ASUS P5K do i need a chassis fan

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

sapatriot

ASUS P5K do i need a chassis fan

Post by sapatriot » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:02 pm

Hi All,

I have the stock CPU fan that came with my Intel Q6600 attached which appears to be keeping my cpu relatively cooled (below 50C at load) but my motherboard temp appears to run at almost 50C too.

Is that safe? Should I attach a chassis fan of some description?

Im a complete newbie so any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

D

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:29 pm

Thats pretty normal for Chipset chips to run that hot or even hotter, if you were concerned a better Heatsink would be preferable to another fan.

Andy

Blue_Sky

Post by Blue_Sky » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:40 pm

I cool my E6750 with the stock intel fan (soon to be a Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme) on my P5K with a Nexus 120 mm fan as my case exhaust fan. The CPU idles at 33C and hits 44C at load (50C after about 4 hours of TAT 100% load), also my WD SE16 500GB drive ranges from 35-45 degrees Celsius.

Temperatures in that range are generally a matter of personal choice. I would flip if my HDD or CPU hit 50C even while gaming, but that is just me. I'm also not too worried about my motherboard (I don't trust speedfan's numbers, so those temps are unknown) or my graphics card as they are both rated for higher temperatures.

Upon reading my P5K manual again, I can't find anything related to temperature specifications.

I would recommend using a chassis fan for the simple fact that it will increase the lifetime of all of your components. SPCR recommends some good fans, personally I like Nexus fans.

Also, more info on your setup (case, graphics card and possibly HDD) always helps people understand your situation more.

bp

Post by bp » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:05 am

Hi,

I own a P5K SE with a E6550 on it.

About motherboard temperature, I got 34°C even when in burn mode. Cpu temperatures are around 25 in idle and 47 in burn.

I tried overclocking my cpu to 3 GHz. Then the motherboard started to warm up (yes higher FSB means more power dissipated in the chipset): 45°C was then a normal temperature. Cpu temperature are 27 in idle and 51 in burn.

What I see in many heatsinks reviews, is that tower system don't cool efficiently components around the cpu. The default intel box cooler or a zalman cooler (like a 8700 or 7700) have a top-down airflow that also brings fresh air to the components around the cpu.

Most important for motherboard components temperature is your case fan. I own a large 12 cm fan. When shutting it off, my case temperature rise a lot (and in my case it is really worse, because I own a passive 8600 GT video card). Without case fan, my video card rise up to 90°C ! (but still runs at full speed after a whole day of gaming). With it, my video card runs at most 65°C when gaming.

I hope this helps.

bp

jackylman

Post by jackylman » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:08 am

andyb wrote:Thats pretty normal for Chipset chips to run that hot or even hotter
It's probably an ambient case temp, as opposed to an actual chipset temp diode.

seraphyn

Post by seraphyn » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:42 am

With 2 chassis fans my P5K premium reaches 34C. Going from this i would assume it should be doable without chassis fans, but not without a processor fan.