LCD Computer Monitors with Glass Screens

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

DeeLondon

LCD Computer Monitors with Glass Screens

Post by DeeLondon » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:36 pm

My 19 inch Sony G420 which is 4 years old is starting to die and looking for a replacement I was thinking of going to an LCD screen to get more desk space.

However I find compared to a Trinitron Screen most LCD's are kinda Dull looking and the whites aren't very white and blacks not very black.

However I have seen a few screens including my Packard Bell Laptop which has a Glass over it which both makes it easier to keep the screen clean and also brightens up the display hugely.

In the case of the Packard Bell Laptop it's called "Diamond View"

http://support.packardbell.com/uk/item/ ... pb46c00101

Wondering what others thought of these screen with the filters on them? And any recommendations.

Seen a few HP LCD Screen which have a similar system and they look pretty good as well.

based in the UK BTW - so any UK specific links to suppliers of such screens would be great.

grosskur

Post by grosskur » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:27 pm

I haven't seen a Diamond View monitor, but AIUI almost every screen manufacturer has their own version of anti-reflective screen technology. (Acer: CrystalBrite; Asus: Color Shine/Crystal Shine; Dell: TrueLife; Fujitsu: CrystalView/SuperFine; Gateway: UltraBright; HP: BrightView; Sony: XBRITE; Toshiba: TruBrite.) See the ScreenTek's explanation of anti-reflective technology for much more detail.

Some may be better than others, but from what I've heard they're all pretty good. I know these technologies are common on laptops and HDTVs, but I've only seen them on a few desktop monitors.

Keep in mind that the type of panel the LCD uses can also make a big difference in picture quality. TN is probably the most common, but P-MVA, S-PVA, and S-IPS may be better. (Personally, I'm extremely happy with my S-IPS Dell 2007WFP.) Recently, some panels are starting to use LED backlights rather than CCFL.

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:38 am

Since you are sensitive to the poor image quality of the LCDs compared with CRTs, this might be the only one to satisfy you:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... 10&subcat=
It is expensive, twice the price of a TN based 20" LCD, but it's worth it. I wish I could afford it, but in my country it costs 100 quid more.
Right now only a few professional LCDs have LED backlighting, and are hugely expensive, but this should change next year.