How Harry Potter Ends!

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Aris

How Harry Potter Ends!

Post by Aris » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:50 pm

Here it is, its on wikipedia, and i have to say, im very dissapointed. I wanted some MAIN characters to die.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione all live.

the main characters that die that JK Rowling spoke of were proffesor snape and dobby.

BLAH! what a cop out.

theres even an epiloge at the end that supposedly takes place like 15-20 years after the last books main story. harry marry's ron's little sister and has 3 kids, ron marry's hermione and have kids. everyone lives happily ever after.

:roll: *sigh* lame

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:59 am

I think it would be prudent to put SPOILERS tag into the title Aris since not everybody got the book or read it already.

I think two main characters to die that JKR was referring to were Lupin and Fred since these two were much closer to Harry than anybody else.

Anyway, I was somewhat disappointed by ending as well. Yes, the epilogue was lame, not because Ron and Hermione married, but because it set a definitive tone that everything ended well and that there will be no more books. If the epilogue was set right after the Voldemort death it would have been left to readers imagination what happened after that (what if Voldemort came back to life again some years later, or what other adventures Harry trio might have had), with the epilogue set 19 years after, this is a definitive end which leaves no room for imagination, no room for different possibilities, different interpretations.

However, the most disappointing aspect was indeed the fact that Harry survived. What about "one cannot live without the other"? Harry should have died, IMO that would have been a far more fitting end to the book. I was hoping for something serious, more adult like, however unfortunately that didn't happen and Harry Potter turned out to be a true childrens book. There is nothing wrong with that, I still enjoyed reading it, but I just wished it to be a little more serious.

Mescalero

Post by Mescalero » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:32 am

JazzJackRabbit wrote:
However, the most disappointing aspect was indeed the fact that Harry survived. What about "one cannot live without the other"?
It's exactly the opposite. "One has to die for the other to live." Plus harry did die, sort of.

I found the epilogue to be very kitschy also, but I guess she wanted to deliver some closure.

derekva

Re: How Harry Potter Ends! <SPOILERS>

Post by derekva » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:39 am

Aris wrote:
the main characters that die that JK Rowling spoke of were proffesor snape and dobby.

BLAH! what a cop out.
<SPOILER>

Let's not forget Fred (Weasley), Tonks, Lupin, Moody as well as a bunch of third-tier characters. But I agree that no main characters were offed...unless you count Voldemort.

Aris

Post by Aris » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:20 pm

I think the title "how harry potter ends" is enough of a "spoiler alert" message. Anything else is redundant.

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:41 am

Aris wrote:I think the title "how harry potter ends" is enough of a "spoiler alert" message. Anything else is redundant.
Not necessarily, it may mean you meant to create a topic discussing possible ending, not the actual one.

autoboy

Post by autoboy » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:28 am

I liked it well enough. I was a little disappointed that no main character died, and I should never have read the epilogue. Part of Harry did die, but i wish he had lived because he was the master of death and not because of some other crap. This is a childrens book and it ends with a good message. I'm sad it is over for good.