Dampening material vs case windows

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

tweakt

Dampening material vs case windows

Post by tweakt » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:43 am

Is there a noticeable effect on noise transmission when dampening material is used on a panel with a case window? Unless the window is very small, I'm thinking since majority of the panel will not be covered (unless you put it over the window), the material's effect will be greatly diminished. Then again, I don't know how effective this stuff is to begin with.

Also, is plexi more transmissive of noise than say aluminum or other metals panels are typically made of?

FlorisNielssen

Post by FlorisNielssen » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:33 pm

There might be a slight difference, but certainly not as much as without the window. I'm not an expert at damping material, but I've got some against my case panel and it keeps the high tones out! Euh, in. With the case window I wouldn't spend money and time trying to dampen it.

Plexi or aluminium? The heavier the better. Because if it's heavy it won't vibrate as fast and thus create noise.

If you ask me, you have to have quiet components to begin with, without them you can add as much damping material as you like, it'll never be quiet.