Anyone here have PC that is quieter then a modern laptop?

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

AckeDman

Anyone here have PC that is quieter then a modern laptop?

Post by AckeDman » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:08 am

Reason im asking is because i dont really know where modern laptops are dbA wise... at work im sitting with a laptop and if i ever would have a computer this quiet i would never be able to know when its on if i didnt look at the LEDs.

qviri

Post by qviri » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:58 am

Noise levels at a workplace are typically a bit higher than a (quiet) home.

You can usually get a desktop quieter than laptops. My laptops run fanless most of the time, but the deal breaker for them is the hard drive. Desktops offer much more hard drive silencing options simply because there's more space.

jolynsbass

Re: Anyone here have PC that is quieter then a modern laptop

Post by jolynsbass » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:33 am

AckeDman wrote:Reason im asking is because i dont really know where modern laptops are dbA wise... at work im sitting with a laptop and if i ever would have a computer this quiet i would never be able to know when its on if i didnt look at the LEDs.
I have a relatively new laptop (Dell 640m/e1405 from Dec 2006), which is pretty quiet, especially compared to my old laptop from 2000. My desktop is considerably quieter than the laptop, and yes, I have had many moments where I've had to visually confirm that the machine was on by looking at the lights. If even just the refrigerator in the kitchen is on (and it's not a loud fridge), I can't hear a thing from my desktop computer. It's blissfully quiet.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:39 am

AckeDman wrote:Reason im asking is because i dont really know where modern laptops are dbA wise... at work im sitting with a laptop and if i ever would have a computer this quiet i would never be able to know when its on if i didnt look at the LEDs.
That's the whole point of SPCR.
Keep reading...
Some of us here think even mouse clicks and keyboard strokes are too loud!

Wibla
Friend of SPCR

Post by Wibla » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:56 am

xan_user wrote: Some of us here think even mouse clicks and keyboard strokes are too loud!
But they are! aaaargh! ( :wink: )

Michael Sandstrom

Post by Michael Sandstrom » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:06 am

Every laptop fan I have ever heard is louder than my computer.

seraphyn

Post by seraphyn » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:37 am

Haven't heard my desktop whenever someone turned on his laptop, so I'd say laptops are noisy little things.

Plekto

Post by Plekto » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:16 pm

I'd say about the same unles the laptop has one of those really noise little fans(the PS3 has a similar fan which is noisy but acceptable since you don't play a PS3 in silence anyways)

30db total is easy to accomplish in a full-blown system

20db requires a bit of money and careful planning. But you can make a full-blown 20db system with a lot of work and patience. IMO, since most houses have a sound floor of about 25-30db, 30db is a much easier and saner goal to aim for unless you have a special need/situation that requires no noise, like a recording studio or similar.

10db is essentially purely passive(there will be about 10db from internal components and such plus some from airflow). This requires kind of silly things, but is possible, much like how the old 8 and 16 bit computers were. Usually there's a power brick and a few large heat sinks.

The machines won't run full-blown games, though, but they will run email and web and such perfectly well. Total power would be close to 30-40W for the entire thing. Essentialy a laptop board in a box.

Modo

Post by Modo » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:34 pm

Michael Sandstrom wrote:Every laptop fan I have ever heard is louder than my computer.
QFT. My 12'' MSI laptop always has the fan on, so it's louder than my PC even at idle.