Global warming, where art thou?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

qviri

Global warming, where art thou?

Post by qviri » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:31 am

Air temperature in Waterloo, Ontario on 6:45, March 6th, 2007: -22*C

Time spent bundling up before walking to school: 4 minutes, 23 seconds

Look on people's faces when you tell them you live closer to the equator than the people of Lyon: Priceless :D

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:45 am

Hello,

The results of global warming is not always, um, warmer temperatures everywhere all the time!

It has the effect of more extreme weather systems: more rain in some places, and more drought in others, warmer temps in some places, and colder temps in others.

When is the last time you heard of killer tornadoes in January and February in the south eastern US? We have had three (or was it four?) this year: Florida, Alabama, Georgia, and there were dozens of deaths.

This morning it was about 8F outside, but in early January we had temps above 60F.
Last edited by NeilBlanchard on Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

Post by klankymen » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:47 am

Temperature yesterday morning in Bavaria Germany at 8AM when I went to school: 16°C

Time spent putting on shorts, a t-shirt and a hoodie: 30 seconds.

The thought that last year this time I was going snowboarding for the 20th time of the season, and this year I'd been once: Far from priceless

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:32 am

Air temperature in Waterloo, Ontario on 6:45, March 6th, 2007: -22*C
:shock:

so if anyone goes out without their coat, they're dead, right? scary...

qviri

Post by qviri » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:41 am

jaganath wrote:so if anyone goes out without their coat, they're dead, right? scary...
For more than five minutes, anyhow...

... why would you go out without a coat on?

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:13 am

Its quite decent in my part of London at the moment.

13C high today 3C Low last night, tommorrow morning/tonight low of 1C, thursday and saturday we are expecting a low of 7C, but the highs are still only 13C.

What this has to do with global warming I dont know, global warming is a theory that carries a huge amount of weight, and human beings certainly have had an effect on our planet, how much is hard to say. Although I would quite like the weather to be a bit better in London in theory, however I dont want the weather to be better at all in practice, as I know that this planet is melting, and the seas are rising, the weather is becoming less predictable, the seasons are shifting and things are looking really shitty for our predecessors, unless this is not really global warming at all, and is just a general planetary shift of weather, just like a lot of ice ages were in the distant past.

Andy

snq

Post by snq » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:07 am

qviri wrote:
jaganath wrote:so if anyone goes out without their coat, they're dead, right? scary...
For more than five minutes, anyhow...

... why would you go out without a coat on?
-22 isnt that bad, in january/february it's that cold almost every day over here. Sometimes -30 or colder for a whole week and usually down to -40 a couple of times per winter :)
I once went out to fetch the mail in -25, in a tshirt, about a 100 meter walk. It was quite doable until I touched the -25 degree mailbox, then all of a sudden it started to get pretty cold and I had to run back home :P

That was a bit extreme and I only did it once, but I do regularly run out to the car to get something in just a sweater in those kind of temps, and I didn't die of it yet ;) I wouldn't recommend being outside longer than a minute or 2 without proper clothing tho.

floffe

Post by floffe » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:26 am

Freaky northener! :wink:

Nick Geraedts
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Nick Geraedts » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:17 pm

Just as an addition to this (not saying it's due to one viewpoint or the other) - Vancouver has had a good dump of snow a few times this year - the latest was just last week!

Of course, we don't get as much snow as the east does, but you'll all remember the early snow that hit Vancouver. It's been good for Whistler's ski season this year... hehe.

*wishes he was skiing*

nici

Post by nici » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:32 am

So am i the only one who has jumped from a roof into a huge pile of snow when its -30°c outside?

At the moment the weather is quite depressing really, a week a go it was -25, now it's +5, at night it will be a couple degrees below zero. So to keep incompetent drivers on the road they pour liquid salt all over the place. And because the moon is not visible it's pitch black in the night.

Food. Now. Bye :)

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:21 am

I frankly don't buy into this crap. Go back thousands of years and it may have been 30C+ in your location, this time of year......go forward thousands of years and it might be 30C+. Big deal. Nothing anyone can do to change the course of future weather patterns. Sorry......

qviri

Post by qviri » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:49 pm

klankymen wrote:The thought that last year this time I was going snowboarding for the 20th time of the season, and this year I'd been once: Far from priceless
I'm sure drivers and people who pay heating bills are enjoying it a lot more.

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:48 pm

qviri wrote:
klankymen wrote:The thought that last year this time I was going snowboarding for the 20th time of the season, and this year I'd been once: Far from priceless
I personally like driving in snow storms. I miss the snow, we only got one big storm this season in New England, currently we're getting a cold streak, but no snow, once the dry cold goes away, so will the snow, not that it's any more than crunchy stuff right now anyway. We didn't have a good snow until January, I miss winter.

nici

Post by nici » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:26 am

Last winter was cold with a lot of snow, now we got a lot of snow in november for a couple of weeks, then it went away and since then it's been crappy weather. +5-5+5-5+5-+5-5+-5 and so on. Wet and dark.

It doesn't seem to follow any pattern, some winters are just warm and some are cold. Last year this was the coldest time of the year, now it's +5 outside.

I like driving in snow too, it's great fun. And driving on snow is a hell of a lot quieter than any other surface :wink: Now if my car was rwd or 4wd i could have a lot of fun at slow speeds.

Pierce

Post by Pierce » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:28 pm

I'm sure ski lift operators and hotels aren't enjoying their lower heating bills at all.
Although I enjoy delivering advertisments at this year's temperatures.