Looking for a good computer desk

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

N7SC
Location: Sunny Florida, where dead people vote 3 times in a county they never even lived in!

Post by N7SC » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:08 am

Derek Baker wrote:N7SC, my monitor weighs just under 20kg and I can't believe the rest of the stuff on my desk adds another 5. I'd hope it'd be OK with only half its max load.
Yes, but what I'd worry about is how much force or load I'd put on it if I leaned on it. This can be more than you might expect. Then there are books, etc. And, if you are like me, the junk on your desk will breed at night and increase exponentially in short order. Hopefully Ikea has a built-in safety factor in the 50kg figure, so that it can actually take, maybe, 75 kg or 100 kg.

Not trying to knock the Ikea Fredrik, it looks pretty cool and you even have me thinking about something like that. Just brainstorming what goes through my mind.

I'd really like to see one and see how sturdy it is prior to buying it. The nearest Ikea to me is about 100 miles (about 160km) so that makes it a bit more of a challenge, and less likely to happen anytime soon. Besides it is in Orlando, FL which I loathe.

Derek Baker

Post by Derek Baker » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:14 am

N7SC wrote: you even have me thinking about something like that.
You've got me thinking about a sturdy fixed height desk. :)

yefi

Post by yefi » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:15 am

For me, a desk has to have huge surface area and depth. My personal preference are these ergonomic desks:

We have them at work and I was so impressed by its size (1.6-2M*1.2M) and the way I fit snugly into the grove that I bought one for myself.

seraphyn

Post by seraphyn » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:03 am

I use the IKEA Jonas. Good for single monitor setup, dual not so much.

I self-built a L shaped beam at the topback to hide cables/power sockets/wireless router and dramaticly increase sturdyness.
My friend has a frederik like (not the actual frederik, but equal in design) desk and it bends when i lean on it too much in the middle. I can sit on the Jonas without anything bending.

Derek Baker

Post by Derek Baker » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:56 am

Can't see anything I thing I like in the Jonas range here.

http://tinyurl.com/2xdv7a

Don't want anything between the legs.

Jokoto

Post by Jokoto » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:45 am

I've been using Ikea Galant (for a year or more, I forget). You have a choice with the legs - I chose the T-type to maximize space for my feet, but perhaps the A-type might have made for a more stable desk. These are a bit wobbly on their own. For my setup it doesn't matter though. Now that I got it pressed against the walls in a corner, thanks to my speaker stands, it is stationary enough. Mine is 120 cm x 60 cm but there are bigger sizes, other colors and several options like corner pieces and extensions in the Galant series. I'm not sure what I'd go for if I was looking for a new desk right now - this was a sort of compromise between stability and free floor/leg space.

Image Image