Internet connect speeds - Crappier than ever.

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Internet connect speeds - Crappier than ever.

Post by aristide1 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:18 pm

Ugh, with Road Runner Light (up to 768K) I haven't surpassed 210K at any time on any day of this year. Last night's breathtaking speed? 119K. I believe I could do better if I could run 2 land line phone modems in SLI, or would that be RAID 0?

I have no desire to go to a faster speed. Strike that. I have no desire to pay for a faster speed that I will not actually obtained. At the local college library they manage 2.0Mbps, but are they paying for 6?

Sure I don't expect to maintain the top speed and perhaps even rarely see it. I do expect 50% of it though on a regular basis, like after 11:00 pm. But nothing changes here. And DSLReports.com has others complaining of the same problems.

Earthlink goes through Time Warner, so as I asked them if I can't trust TW then there's no point n going to Earthlink, is there? I asked him to report that comment to his boss. Verizon is a no-go here, the other model of ethics and honesty (more like the fee du jour).

Now what?

qviri

Re: Internet connect speeds - Crappier than ever.

Post by qviri » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:25 pm

aristide1 wrote:Now what?
Sweden awaits :D

floffe

Post by floffe » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:26 pm

What? I only have half duplex on my 10mbit ethernet connection from the wall, thanks to crappy switches I guess. Oh, and it's $27 a month. :twisted:

z3r0

Post by z3r0 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:25 pm

aristide1 wrote:Ugh, with Road Runner Light (up to 768K) I haven't surpassed 210K at any time on any day of this year. Last night's breathtaking speed? 119K. I believe I could do better if I could run 2 land line phone modems in SLI, or would that be RAID 0?
That would be referred to as analog modem bonding.:P (Yes I know it's not common knowledge any more that could be done.)
http://www.56k.com/reports/bonding.shtml
aristide1 wrote:Now what?
Get satellite tv, and hope your local phone company's broadband internet access is not quiet as bad. :?

You know in Japan for around $25 a month you could get a 100Mbps fiber optic connection installed in your home. And if my information is correct (aka google) you can get a 1Gbps home fiber optic connection starting around $60 a month in some areas of japan, just thought I would mention that.
Example https://asahi-net.jp/en/service/ftth.html

frostedflakes

Post by frostedflakes » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:47 pm

It's crazy how fast internet is in densely populated areas of Asia. Don't a lot of European countries have 100Mbit as well?

You don't have any other options available? I'd definitely look into DSL, to add the lower speed services (such as 768/128) onto an existing phone plan is usually only $15-25/month.

Might also look into wireless options in your area. I know we have a few companies that offer terrestrial line-of-sight wireless. Of course you will have to be within LoS of the tower and install the dish on your roof, side of the house, or whatever.

EVDO wireless through Alltel just became available in our area Dec. 06 and we've been using it since. Cost is $25/month, unlimited use. You plug the phone into a USB port, dial in (pretty quick, only takes like five to ten seconds), and can surf at 400-700kbps (typically 500-600kbps for me, although I see 1Mbps+ occasionally).

The nice thing about EVDO is that no LoS is required and nothing needs to be installed (other than the phone's USB drivers onto your PC). Unfortunately, though, speeds are not spectacular, and latency is pretty bad (300-500ms, 400ms typical for me), meaning the connection is not ideal for gaming, VoIP, or other latency sensitive tasks.

Just figured I'd throw that out there, might be worth looking into. I'd definitely check out DSL first, though.

AND_YOU_ARE

Post by AND_YOU_ARE » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:46 am

I am looking forward to Verizon FIOS becoming more available in the north eastern states. I want fiber in my home like many of the pacific rim nations do.

BrianE

Post by BrianE » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:31 am

frostedflakes wrote: You don't have any other options available? I'd definitely look into DSL, to add the lower speed services (such as 768/128) onto an existing phone plan is usually only $15-25/month.
I would also look into this. Call your land line phone provider and ask about bundle options for DSL service. Either that or start calling up DSL service resellers and see what they can offer you too. I don't know where you are, but where I am there is basically ONE DSL network that companies buy wholesale from the phone company and then resell. :lol:

At least then you can get away from some of the limitations a badly run/designed cable modem service can give you. Top speeds are theoretically great, but if the network can't handle it, it can really plummet. My friend is on cable and he says it works great now, but a few years ago when the service was fairly new he was really noticing the inconsistencies. Where I am DSL speeds are virtually guaranteed (or should be). If your speed is consistently a lot slower than what it should be, you just complain to the phone company and (eventually) they should be able to fix the bottleneck. (This assumes that they've properly tested your area for speed/availability, but <1Mbit shouldn't be that hard to get.)

Fiber everywhere (like to your house) is probably coming someday, but unless there is a large demand for high bandwidth services (such as HDTV) it could take a while. Replacing all that copper wire infrastructure is expensive and time consuming, it lasts a long time, and you can pump a surprising amount of bandwidth over it if conditions are right.

Sizzle
Patron of SPCR

Post by Sizzle » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:01 am

I have 10 meg cable. I don't notice any difference over the speed of my previous 5 meg. Work pays for it, so why not get the fastest?

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:43 pm

frostedflakes wrote:You don't have any other options available? I'd definitely look into DSL, to add the lower speed services (such as 768/128) onto an existing phone plan is usually only $15-25/month.
But if you have no phone connected be prepared to add basic servce at about $20/month plus fees (multiple, ala fee du jour).

My current so called "768" is consistently doing 200. Asia has competition, we have b/s.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:46 pm

Sizzle wrote: Work pays for it, so why not get the fastest?
Yeah, it's always easy to waste other people's money. Sounds like the government.

AZBrandon
Friend of SPCR

Post by AZBrandon » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:11 pm

So I'm curious, I'm not seeing anything where you called RoadRunner and asked them to troubleshoot the connection. If you have done so, what is their reply? Also, what is your reported speed from 2 or 3 geographically close sites from this test:

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

For my own connection, this site has always been the most consistant in terms of being able to drive my internet connection at full speed (7mb/512kb in my case).

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:37 am

I have 4Mbit NTL Cable broadband (now Virgin Media), I get and have always got 3.8 - 3.9 Mb. I have no downlaod limits and have had very very few problems in the last 3 odd years of usage. Its not cheap but I would highly reccomend this for any heavy users who want all of the above.

Andy

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:52 am

Sizzle wrote:I have 10 meg cable. I don't notice any difference over the speed of my previous 5 meg. Work pays for it, so why not get the fastest?
10 Meg cable in Saginaw?? Man, I thought I was the $hite when I was the only guy on the block who had 2mbps cable when I was living there a 4 years ago. GR only has 6mbps standard and 9 for the upper tier (~$100/mo).

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Fri May 04, 2007 1:27 pm

20MB on its way 8)

Andy

psiu

Post by psiu » Fri May 04, 2007 3:57 pm

Are you sure it's 768? Our RR Light offering here is listed as 512.