Reviews section

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Jubeidono

Reviews section

Post by Jubeidono » Sun May 17, 2009 9:08 am

Guys, just wanted to ask, is the reviews section dead? i.e. is spcr getting new stuff and reviewing them? I was looking at the graphics card section and it looks rather outdated. I can see reviews of individual components but are the recommended/reference sections being updated?

please correct me if I'm wrong

Jubei

stromgald

Re: Reviews section

Post by stromgald » Mon May 18, 2009 8:27 am

Jubeidono wrote:Guys, just wanted to ask, is the reviews section dead? i.e. is spcr getting new stuff and reviewing them? I was looking at the graphics card section and it looks rather outdated. I can see reviews of individual components but are the recommended/reference sections being updated?

please correct me if I'm wrong

Jubei
Um, there was a case review a few days ago, and from this link: http://www.silentpcreview.com/section15.html , it looks like two graphics cards were reviewed last month. Maybe I'm confused about what you're asking/looking at? SPCR isn't as big as some of the other hardware review sites. Don't expect daily articles or even articles every other day.

shleepy
Friend of SPCR

Post by shleepy » Mon May 18, 2009 9:02 am

It would also be ridiculous to review a lot of video cards in SPCR-style reviews, unless there's suddenly a new batch with a radical new cooler design.

Jubeidono

Post by Jubeidono » Mon May 18, 2009 8:46 pm

I apologise if I was misunderstood. I meant the reference sections. i.e. fans, PSU etc. Are those being updated? Also i was wondering if there was a reference ranking chart for graphics cards as well. It seems there isnt.

psiu

Post by psiu » Tue May 19, 2009 4:09 am

Jubeidono wrote:I apologise if I was misunderstood. I meant the reference sections. i.e. fans, PSU etc. Are those being updated? Also i was wondering if there was a reference ranking chart for graphics cards as well. It seems there isnt.
SPCR doesn't review cards for performance (at least not game fps style benchmarks). They do review them on things like idle/load power, assisting with video decode, and they do examine the cooling system included but those are different for each manufacturer (even more true when it's a reference nVidia or ATI card).

If you are looking for information on which model card to buy (like for gaming purposes), the best thing is find a few candidates performance wise based on other review sites and then come here to the Video Cards and Monitors sub-forum and do some searches, ask questions, etc.

Hope that helps and that I understood your question.

Jubeidono

Post by Jubeidono » Wed May 20, 2009 12:01 am

Thanks for the advice.

I was hoping I could find a chart of the following type for instance:

Nvidia 295:
ASUS model no ... 13db
Powercore ... 18db
PNY ... 22db

Nvidia 285:

etc.

Thats the kind of reference chart I was looking for. Same as the fans /psu reference charts. If anybody knows of any reference diagram like that plx let me know thanks in advance (although I have a feeling there wong be any).

Jubei

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Wed May 20, 2009 4:42 pm

I think the simple answer is that other than passive heatsink cards, there are no silent video cards. Much like just about everyone who cares about silence uses an aftermarket CPU HSF, if you want a silent gaming video card, you will have to use an aftermarket cooler. What would be useful is if SPCR did a reference table for those (a much easier task considering that there are not that many available and new ones don't come out that frequently). That said, the people on the forums seem to have a very good grasp of this situation and I would trust their advice. Just post your overall configuration (including case used and especially case fan information) and what video card -- all in the appropriate forum, of course -- and you will get good recommendations on which aftermarket cooler to use.

Jubeidono

Post by Jubeidono » Wed May 20, 2009 8:52 pm

Everybody thank you for the helpful replies.

I am not currently looking to build a new rig, just wanted to start doing some research in preparation for the release of Call of Duty MW2 in November ^^

At that time I will try to build an SSD-based silent gaming rig, but I guess thats 6 months away and by that time the available aftermarket cooling parts will have changed significantly.

Anyway, silent computing is of great interest to me, especially since I moved to japan where appliances are somehow more quiet than back home so I will be sticking around.

Jubei