Do you have a favorite fan controller?

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Bearmann

Do you have a favorite fan controller?

Post by Bearmann » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:46 pm

Something that would look nice and work well on the front of an Antec Solo case?

Thanks!

InfyMcGirk

Post by InfyMcGirk » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:20 am

In my current setup (circa 6 years old) I just use Zalman Fanmate2s inside the case to run my system fans at a constant low speed. I use watercooling for my CPU and GPU in that system, so the fans don't need to run at much past the minimum just to keep several HDDs and MB components cool. I don't run the fans at minimum but rather turn them up until just before I can hear them though, because I want to make sure that they start up OK every time.

In the new system I'm currently planning, I intend to install a mCubed bigNG. I'm aiming to use air cooling this time without having to twiddle with knobs or software (at least once it's set up).

If you want a nice looking, well built solution for a drive bay, I've heard that the Scythe Kaze Master controllers are good and have a clear display for temperature and RPM for each of 4 fans (and included temp sensors). They sell a 3.5" version for 2 fans/sensors too.

I've read some horror stories about the cheaper yet higher-rated controllers, such as the sunbeam rheobus, so I would avoid those. See below:

So there I was, with my case on fire, and I was wondering...

Bearmann

Post by Bearmann » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:44 am

InfyMcGirk,

That mCubed bigNG looks very nice, but I can't find it for sale anywhere and it appears to be more than I want to spend anyway. The Scythe Kaze Master 2 appears to be the only controller at newegg that got a good review. I think I may want an internal solution, set it, and forget it. I'll post a different question on the fan forum.

Barry

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:04 am

Akas FanControl Jr. Simply, robust and good. Has worked well for past 3 years and still going strong! No unnecessary blings and such.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:46 am

Hi,

Another vote for Fanmate 2 -- or the motherboard. KIS

nightmorph

Post by nightmorph » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:50 am

--
Last edited by nightmorph on Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bearmann

Post by Bearmann » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:53 pm

That Akas FanControl Jr. looks very nice! Looks might it might be a little hard to find in the USA. I'm going to try and get by without a controller if I can, as I mentioned above. Thanks Neil and nightmorph for your suggestions as well :)

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:00 pm

the best ever but non fancy is Zalman's machined aluminum knob one. It controls a whole bunch and the action on the knobs is supreme. it also goes lower in voltage than any that I have seen. I forget the exact specs but it is stellar.

other than that, I use a non pwm 3 1/2 bay controller. it has 2x usb and 3 knobs. works for 5+ years by an asian company called DIY :)

its actually the most useful in that it takes up only one 3 1/2", has no lights, and works forever. most importantly, I can close the door on it. my zalman has issues.

Zalman has a new one that is all digital. It looks cooler in person. I saw it at Microcenter. Very impressive looking but I do not know how well its built. no experience.

Modo

Post by Modo » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:59 pm

SpeedFan, of course. Add-on controllers with the same level of control cost a lot, and I don't need the bling. I would highly recommend trying it.

Bearmann

Post by Bearmann » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:17 am

~El~Jefe~,
Yes, I've used that company DIY in the distant past, but nearly everyone of their products has screwed up! I hate that DIY!!! :evil:

Modo- I've heard of speedfan, but have no experience with it. Would you use adjustable fans connected to the motherboard and control them with the speedfan software? I agree that going blingfree is liberating :)

Modo

Post by Modo » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:43 am

Bearmann wrote:Would you use adjustable fans connected to the motherboard and control them with the speedfan software?
That is exactly my setup right now. Two standard 3-pin fans are controlled automatically by SpeedFan. Inaudible when idle, they start moving faster once I start up games, benchmarks, etc.

The one caveat with SpeedFan is, it only supports fan control and sensor readings for some hardware (the list is long, but not every popular device is on it.) But SpeedFan is free, so I'd try it anyway. If it doesn't work, you can still go out and buy a hardware controller.

hawtfrank

Post by hawtfrank » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:49 am

I use a Scythe Kazemaster FCU. It has 4 Temp sensors and fan controllers and a display that shows RPMS and Temps. It beeps when a fan doesn't start or the temp goes above 75c cost 4,480 Yen.

Bearmann

Post by Bearmann » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:31 am

If I am not mistaken, my current Dell PC automatically ramps up the fan when it gets hot, and slows it down when it gets cooler. On further reading, I guess this is just the CPU heatsink fan? Why is this automatic fan control not available for case fans? How could it be achieved?

Modo

Post by Modo » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:51 am

Bearmann wrote:If I am not mistaken, my current Dell PC automatically ramps up the fan when it gets hot, and slows it down when it gets cooler. On further reading, I guess this is just the CPU heatsink fan? Why is this automatic fan control not available for case fans? How could it be achieved?
The specific options vary a lot depending on your hardware. Most modern PSUs and motherboards have some kind of automatic fan control, but not all offer direct ways for the user to modify the settings. You have to check your manual for ways of doing this.

If there is a way to change the settings, it will be through BIOS and/or an application. If the settings are not made adjustable by the vendor, enter SpeedFan. If that still doesn't help, you get to play with hardware controllers. (Actually, you get to play with whatever you can afford anytime. ;))

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:26 am

I hate speedfan.

a lot.

It also can crash on AMD or Intel systems. Crash really bad. really really bad.

program sux.

milfner

Post by milfner » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:46 pm

DPGC is good

greenfrank

Post by greenfrank » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:21 am

I don't know if could work properly but maybe worth to give a try:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13913

it costs less than three bucks including shipping.
They have also cheap controls fixed on the chassis.

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:38 pm

~El~Jefe~ wrote:I hate speedfan.

a lot.

It also can crash on AMD or Intel systems. Crash really bad. really really bad.

program sux.
I only use it to monitor temps, but it never crashed on me, not once. Maybe an older version?

fri2219

NoiseMagic NMT2

Post by fri2219 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:06 pm

Does a better job than BIOS controllers and runs fans at a much lower voltage, also puts out a 12V burst on startup.

http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g/c17/s ... Page1.html