Graphical Production Comparison - SPCR vs MacOSX

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

roym@arm
-- Vendor --

Post by roym@arm » Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:40 am

Mustang Mac wrote:
MustangMac, as the lead dog for team MacOS X, you better check again ...
Why yes. Team (A)RM (S)tealth (S)ystems is ahead of Team MacOS X. But the gauntlet was to pass Team AnandTech first. Which we most handily did. Yes I am the lead dog for our TEAM. Me and me alone.

I'm glad to see science benefitting. But, as for the competition, well our team is a group of INDIVIDUALS banded together. Yours? Half individual, and half VENDOR. With some of those individual efforts slightly tainted. So really we can't compare Apples to oranges. Pretty simplified. Fold on!

All I can say is...WHAT A SOUR APPLE!

Go build a monument for yourself and stop making excuses.

Oh! Don't forget to build one for your ego too! You'll need a very big monument for that! :wink:

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:01 am

I will let Mr. Bargmann's post stand on it's own merits.

David

Zipity_Du_da

Post by Zipity_Du_da » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:28 am

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:43 am

ARM Systems points comprise 1.83% of Team SPCR's total.

But even if it were 50%, why would that be significant? Why descriminate against Steve and Roy? If any of our own members have an issue with ARM Systems participation, we can talk about it, but the only individual trying to make an issue of it is a member of another team.

David

Mustang Mac

Post by Mustang Mac » Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:07 am

I know of what we're doing is good for the science, no matter what team or platform it is done on... But, you're sure making me contemplate walking away from Folding and putting some of my time and money to other things.

You may be having fun with your jabs back and forth, but its starting to look rather childish from where I stand. And that's not something I expected to see, from either side.
You are right. Objection sustained. Sometimes a man's judgement can be clouded when the perception of personal insult is involved. :( Keep on folding on!

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:25 am

Can we declare a cease-fire Mustang Mac?

Back in 1983, I was working at ComputerLand. I had the pleasure of being onhand as Steve Jobs pulled the cover off the very first Mac. I bought my first Mac via the "Own a Mac" program. I had a 128K Mac with an external floppy drive. That eventually got replaced with a Ci. My niece works for Apple. My brother works for a big PC company, but uses Macs at home. I respect Apple Computer and the Mac, even though I don't currently own or use a Mac.

We have "won" the current round, just as you guys did the previous one. I have no doubt whatsoever that we will meet again. I wish you and your team well. Till we meet again!

David

dasman
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dasman » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:06 am

Zyzzyx wrote: I know of what we're doing is good for the science, no matter what team or platform it is done on... But, you're sure making me contemplate walking away from Folding and putting some of my time and money to other things.

You may be having fun with your jabs back and forth, but its starting to look rather childish from where I stand. And that's not something I expected to see, from either side.

If you'll excuse me now, I'm going to go Fold in silence. Something I would recommend a few other folks contemplate.
Well said -- this is indeed getting ridiculous

Dave

NoahJ

Post by NoahJ » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:08 am

Not a cease fire, but rules of engagement. Innuendo and lack of civility should be left at the door. We plan to take you guys down again. So run while you can!

Wrah
Patron of SPCR

Post by Wrah » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:13 am

Allrighty, spent the last half hour writing a lengthy reply here but I see it's cooled down already. :)
Btw, your topfolder produces 19% of your pdd, shall we name your team after him? No, offcourse not! :x
Some people are in the position that they can let bunch of computers computers at work fold for them (wether they're system admin or simply the big guys that run the place :)). And it can be frustrating if you're trying to compete with that when you don't have the resources.:? I know, I'm surrounded by those guys. ;)
And actually we had a similar situation when the Knights With Now Broken Knees passed us by. Their topfolder has 127 pc's folding and we had nobody that could come even near. It can be annyoing if those people make the difference and you can't compete, but then it's time again to remember it's all just for fun of it and Stanford is the winner in the end.Image

Wrah
Patron of SPCR

Post by Wrah » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:24 am

However in your defence I do think that the taunting was a bit overdone sometimes. :roll: Taunting is a lot of fun during a race, but not afterwards, out of respect imo.

Now where's the forum of those powercows? :)
Last edited by Wrah on Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zipity_Du_da

Post by Zipity_Du_da » Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:36 pm

Watch out for the rabbit, he's got sharp teeth, and he's kinda of a gas bag if you know what I mean. Don't worry, they have their pointed little teeth aimed for you ankles not your ARMs.

Heee Heee. Ha

unregistered

Post by unregistered » Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:22 pm

Zyzzyx came up with a great graph here, well worth a "sticky". :D :D

The only problem is "they" have this thread bookmarked. :evil:

May be time to let it slide? :idea:

It ain't over until Zyzzyx says it over!

Is Team MacOS X still worthy of a "sticky" at SPCR? :?:

I vote Mustang Mac as the SPCR folding team Motivator of the week. :shock:

Kuuuuuuudoughs!

Stevo@ARM
-- Vendor --

Post by Stevo@ARM » Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:57 pm

Mustang Mac wrote:
You are right. Objection sustained. Sometimes a man's judgement can be clouded when the perception of personal insult is involved. :( Keep on folding on!
To Mustang Mac and NoahJ:

For the record, my posts are merely in the spirit of 'locker-room' humor between strong evenly matched competitors in a heated race, and are not intended to be taken by anyone on any Folding team very seriously. The whole Folding for points race is rather abstract in nature and some of us just try to keep it lively and fun. Come on guys, really, there is already enough pain, suffering, and individual stress in the world to go around. So, just laugh about it, it's good medicine for the soul :D

OK, now just to be fair, I have been snooping in on the MacOS X forums for weeks and have noticed there is plenty of similar, or sometimes even harder hitting banter over there about ARM and team SPCR, more-so using words than actual graphics though, so I was actually quite surprised at how many feathers got ruffled during this last leg of the race between the two teams.

Since you brought it up more than once, (both in the MacOS X and SPCR Folding forums), I need to set the record straight and to be absolutely certain that everyone clearly understands -- ARM Systems DOES NOT Borg customer computers with Folding@Home and then ship them out that way! Not only is that just plain silly from a customer relations perspective, but, SHEESH!, if we actually did do that, team SPCR would already be folding well into the RED ZONE, and it wouldn't be too long before SPCR would be picking off the top 10 teams one by one with ease. We ship out very large numbers of extremely powerful systems to customers all over the USA, and that aggregated customer CPU horsepower easily dwarfs anything the highest producing Folder in the whole F@H program could possibly dream of assembling/borging together. As for our in-house systems, Roy and I didn't even bring all of our firepower online, we ran around like crazed monkeys at the end of our long days to add what turned out to be just enough horsepower to help catapult SPCR into the lead, keep everyone motivated, and hopefully... keep it fun and interesting! The reality is, we actually have a lot more CPU power here at the shop just lying around in our spare parts bins but we simply don't have the personal time or bandwidth to even load F@H on them, and we certainly aren't going to pay our employees overtime for that purpose either.

For those that want a little more background about the burn-in process here at ARM, previously we used Prime95 to stress test our production system's CPUs during overnight burn-ins, it works very good for that purpose and helps to ensure the customer get's a healthy CPU in their new computer. However, once MikeC of SPCR introduced us to the Folding@Home program, we thought, you know... it might be better that we actually use those burn-in cycles for medical research rather than let them crunch away trying to find some new gargantuan prime number --NOTE: this comment is not intended to slight anyone using Prime95 or part of that organization's distributed computing program. :wink:

In closing, I would like to ask everyone (on any Folding@Home team) who reads this post to just lighten up a bit, don't take things too personal, and try to have some genuine fun with the Folding races. At the end of the day, we all know that we are Folding to help our fellow man, but I have to ask, 'Why should we treat the process like going to a funeral?', I say make it as fun as you can, like going to a good lively football or basketball game... Hey, some cheer louder than others, but to each his own....

Stevo
---------------
Off the Soap-Box and Back to Folding :wink:
Last edited by Stevo@ARM on Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mas92264
Patron of SPCR

Post by mas92264 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:20 pm

In closing, I would like to ask everyone (on any Folding@Home team) who reads this post to just lighten up a bit, don't take things too personal, and try to have some genuine fun with the Folding races.
No kidding. I'm 100% with you on this Stevo. If the Mac dudes want to beat us, then just do it. Griping and complaining score zero points. :?

M

wussboy

Post by wussboy » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:20 pm

I personally have really enjoyed this race with Mac OSX. They've been realy sporting guys and it's been fun throughout. I'm not a Mac lover in any way, but I gotta say, I have enjoyed having Mustang Mac and NoahJ around. I'm glad everyone was able to take a step back from all this and get it in perspective. It's been so much fun, let's keep it that way!

Zipity_Du_da

Post by Zipity_Du_da » Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:24 am

NoahJ

Post by NoahJ » Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:11 pm

Hey Steveo,

I have never felt angry at any of you during this process. At least, not very angry. Some of the smack talking got a bit rough, and I returned the favor but I always feel that there is a line and I tried never to cross it. I still say:

"Rules of engagement. Innuendo and lack of civility should be left at the door. We plan to take you guys down again. So run while you can!"

Glad you seem to agree! :)

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:43 pm

With decidedly mixed emotions I must point out that MacOSX are again outproducing us, not by a lot, but steadily. Check the first page of this thread to see a graphical representation.

Time to do another membership drive.

David

Macaholic

Post by Macaholic » Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:52 pm

What's the matter?! ARMs getting tired?! MUAHAHAHAHAHA! :twisted: Team Panther is on the prowl! Don't worry. Predation is a good thing, honest!

NoahJ

Post by NoahJ » Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:02 am

Nothing to see here. Move along... :)

NoahJ

Post by NoahJ » Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:31 pm

Are you still looking? Go about your business... pay no attention to the fact that we are creeping up on you silently. We will take off the mufflers when we leave you behind again...

NoahJ

Post by NoahJ » Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:40 am

Looks like this thread is dead since Arachnid has assumed room temperature. Too bad! I was enjoying those graphs immensely! 8)