General Backup Questions

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

disphenoidal

General Backup Questions

Post by disphenoidal » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:53 pm

This weekend I need to go fix my parent's computer. According to my dad, ever since he tried to download some program when he turns on the computer it turns itself off a few seconds after loading Windows. So it sounds like he downloaded a virus. In his defense, the program was supposed to be something to do with radio propagation, not the usual CLICK HERE YOU WON! crap. I'm expecting that I'll just have to reinstall the O/S. Luckily I installed the O/S on a separate partition, so I won't lose everything, but I got to thinking about backup methods.

How do you guys backup your systems? I'm guessing RAID 1 wouldn't work, because then I would just have two identical infected disks, right? I've seen a backup utility in Windows, is it any good? I'm not really sure where to start with this. How do I restore different types of backups? I'd like to be able to both store a copy of the disk just after installing the O/S and select applications, so I can revert to that, as well as keep differential backups of my data. Thanks.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:44 am

I have my disc partitioned so that all my data is on a separate partition from the OS. I backup my data regularly to several external drives using Syncback (it's free). I make an image of my OS partition every week using Acronis True Image (not free). These images are stored on my external b/u drives, which are rotated regularly, with one always in my Safe Deposit Box. I'm comfortable with this scheme, and it's fairly "hands-off".

jbw

Post by jbw » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:05 am

I use a file backup program (I use Save-n-Sync which is not free but some are) to sync my data folders to an external hard drive. Every once in a while, I burn things to DVD.

I don't use an image backup program b/c I don't care about OS settings. If my system becomes corrupted, I'll just reinstall the OS.

Mr Evil

Post by Mr Evil » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:05 am

I keep all important data in its own folders so it's easy to back up without wasting space on all the other rubbish. It's also on a separate hard drive so that I can reinstall the OS without disturbing it. There's maybe 20GB in total, but only about 1GB that changes regularly, so it's not hard to just manually copy that out to DVD at regular intervals. The hardest part is determining exactly what data is irreplaceable and what is fluff.

You're right that RAID does not work as a backup, it only prevents down-time due to disc failure.

If you're really serious about backing up then there are a few things to remember:
  • Verify that the backups work. Do this by actually trying to restore from them. It's better to spend time doing that than to find out that something is wrong after a disaster.
  • Keep at least one copy in a physically distant location to protect against things like fire that might destroy the whole building.
  • Use multiple types of media to reduce the risk of a whole batch going bad at once.

disphenoidal

Post by disphenoidal » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:50 pm

Okay, I think I know what I'll do when I get it rebuilt. Once I have the O/S and a couple programs on, I'll create an image and make bootable disk that can restore the image. I saw a few utilities that allow you to do this. Then I'll use something else, possibly SyncBack, to make differential backups from there. Hopefully this way I can leave the restore disk with them and they can easily reinstall the O/S if they have to again. Thanks for the advice.

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:57 am

Ralf recommended SyncBack to me a few years back, I used it and have passed other people onto it. All have been pleased and happy with it.

Definately gets my vote... the price is very reasonable too..... :D

Pete

EDIT: For anybody searching these old topics, you could also use dirsync... works on linux and windows. Little bit 'clunky' visually but does what is needed and shares the same price bracket as Syncback... Free!... :wink: