being. As I build new PCs for friends and family, the parts will get used, moved, and replaced as necessary.

I wanted to fold under BMW, but it was taken, so a complete lack of imagination created BMWBMW for folding.

I like the thread for desperate grasps at points. I have a Gateway P3-500 (the first PC I ever bought, circa 1998?), that just needs some PC100 memory. I just can't get myself to pay real money for it. Damn emotional attchments. :lol:

Brent

NullObject

Post by NullObject » Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:21 am

BMW wrote:I don't claim any recruiting to join SPCR, just what felt right.

The 100x13 reference is FSBxMultiplier when I watch movies, etc. This way, I undervolt to ~1.0V and run with just the HSF and PSU fans.
The new blades will be dedicated folders for the time being. As I build new PCs for friends and family, the parts will get used, moved, and replaced as necessary.

I wanted to fold under BMW, but it was taken, so a complete lack of imagination created BMWBMW for folding.

I like the thread for desperate grasps at points. I have a Gateway P3-500 (the first PC I ever bought, circa 1998?), that just needs some PC100 memory. I just can't get myself to pay real money for it. Damn emotional attchments. :lol:

Brent
Brent, welcome to the team and congrats on your first points for the team.

Your at ~1200 ppw and your adding MORE blades? :shocked: Uh oh, you're really starting to scare me now.

I wonder if my old Pentium MMX would make up for your new blades :lol

GOODFELLA

Post by GOODFELLA » Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:10 pm

I planned on doing some folding, but the program creates an error in Windows XP pro and shuts down.
Anyone heard of this happenning?
Ill post more information if its needed.

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:23 pm

GOODFELLA wrote:I planned on doing some folding, but the program creates an error in Windows XP pro and shuts down.
Anyone heard of this happenning?
Ill post more information if its needed.
In the Folding@Home directory ( C:\Program Files\Folding@Home ? ), there will be a file named FAHlog.txt

Cut and paste one entire session, from start to end (it shouldn't be more than 20 or 30 lines), into a reply. We'll have you up and folding in no time.

David

edcrane

Post by edcrane » Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:08 pm

The cheerleader enticed me to join. I don't have too much to contribute (just a single p4 2.53, but it is idle the majority of the time), but every bit helps I imagine.

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:16 pm

edcrane wrote:The cheerleader enticed me to join.
Which one? :lol:
I don't have too much to contribute (just a single p4 2.53, but it is idle the majority of the time), but every bit helps I imagine.
You bet your baby chicks it does.

David

dasman
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dasman » Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:58 am

edcrane wrote:The cheerleader enticed me to join. I don't have too much to contribute (just a single p4 2.53, but it is idle the majority of the time), but every bit helps I imagine.
It's not how much you have to fold, it's if you're folding with everything you have!! :!: :!:

Welcome to the team :!:

Dave

edcrane

Post by edcrane » Sat Mar 20, 2004 5:56 am

adding two more g4 quicksilvers into the mix today-

dasman
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dasman » Sat Mar 20, 2004 1:25 pm

edcrane wrote:adding two more g4 quicksilvers into the mix today-
Kewwwwlll - stay ahead of Mac with Macs 8)

Dave

edcrane

Post by edcrane » Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:07 am

Crikey, after a couple days of running my two 1ghz quicksilvers, I've collected somewhere in the neighborhood of 60 points from them. :/

No wonder team OSX needs so many members.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:22 am

edcrane wrote:No wonder team OSX needs so many members.
According to the EOC stats,

Macrumors.com has on average 64.67 PPD per active user.

Team MacOS X has on average 70.75 PPD per active user.

SilentPCReview has on average 165.05 PPD per active user.

I have a spreadsheet at home that has all of the fun little statistics. 2CPU has a really high PPD per active user. As does The Knights Who Say Ni!. 361 and 255 respectively.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:35 am

Hey ain't Mac OSX still hot on our trail? As of this morn, I see they're 7 days from passing us. I still have every available machine folding away. Come on guys, we're not gonna let them pass us again, are we?? :?