First quiet build

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

patwest

First quiet build

Post by patwest » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:59 pm

I have been reading these forums for a while and it has left me wanting to build a small and quiet computer. I am amazed by the S479 systems that some people have put together here and I think I want to try building one myself. But I am not sure about a lot of things, I am looking to build a system for desktop use now and later on I want to remove the gfx card and use it for a media center.

I was thinking that I would use a picoPSU, but I also don't want to use onboard graphics because I play some games. I have seen systems at load taking 40-50 watts using core duos and according to x-bit labs a 7600gs only takes 28 watts max. Can someone confirm the wattage of a 7600gs?

The parts I am thinking of using are:
Aopen i945GTm-VHL??
picoPSU-120
Intel T7200
2x1GB PC5300 DDR2
Asus EN7600GS Silent HTD (are there any similar cards with dual DVI?)
120GB Seagate Momentus
1 or 2 Nexus fans at 5V as needed

Would the picoPSU be enough for a system like this?

There doesn't seem to be a huge selection of S479 boards but I am looking for one that undervolts from the bios, has DVI or HDMI and possibly eSATA.

I haven't seen a case that I really like, I am leaning towards the NSK3300 but it seems too big. This would also give me the option to use the included psu and replace it with the picoPSU if I wanted.

Thanks,
Patrick

Le_Gritche

Re: First quiet build

Post by Le_Gritche » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:21 am

patwest wrote:I have seen systems at load taking 40-50 watts using core duos and according to x-bit labs a 7600gs only takes 28 watts max. Can someone confirm the wattage of a 7600gs?
In their testing they just took a 7600GT and underclocked it to the frequency of a 7600GS (because they have the same core). 28W was the result.
But the real 7600GS are undervolted, the core is at 1.1V contrary to 1.3V for the GT (that a fact for the passive 7600GS, I don't know if that's true for the fan-cooled 7600GS).
Memory is also less demanding bus-wide and frequency wise so a couple watts saved here too.
According to hkepc.com, the 7600GS is consuming 24W, I don't know if that's a real measurement or just straight from the manufacturer factsheet though.
Combining the theoritical, full-voltage 28W and the undervolting I would guess it's even less than 24W.
Realted HKEPC article : MSI 7600GS on HKEPC .
It's in Chinese though, so you might want to use Babel Fish Translation, from traditional Chinese to English.
Would the picoPSU be enough for a system like this?
I have no idea as I'm not really up-to-date about the picoPSU, all I remember is that it can provide a good amount of power on the 12V rail (as it is just more or less feeding it straight from the PSU brick), but very little amount of power on the 5V rail.
I'm sure you will find some exemples of picoPSU build in the forum though.

EDIT: ...and WELCOME TO SPCR btw ! :D