Fans for people

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jimmyfergus

Fans for people

Post by jimmyfergus » Fri May 11, 2007 5:23 am

Personal fans... room fans... This must have been discussed here, but my search queries haven't uncovered it...

Does anyone have recommendations for quality, quiet fans for cooling people, particularly while sleeping? Ideally, I'd like a ceiling fan, but I'm a renter and it isn't really an option.

I have a couple of cheap fans, and the noise is really annoying, so I'm looking for something good. Vornado fans seem to have pretty good reviews on Amazon, but some say they're not that quiet, and they don't last well.

Then again, I have 2 unused 120mm Antec Tricools and a Yate Loon, so perhaps I could rig up an array of them... The output would be weak, but they'd be much quieter than normal room fans so perhaps mounted close to the bed would make a pleasant breeze.. Anyone have any good ideas on how to mount them. I suppose at the least I could rig something up with a wire coathanger... Then the biggest worry would be keeping them out of reach of my toddler.
Last edited by jimmyfergus on Fri May 11, 2007 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri May 11, 2007 5:44 am

IsaacKuo

Post by IsaacKuo » Fri May 11, 2007 5:58 am

At the top of this post is a cheap fan I got from Walmart: Single fan madness pt 9 - Big Fan Glass Server

That product claims to be "whisper quiet". Yeah right! No, it's LOUD, even at the "low" setting. However, it takes a 12v power input, so it's trivial to use a universal power adapter to undervolt it. Most fans take high voltage directly from the wall, so undervolting isn't so easy.

When undervolted to 3v and set to "Low", the fan is pretty quiet but still rattly. It doesn't blow a lot of air, though. If you bump up the speed a bit, it'll blow a useful amount of air, and the noise will still be bearable.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Fri May 11, 2007 9:13 am

you could get a 25cm fan like Felger Carbon uses.also crossflow fans (aka tower/oscillating) are supposed to be quiet.