refurbished vs new

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Gammatime

refurbished vs new

Post by Gammatime » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:11 pm

Hello :mrgreen:
This is going to be my first time building a pc, my question is:
For a new pc build is it better to buy refurbished parts or new items :?:

lodestar

Re: refurbished vs new

Post by lodestar » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:52 pm

It probably depends on how good the deal is. My local hardware supplier here in the UK carries quite a lot of products which it says are factory refurbished. For example a refurbished Corsair H105 All In One cooler is £75, the new price is £105. The refurbished unit has a 1 year warranty, the new unit has a 5 year warranty. So as ever, you pays your money and takes your choice...

Gunbuster

Post by Gunbuster » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:31 am

When I was younger I used to always buy from open box/clearance sections to save a bit of cash. The one benefit to buying refurb from a well known site is that you might get a warranty.

I have fans that work fine, but now tick as they spin, so bare that in mind.

Not had much experience these days.

mlgbueno

Post by mlgbueno » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:39 am

yeah, buying refurbished part depends on where you are buying the part from. it can be tricky so yeah. Personally, I have never bought a second-hand part cause I want everything brand new, it's better that way for me. A couple of my friends have bought refurb parts and they work fine :) just be careful where you buy them from and see if they can exchange the part if it is faulty and all that.

Reachable
Friend of SPCR

Post by Reachable » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:41 am

I would say it depends on whether this is going to be your main pc or something you are putting together simply for fun. Mechanical parts, especially, seem too risky, and it might even be that the original owner relinquished it because of noise.