BIG Shipping Mixup...Opinions?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

What do you think will happen?

I get to keep the tv....and Newegg doesn't charge more or ever ask about it...
12%
Newegg wants the tv back....
59%
I get to keep the tv....but Newegg contacts me or charges me more...
6%
other....any other ideas of what may happen???
24%

Total votes: 17

mouse

BIG Shipping Mixup...Opinions?

Post by mouse » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:32 pm

Ok, so I have recently been the beneficiary of quite a shipping mistake by Newegg... The short of this is that I ordered a DVD player for $75 and this is the amount both Newegg charged, and that my bank statement shows. Thing is....a DVD player is not what I received. Instead I was sent an 32" LCD tv worth about $1100!! :D I'm thinking that is quite a deal! I mean I have a brand new TV for $75 bucks....

The reason I'm posting this is to see other people's opinions on this. It seems to me that this is Newegg's mistake, therefore I should be able to keep the tv, but I don't know. Maybe someone else would know more about it... Is it possible for Newegg to charge me for the tv?? I don't have the money for a tv, so if there's a chance I'm going to end up paying....I'm gonna have to send it back. :(

I've checked the website for "fine print" talking about this kind of thing and I can't seem to find anything. Anyone know what kind of policy a place might have?? And am I going to get to keep the tv with out being charged more??

Thanks for any opinions on what I should do!

If you vote other...please specifiy!

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:19 pm

Yeah, you'll get to keep the TV for a couple weeks. Most likely after it's intended recipient contacts NewEgg to find out what happened to their TV, after which they will do a trace on the shipment.

Odds are eventually they will find out where it went and contact you. You could be sneaky and keep it (it IS tempting), but do the right thing and let them know what happened. Maybe they'll give you a store credit for your honesty and being a good customer.

My fiancée just had me watch an episode of Oprah (just what I like to do when I get home early) about scams and identity theft. You'd be surprised what you can be charged with even though you're an unwilling/unknowing participant in any of these schemes. Seems like you'd get in a lot more trouble for knowingly keeping something that doesn't belong to you (also known as stealing, or grand larceny, depending on the state).

Resist the demons within, do the right thing.

[/holier-than-thou-rant]

mouse

Post by mouse » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:36 pm

Thanks for the reply jhhoffma. I do feel that you are correct, unfortunately :( . I was planning on contacting Newegg in the next few days, knowing that as great as it seems....the right thing to do is contact them.

However, I don't think it would be because someone contacts them on a tv they are expecting... I didn't explain in my first post as I tried to keep it shorter, but the item/shipping sticker on the package that would be looked at and scanned in the shipping warehouse is listed as the dvd player. It has the item number listed for the dvd player on Newegg, and even says in small print that it is the dvd player I ordered. Maybe this still doesn't change anything....but it seems as though the record will show that I was shipped a dvd player? :?

In the meantime, I have talked to an Uncle of mine who works in the ordering and billing offices for a company. Not knowing what other companies policies are, he told me theirs....which is if they ship the wrong item, they will replace the item if it is not acceptable to the customer, but that if it is acceptable to the customer and they want to keep it, they can not charge more as it is the companies mistake....much as a false advertising type of error.

Not sure what will come of this...

kater

Post by kater » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:04 pm

Well, it's pretty natural that everyone around here already knows you'll do the right thing. I mean, I'd personally just feel like shyte every time I would use the TV.
Does it mean a thing that it was someone's mistake? Well, not to me. We all make mistakes, and then we certainly do not expect others to take advantage of it. I don't know about newegg's policy, but I'd guess they (the board, the dept head, the brass) will not want to pay for the mistake. Instead, they'll find the poor guy(s) responsible for shipping the wrong item to you or shipping the right item to the wrong address, whatever, and they'll make him/them pay.

Yeah, so hard to avoid this hollier-than-thou thing and I know I screwed up bad on this but hey I had to say this regardless. Some time ago my pal lost a new & expensive mobile phone at the movies and a kid returned it to him the following day.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:08 pm

I would keep it and see what happens...worst case Newegg calls you and arranges to have it shipped back to them. They can hardly blame you, you didn't ask for the TV, you certainly shouldn't have to pay the costs to ship it back to them.

nick705

Post by nick705 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:26 pm

jhhoffma wrote:You'd be surprised what you can be charged with even though you're an unwilling/unknowing participant in any of these schemes. Seems like you'd get in a lot more trouble for knowingly keeping something that doesn't belong to you (also known as stealing, or grand larceny, depending on the state).
[/holier-than-thou-rant]
I don't know anything about US law, but in the UK you're under no obligation to return unsolicited goods unless the supplier asks for them back and arranges for their collection.

Under the Unsolicited Goods and Services Act 1971, a trader is committing a criminal offence if he demands payment for such goods, and they automatically become your property if six months elapses without the owner having contacted you to arrange for their return (or one month if you've actually notified the trader that you have the goods and they're awaiting collection).

If it were to happen here, I'd just hang on and see what happened (or didn't), but as I said I know nothing about US law so it might not be your best course of action... :lol:

Iateronmly

Post by Iateronmly » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:13 pm

Nick -the US has basicly the same law. But the company I believe has the right to request the goods back assuming they cover all return shipping.

christopher3393

Post by christopher3393 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:14 pm

Newegg really tries hard to do right by its customers. I've done a lot of business with them and personally have never had a bad experience. My guess is you can hold on to the TV and no one will really be worse off for it on a business or legal level. I'm in no psition to pass judgement if you keep it.

So in part it depends on what you believe matters ultimately in reality. I personally believe that all of my actions have an impact at some level and that generally I'm my own worst enemy. Maybe you are being presented with an opportunity to step up and do something difficult but really positive-- for yourself, for the folks at Newegg, and for the people that read this forum. It sounds like you have a good heart and can trust it.

Faster_Madman

Post by Faster_Madman » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:58 pm

I didn't vote but i'll express my view on the matter at hand.
It's a moral question and you should do what your morals tell you.

That being said , here's what i guess could happen:
Either they never find out what went wrong and you'll never get charged for the TV and get to keep it.
In that case you'll probably never feel good about shopping at newegg anymore if they make mistakes like that , you could be in the receiving end of the bad bargain next time.
On the other hand you get a super bargain on a TV that will be obsolete in a few years.

Or they'll find out what error they made and ask for the TV back and pay for the shipping.
In that case, they might think that you're a customer that will cheat if possible and you probably won't get much goodwill from them in the future.

Personally i would contact them and make them aware of the error and get some goodwill and feel good about myself and my high moral standards and hope that it would affect my karma =)

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:09 am

You have to contact Newegg, explain what happened and arrange to send it back. Anything less is Shit Karma. My 2¢.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:38 am

I'm with Ralf.

Beyonder

Post by Beyonder » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:56 pm

My $.02: I think it's wrong to keep the TV without informing newegg. I'd call them and let them know, and also let them know that they need to deal with all of the issues of returning the television. As in, paying for shipping, and also having someone drive to your front door to get the item. It's their mistake--make it abundantly clear that you aren't paying for it or expending any energy to fix it. Also let them know you want your DVD player.

Worst case: they get someone to pick up the television at your doorstep, with no charge to you. Best case: they tell you to keep the television.

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

Post by klankymen » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:41 pm

I'm with Beyonder.

autoboy

Post by autoboy » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:46 pm

If you need a TV keep it. They have insurance for this kind of stuff. It does them no harm. There is almost no chance they will be able to trace the shipment error so they will not contact you (especially since they put the wrong tag on it). If you feel really guilty, than send it back, otherwise, if you fear legal action, forget about it, they won't contact you. I don't believe in Karma, and you are really not hurting anyone in the process. The dude that didn't get his TV will get his TV and everyone will be happy. Enjoy.

kogi

Post by kogi » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:33 am

Regardless of insurance or karma. The RIGHT thing to do is to call newegg and inform them of their mistake.

kogi

Elixer

Post by Elixer » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:34 am

Yeah, I'm a believer in quid pro quo. Newegg has done right by me several times with RMAs and great customer service. I think that as a customer you have a responsibility to return that. Just drop a line that you'd like to reimbursed for your trouble in some way. My guess is you'll get your DVD player plus some store credit.

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:45 am

Personally I'd be more hard-nosed, but then the customer service we get from companies here in the UK is generally pretty bloody awful. If it were a British company I'd have no quarms about saying nothing. If it were a British company you'd have to phone them half-a-dozen times to get them to acknowledge their mistake. Then they'd arrange a pick-up on a given day and not turn up.

Say nothing, let them do the leg-work. It's a tax on their stupidity as I see it. If their systems are up to scratch they'll notice the error and contact you. If their systems are bad, then their systems need improving and this will be a nice little incentive for them to make those improvements, won't it?

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:40 am

autoboy wrote:If you need a TV keep it. They have insurance for this kind of stuff. It does them no harm. There is almost no chance they will be able to trace the shipment error so they will not contact you (especially since they put the wrong tag on it). If you feel really guilty, than send it back, otherwise, if you fear legal action, forget about it, they won't contact you. I don't believe in Karma, and you are really not hurting anyone in the process. The dude that didn't get his TV will get his TV and everyone will be happy. Enjoy.
Trust me, using UPS or USPS, it's pretty easy to find out what went where. Each of them have their own programs than make it easy to sort through shipments and can integrate with their own invoicing systems.

However, as others stated, NewEgg is a good company that usually tries to do right by it's customers. If you want to know more, I'd suggest reading a story from last year by AnandTech.

The part about shipping to APO/FPO is enough to make me keep using them when I can.

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

Post by klankymen » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:02 pm

jhhoffma wrote:The part about shipping to APO/FPO is enough to make me keep using them when I can.
Same here, but in my case it's because I have an APO address and can't get stuff otherwise.
I don't understand why more companies don't ship to APO. I mean all they have to do is use a different zip code, the army flies it here.....

floffe

Post by floffe » Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:08 pm

The anandtech article linked above briefly mentions something about APO/FPO shipping requiring more paperwork than their regular shipping.

quikkie

Post by quikkie » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:27 am

autoboy wrote:If you need a TV keep it. They have insurance for this kind of stuff. It does them no harm. There is almost no chance they will be able to trace the shipment error so they will not contact you (especially since they put the wrong tag on it). If you feel really guilty, than send it back, otherwise, if you fear legal action, forget about it, they won't contact you. I don't believe in Karma, and you are really not hurting anyone in the process. The dude that didn't get his TV will get his TV and everyone will be happy. Enjoy.
So you're the one driving up my insurance premiums!! thanks, now I know where to send the christmas card. Remember that the insurance companies are wanting to make money, if that doesn't happen (fast enough?) their prices go up. That affects Neweggs costs which directly influences the prices YOU pay for their goods - alternatively you don't buy from them because they are too expensive, they go bust and people end up unemployed.

To the OP: Send the TV back, not only is it the right thing to do it could work to your advantage. At the very least you get gratitude and quite possibly more e.g. $$$s or vouchers.

CoolGav

Post by CoolGav » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:03 am

Turn it round. You order a new TV and newegg send you a DVD player with the tags for your TV. You phone them up and demand they send the TV. Newegg say "huh", but realise it's a mistake when they receive back yoru DVD player with the TV details. They then see who was getting that DVD player sent out the same day and contact those people to ask if they got a TV by mistake. You contacting newegg now means they'll be able to send the TV to the other customer quicker and not cost them so much, meaning they should be grateful and reward you in some way. Unlikely to be the TV, but perhaps a voucher, discount or reimburse you fro the DVD.

In the UK I've had a similar mixup from Dabs, and got them to collect the bits. The parcel was labelled to me on the outside, but the contents and note inside were for someone else. Just a packing error, but they sorted it out. I nearly kept the marginally more expensive stuff, but thought better of it quite quickly.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:09 am

To the OP: Send the TV back, not only is it the right thing to do it could work to your advantage. At the very least you get gratitude and quite possibly more e.g. $$$s or vouchers.
I say sell the TV on Ebay.

autoboy

Post by autoboy » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:24 am

So you're the one driving up my insurance premiums!!
Whatever, like a $800 TV is going to drive your premiums up when the company ships billions of $ in product. :roll: The only thing driving your costs is stupid ass lawyers who want millions to settle frivolous law suits for someone who stubbed their toe on a door stop.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: BIG Shipping Mixup...Opinions?

Post by aristide1 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:25 pm

mouse wrote:
If you vote other...please specifiy!
I wouldn't keep it. I would not have bothered hooking it up. Why torture myself? I still have to look at myself in the morning mirror. On the other hand I'd called them and let them know, but in now way, would I pay any shipping charges. I'd go as far as taking it to UPS or FedEx and that's it.

Funny - the right thing to do is not even on your list.

nick705

Post by nick705 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:58 pm

I would keep it, at least until/unless Newegg asked for it back, and I could quite happily look at myself in the mirror (being the handsome devil that I am).

I don't believe in karma - and if I did, I'd think it rude to refuse an HDTV that fate had seen fit to drop into my lap.

My philosophy, which I intend to have inscribed on my tombstone, is : "He ate that which was placed in front of him." :P

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:12 pm

Whatever, like a $800 TV is going to drive your premiums up when the company ships billions of $ in product.
That's exactly how every autobody shops drive up insurance rates for everybody, one fraud at a time, until it becomes billions.
The only thing driving your costs is stupid ass lawyers who want millions to settle frivolous law suits for someone who stubbed their toe on a door stop.
OT