Power Consumption by Component

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

lyoshenka

Power Consumption by Component

Post by lyoshenka » Fri May 15, 2009 3:42 pm

I don't know if this is the right forum for this but I've been having a really hard time figuring out a good estimate of how much power my planned system is going to consume. I've seen estimates from several years ago that claim things like "Motherboard consumption: 50-150W" and I have no idea how accurate these figures are or how relevant they are today.

So, my question is this: are there any sites where I can look up how much power each of my components uses (either peak or average use)? It doesn't have to be exact, but it should be a pretty narrow range and hopefully backed up by actual data.

I realize that this might not be possible (short of measuring everything myself) but I'm just wondering. Also, I've read in a lot of places (including here) that there's almost no way a typical PC uses over 300-400W, but I'd like to see actual evidence of that. The SPCR tests were done several years ago and I don't know if they still apply.

stromgald

Post by stromgald » Fri May 15, 2009 4:27 pm

There are plenty of PSU sizing calculators online, but most of them are very, very conservative. If you want to look at overall system power consumption, check out anandtech.com . Most of their CPU and motherboard reviews have overall system power consumption. They don't do individual parts because that's a lot harder to measure. For system power, you just need a $20 Kil-a-Watt meter.

Here's a link to a motherboard round-up done at the end of last year:
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3471&p=11
As you can see, power consumption for setups with high-end motherboards with only one GPU, generally top out at around 250-300W.

You have to dig through the article for their system setup, but it should be there. If you want more recent data, they have newer articles as well.

petercrab

Post by petercrab » Sun May 17, 2009 9:46 am

I did search power consumption benchmarks for similar systems to my own to get an idea. Hope this helps.