New silent folding machine: which GPU?

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

quest_for_silence

New silent folding machine: which GPU?

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon May 24, 2010 4:06 am

I've a bunch of spares and a CoolerMaster Labs Test Bench to lay them down.

So I'd like to put on a dedicated quiet (silent) folding rig.

The only thing which I could need it's a videocard (I have an oc'ed 7600GT but maybe it's a way too old).

Which one? The PSU is a bit tiny (a FSP Zen 300W, but the CPU is frugal, an Intel Core 2 Duo E6300), while the case is open (the CM above mentioned): so I need one (or two?) critties which draw little power and are (or could be, modding the bios or swapping the heatsink) very quiet.

Unfortunately I know that ATI cards are not such good performers for folding, with reference to Nvidia offering.

Any hint is welcomed.

Regards,
Luca

KansaKilla
Friend of SPCR

Post by KansaKilla » Mon May 24, 2010 6:23 am

For low power and folding power, I've used the low-power editions of the 9800GT. Don't need a supplemental power cable. Another option is a GTS 250. Couple either one of those with an Accelero S1 and it'll be quiet.

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Mon May 24, 2010 8:51 am

GT250 is good I think.

cordis

true

Post by cordis » Mon May 24, 2010 1:14 pm

Yes, those are good options, but given the power supply, I'd look into a gt 240, they're lower power than either of those. In fact, I think you can get a fanless 240, so that would be a good option, especially in a wide open case with lots of ventilation. Run gpu folding on one of those, smp 3 on the cpu, you should be good to go!