Anyone measure their computer usage

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

elec999

Anyone measure their computer usage

Post by elec999 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:28 pm

I would like to put together a chart, of how much a computer, based on cpu x, with components x uses on idle and full load. Example q6600, Asus P5B, 2gb ram, 74g raptor, 8600 gts. Uses 100watt idle/170watt load.
Is this a good idea. I know the Amd 45watt would use alot less.
Thanks

SoopahMan

Post by SoopahMan » Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:21 pm

Look around. Sites like Anandtech already do this for you, with a lot of free resources you don't have.

fresh

Post by fresh » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:24 pm

I for one think it's a great idea. Given time, when enough data is gathered, it will be very useful information to people who are putting together new machines.

I will post my results soon, but am unABLE to do so at the moment.

There is one more thing you should take into consider. Case fans. When I left everything pasive in yesico case, my power consumption was 4 watts lower as is now with lian li case, where I am vacating 3 additional case FANs.

Good job :P

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:22 am

Elec, you pick a very difficult assignment because every component is going to be a variable in the final equation. You can probably create some good ranges (ex: 110-120 watts or maybe a little bit larger. This is the reason some websites provide power supply calculators. Those things ask the usual questions and some not so usual, like number of memory sticks, whether you are overclocking, how much extra OC voltage. It all factors in, but yes usually just very small amounts.

What I would like to see is the day VRMs are used on the motherboard to control all voltages and the pc could be powered directly from just a 12V battery. Then solar powered pc's, especially folders, would be feasible without the Pico PSU.

elec999

Post by elec999 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:08 pm

I am using an EM100 UPM power meter.
Power usage
Amd Sempron 3400+
Asus K8N4-E Deluxe
1GB (2x512) DDRAM
WD 160gig IDE HD
Video 4MB
OCZ 600w

Power at TURN on 70watt
Windows Load 61w-77w
Full LOAD (seti) - 81watt

Does this seem right, only 10w more, on idle vs load. Or Could my power meter be bad.

Power Usage
Asus P5B
Celeron 420
4GB (4x1GB) DDR2
WD 250GB Sata2
Nvidia Quadro PCI-E

IDLE 0.85Ax120v 102watt
Full LOAD (seti) 0.94Ax120V 112watt

Once again these results dont seem right to me.

Thanks

Copper
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Copper » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:37 am

It likely has something to do with "power factor." I don't really understand the principle other than I know it produces results like you're seeing, and that the electric meter on the outside of our houses are designed to correct it such that we are billed for what we are really using.

A Kill-O-Watt meter, and others like it, make this correction as well. Additionally, it will measure kilowatt hours over whatever period you like. Plug your computer into it and it will measure away. Leave it for a month and you can see how much electric you have used for that month.

=====================================

Having recently made the jump to a laptop, all I can say is a desktop is a power hog. I'm typing on a Dell Inspiron that uses 15 watts @ idle which includes the monitor! My best system in the desktop world which included a massively underclocked and undervolted P4 consumed close to 50 watts sitting idle, including its monitor.