Interesting Races and Folders-on-the-Move

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:15 pm

aston wrote:And on a somewhat related note, I love the cheerleading you do for the team, even though it makes me want to...strangle the life out of you with my bare hands!
:lol:

David
Last edited by haysdb on Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

aston

Post by aston » Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:17 pm

Lol. :)

CoolGav

Post by CoolGav » Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:42 am

My take on the whole ARM debate is something along the lines of this being a forum and F@H team for silent computing. We all learn and/or contribute on the forum, and its open to commercial usage - if someone shares an idea for a new cooler or suspension mount, then a company might come along and make them professionally (if they did that I hope they contact the originator first). Also, any commercial member may well have things to say to help others with thier silencing issues. As long as its not an all out recomendation of thier own products, and they are providing good advice, they are a real benefit to the forum. And the Arm guys have ARM and vendor in thier titles! I know on Ars technica forum there's a guy from Antec who gets asked when so and so cases are coming out etc. It should be no different for the F@H team - let ARM contribute, and in the form they want - as a single member rather than several small ones. They're being honest that they think SPCR is a great place to come for advice etc and want to support the community here. If you feel compelled to buy from ARM only because they are contributing great points for our team then I am ashamed of you. :twisted: The aim of the forum to to anable experience and promote good research into silencing PCs.

Come on, lets get to #24 by the end of the month! :D

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:25 am

Excellent point Gav. I remember a guy who kept popping in to rave about how great such and such a product was. Turns out he was a vendor. At least when people are open and honest about their affiliations, readers can make better judgements about that person's credibility.

#24 by the end of the month? Let's DO IT.

David

NullObject

Post by NullObject » Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:33 am

haysdb wrote:
NullObject wrote:How can any help be bad?

...well except for the time that my older brother suggested that I stick a screwdriver in the electrical outlet and then told my parents that he was only trying to be helpful :?
And of course, you DID! :shock:

(never quite trusted him after that...)
:shock: :oops: of course, which might explain my brain damage :roll:
haysdb wrote:A little, um, further down, NullObject is conspicuous by his yellowness, rolling in at #98 on the charts. Welcome to the Top 100 dude.

Turning to the second page, we have another yeller folder, c a p t a i n _ a n d r o i d. Is it just me, or do you find yourself lowering the pitch of your voice and speaking loudly when you say that name?

Lots of "green guys" on the move down there, from sthayashi, Artcubed (who, to tell you the truth, is going nowhere fast), seantopia, aston, nap_loaf (where the heck did THAT name come from), mobquet, ArtCubed, and Makael_Strand. We expect to see all you schmucks in the Top 100 soon, OK?
haysdb wrote: We have the distinctly odd situation where we currently have more red folders than orange folders. I am going to have to ask wgragg to temporarily reduce his production below 5000 points per week in order to rectify this unacceptable situation.
Thanks. Hopefully, I will join the ranks of orange in the next month or so so wgragg won't have to slow down. That way I can watch you two race :wink:

I hope all you schmucks, as it was so eloquently stated, pass Pete Amer and knock him back down to page 2 :lol:

roym@arm
-- Vendor --

Post by roym@arm » Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:08 am

To SPCR Members:

We, at ARM, are overwhelmed by your support and acceptance as a team member. :oops: We, too, are glad to be folding with you. :D

Again, thank you from all of us.

RoyM, STEVO, Patrick, Mark, Felix, Judy, Heather, Anita, Cris, Brien, et al.

NOW! Who wants to be bribed for some extra points? :wink: :wink:

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:09 am

Excuse my ignorance.... but is it not the case that schmuck means "A foolish or contemptible person"?

If so... why are the green folders at the beginning of their folding... careers 8) 'schmucks'?

And if it's correct that they are schmucks, then I have to point out to you that you've missed me off the list :shock:

NullObject, big congrats on hitting double figures 8) 8)

And just for your amusement have a look at the stats, I'm still on page 2, will be till midnight when a 60 pointer goes in then a 58 pointer tom at 11:00ish :shock: (Heh, it's big points for me 8) )

Pete

wgragg

Post by wgragg » Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:25 pm

Ahh, thanks Null. I knew someone would come to my rescue! In fact, in my constant effort to try to close the gap between Haysdb and myself, I just borged another Xeon today!

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:45 pm

peteamer wrote:Excuse my ignorance.... but is it not the case that schmuck means "A foolish or contemptible person"?
I admit, I didn't look up the word in the dictionary before I used it. :oops: On the other hand, I'm not going to tell you what I THOUGHT it meant EITHER! :twisted:

:lol:

David

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dukla2000 » Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:38 pm

roym@arm wrote:We, at ARM, are overwhelmed by your support and acceptance as a team member.
Didn't realise there was a 'vendor debate' going in this thread.

Just want to take the opportunity to cast my vote that says I am happy for anyone to be here as long as they identify their (relevant) affiliations (the vendor tag comes from a previous debate about this and seems to me to be working great) and make some positive contributions where they are able.

IMHO ARM are welcome (as are all the other folks with the Vendor label). Certainly I feel 'closer' to the SPCR folders than other SPCR members and in general attach greater value to their contributions in the other forums cause there is more like-mindedness. The search for maximum grunt power that is as quiet as possible keeps me occupied: by their contribution to SPCR Folding it is clear ARM know about grunt, from Mike's review of at least 1 product they are fair practitioners of the quiet art.

NullObject

Post by NullObject » Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:42 pm

peteamer wrote:Excuse my ignorance.... but is it not the case that schmuck means "A foolish or contemptible person"?

If so... why are the green folders at the beginning of their folding... careers 8) 'schmucks'?

And if it's correct that they are schmucks, then I have to point out to you that you've missed me off the list :shock:

NullObject, big congrats on hitting double figures 8) 8)

And just for your amusement have a look at the stats, I'm still on page 2, will be till midnight when a 60 pointer goes in then a 58 pointer tom at 11:00ish :shock: (Heh, it's big points for me 8) )

Pete
Thanks for the definition. Was that the OED def? :wink:

I do have to admit that I knew what it meant. I was trying to be sarcastic in my usage, which is why i added the phrase "as it was so eloquently stated". But my sarcasm failed :oops:

Thanks Pete. And yes, I am a schmuck too. :roll:

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:18 pm

Null, I got your sarcasm, to me at least... it was obvious and funny :lol:

I don't get... "OED def" tho... :oops:

I have to say tho... (REALLY no offence haysdb) the funniest thing was the irony of the misuse of the word in the first place. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not as good though as when my father told me I was, "Too erudite for him"

I'm not that clever,... so I looked in the dictionary.... the definition?

One word...

"Learned"

Even the dictionary laughed at the irony :oops:

Talking of not too clever... just realised the book beside me is called...

Oxford English Dictionary.. which I guess makes def mean definition.

I know... I know, just give me a little time :oops:

It also says (OED :wink: ) "schmuck: from Yiddish, shmok 'penis' "

That gentlemen, concludes todays lesson... now don't forget your homework (folding) :wink:

Regards

Pete

NullObject

Post by NullObject » Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:26 pm

peteamer wrote:Oxford English Dictionary.. which I guess makes def mean definition.

I know... I know, just give me a little time :oops:

It also says (OED :wink: ) "schmuck: from Yiddish, shmok 'penis' "

That gentlemen, concludes todays lesson... now don't forget your homework (folding) :wink:

Regards

Pete
I need to remember to not take a drink while reading one of your posts Pete. I keep having to switch keyboards and dry off my monitor. :D :D :D

roym@arm
-- Vendor --

Post by roym@arm » Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:09 pm

wgragg wrote:Ahh, thanks Null. I knew someone would come to my rescue! In fact, in my constant effort to try to close the gap between Haysdb and myself, I just borged another Xeon today!
Now wragg, why would you want to do that? Now it will really make it difficult for us to catch up with you. :wink:

But this demonstrate the competitive spirit in all of us....

Keep up the good work. :lol:

RoyM

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:08 pm

sthayashi is YELLOW!!!

...and it looks like he will stay that way, with over 200 points on 3 of his last 6 days. Way to go sthayashi!

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:12 pm

SGreiwe has made the second page, breaking in at 199, and bigred is not far behind, needing just 82 points to make the leap.

Kemokim has entered the scene with a bang, with his first 69 points posted already today. Do we have a new green folder in our future?

Ogre1384 is GREEN

papasmurf is GREEN...again?

aston, look quick, you're YELLOW!

My apologies to those I've missed.

David

aston

Post by aston » Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:07 pm

... and now I'm green again.

I gotta find more systems to borg somehow... sthayashi is gonna catch me soon!

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:26 pm

Aston, Congrats on the Yellow 8) , even if it was only temp. :?

I see you'll be knocking on my door in six weeks now :shock:

Don't fight the addiction, it's useless, use your energy wisely (to borg :twisted: )

Just so you know your not alone:

Here's one I(/We) prepared earlier :wink:

Pete.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:30 pm

haysdb wrote:sthayashi is YELLOW!!!
...and it looks like he will stay that way, with over 200 points on 3 of his last 6 days. Way to go sthayashi!
Thanks. I love the support here and I feel like I'm actually making a difference in our team ranking.
aston wrote:I gotta find more systems to borg somehow... sthayashi is gonna catch me soon!
You better hurry. I've fixed my 1.5GHz problem, so now my main folding machine is running at 2.0GHz, and I've got another machine that's itching to go (as soon as I get my fiancee to install F@H).

NullObject

Post by NullObject » Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:00 pm

It was great to see 3 folders in yellow on the second page today!

captain_andriod
aston
sthayashi

Congratulations on yellow. Aston I kept you yellow becuase I believe you will get back there soon :wink:

Zyzzyx

Congrats on orange! We now have as many orange folders as red!

ArtCubed

Post by ArtCubed » Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:31 pm

Ahhhh! There are people on my threats list!

Time to boot up the iBook and find a network cable to hook up the iMac! I'd like to be in the top 100 sometime within the next two weeks. I still need 2,300 points, but I'll get there real soon. The G4 is on full time too...it's quieter now. Far from silent, but quiet, and not blowing up b/c of heat.

Ya know, if you add the two of me together, I'd be yellow :twisted:

wgragg

Post by wgragg » Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:06 am

David (Haysdb), are you trying to make me get out my folding voodoo doll and put a hex on your farm? I mean, everytime I add a new processor and get my points up a little, you seem to up your production! I mean, I am just trying to get where I can catch up with you in March, rather than April 27th!

Gee, some people just don't know how to roll over and play dead! :roll: :twisted:

NullObject

Post by NullObject » Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:32 am

wgragg wrote:David (Haysdb), are you trying to make me get out my folding voodoo doll and put a hex on your farm? I mean, everytime I add a new processor and get my points up a little, you seem to up your production! I mean, I am just trying to get where I can catch up with you in March, rather than April 27th!

Gee, some people just don't know how to roll over and play dead! :roll: :twisted:
Maybe you two should race to 10th :D :D :D

NullObject

Post by NullObject » Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:38 am

It looks like dasman is about to go orange.

ArtCubed & Ogre1384 are about to go yellow

Can aston stay ahead of Ogre1384?
Can ArtCubed stay ahead of them both?

Hmmmm....maybe they'll race :lol: :lol: :lol:

wgragg

Post by wgragg » Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:40 am

NullObject wrote: Maybe you two should race to 10th :D :D :D
Well, he does have quite a head start on me. Besides, I think ARM is going to beat us both there at this rate! Hmm, I could try to borg some of the computers in the city IT dept.....but they may take a dim view on that one! :D

I bet TRC-13 and Lockheed are reading these and just laughing at all of us peons fighting for places below them!
:wink:

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:44 am

NullObject, are you mixing up two threads? 8)

Or is my provoking contageous as well as my sermonising :twisted:

Light Love and Peace

(And keep up the good work 'O worthy disciple' :wink: )

Pete

NullObject

Post by NullObject » Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:14 am

wgragg wrote:Well, he does have quite a head start on me. Besides, I think ARM is going to beat us both there at this rate! Hmm, I could try to borg some of the computers in the city IT dept.....but they may take a dim view on that one!

I bet TRC-13 and Lockheed are reading these and just laughing at all of us peons fighting for places below them!
wgragg, where's your fighting spirit? Yes, David does have a good lead but you can still beat him to 10th :wink: . Just send some goats Pete's way and you never know. :twisted:

David, wgragg told me that he wants to pass you *silently* and that's why he is pretending like the race to 10th is hopeless in public :wink:

Really he did...:lol:

I would imagine that they are happy that there are a bunch of other folders enthusiastic about folding. Eventually we'll have a phalanx of red folders leading the charge to the top...or at least past Mac OS X & the nits who say ni. :D :D :D
peteamer wrote:NullObject, are you mixing up two threads? 8)

Or is my provoking contageous as well as my sermonising :twisted:

Light Love and Peace

(And keep up the good work 'O worthy disciple' :wink: )

Pete
No...but normally I'm confused enough to do such a thing :roll:

Yes, it is contageous. I'm also trying to get some more 'Interesting races' going. After all...this is the thread for it. Isn't it? Or am I confused again? :? :roll:

dasman
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dasman » Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:23 am

NullObject wrote:It looks like dasman is about to go orange.

ArtCubed & Ogre1384 are about to go yellow

Can aston stay ahead of Ogre1384?
Can ArtCubed stay ahead of them both?

Hmmmm....maybe they'll race :lol: :lol: :lol:
I appreciate the love :D But I can't quite seem to get over the hump yet :(

I've got a rebuilt P4 2.4 to bring on-line later this week, hopefully that will get me there...

Dave

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:59 am

NullObject wrote:
wgragg wrote:David (Haysdb), are you trying to make me get out my folding voodoo doll and put a hex on your farm? I mean, everytime I add a new processor and get my points up a little, you seem to up your production! I mean, I am just trying to get where I can catch up with you in March, rather than April 27th!

Maybe you two should race to 10th :D :D :D
I am folding like hell to get to 10th before he does, so I can have the satisfaction of being in the Top 10 before getting bumped back out. I haven't checked lately, but last time I looked it was going to be a near thing, whether I could get there in time.

(UN)Fortunately, tangled, Frank_Condron, and aphonos are making it easier for me to get there :(. I am hoping these three are just "on vacation" and will be back to challenge their positions. Getting to 10th will be cool, but I want to "earn it".

David

wgragg

Post by wgragg » Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:58 pm

Welll, since I am such a nice guy (yeah right) and since you are such a nice guy, I won't hex your computers.....Now where did I put that Double Your Computer Speed Potion....... :P